• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

West Orange EDACS

The West Orange EDACS system has been sounding terrible lately. I live right in town and they are very scratchy and sometimes cut out completely. I also notice that often the dispatcher audio comes in very low and almost inaudible. I'm wondering if the system is having problems. I know someone posted here a while back saying that West Orange may be upgrading to a digital system this year, but I have not seen anything more about it since then. I know EDACS is EOL at this point so just wondering what they may be looking to do.

slingshot202

Premium Subscriber
Some days I can barely hear units and then others it is like they are sitting in the room with me. I have not noticed any poor reception, but then again I would have to look to see if I am receiving them at all.

Sometimes I notice that I have 1 bar on them and the scanner does not move, so I am sure it has to be them or a tower that is down.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I get them full strength in West Caldwell on my SDS200. I set the filter to wide normal and they sound ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter what I use and try they sound like crap a low scratchy mess in Verona.
I noticed in particular the 853.6625 frequency is especially bad for me. Whenever they transmit on that frequency they always sound worse than when they transmit on the others. Luckily 6625 is not used for control channel purposes or I probably wouldn't be able to pull them in at all.

I get west orange 100% in Linden on my sds100 with filter set to wide normal had the same problem with irvington pd coming in very noisy low signal until i changed the filter to INVERT now they sound like their tower is down the street. so, if you have a sds100 or 200 experiment with filter settings to see what works best