Westchester County trunking questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreek

1. What are the correct base configurations? I have seen different configs on another website than what is posted on the database here.

2. I don't seem to be able to pick up trunking activity while in the North part of the County but it seems to work ok in the South. If there is a fire in Hastings, for instance, shouldn't I be able to hear transmissions even if I'm in Yorktown? Isn't that the purpose of having separate North and South frequencies.

3. What is "status bit' and "end code" mean? Should I have them programmed on or off?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance!!

Bill

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Hello, Bill. Hopefully, I can help out here. This is a UHF Smartzone system, which means everything is repeated through both North and South zones as you stated. You must program North and South in separate banks; they can NOT be in the same back or system with each other.

Base configuration on this website is correct, but you have to do it manually, as if you are downloading directly from RR.com, for whatever reason, it does not set the base/offset/ch for you.

Quote from this website:

North Zone, Range 1: Base = 470.0 MHz, Step = 12.5 kHz, Channel = 380

South Zone, Range 1: Base = 469.525 MHz, Step = 12.5 kHz, Channel = 380
South Zone, Range 2: Base = 476.075 MHz, Step = 12.5 kHz, Channel = 526

End code and status bit you can leave off.
Hope this helps...the Westchester system is a damned good system, good to listen to.

scannerfreek

Thanks very much for that info. I do not have the two zones in different banks. I will have to change that. Probably will solve a lot of problems. Every time I think I have these trunking systems figured out I learn something new!!

Thanks again!

Live long and prosper!

Alarms50

scannerfreek said:
1. What are the correct base configurations? I have seen different configs on another website than what is posted on the database here.

The settings you saw on the other site of Base=475.75, Step=12.5, Channel=500 will also work for the South Zone.

The Channel 526 listed here and 500 on the other site are, from my understanding, just arbitrary Channel Numbers assigned to the Base Frequency. The Base Frequency is the lowest frequency in the system that a number is assigned to. If you calculate the two settings, by adding 26 12.5kHz(0.0125) steps from Channel 500=475.75MHz you will get the result of Channel 526=Base 476.075. The 500 & 526 Numbers are arrived at by using tracking software that records what Channel Number is assigned to the frequency that the system is using.
If this is not correct, anyone who knows more feel free to correct me.

D

DaveNF2G

The Base number represents the lowest channel number available in the bandplan being used. 526 will work as long as the system does not use any channel numbers lower than 526. 500 is safer.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
a bank is a storage allotment for programming frequencies. It varies from 50 to many other variable numbers. A group is an identifier for an agency within a trunked system. For example animal control for my county of nassau is 03-014. This is their talkgroup number in that system. System is the particular type of design the system has. Example,nassau county ny has a trunked system called edacs wide. Suffolk county has a system called motorola mixed analog/digital. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Westchester1

The new terminology of this scanner (BCD996T) takes some getting used to. I need to just plan things out on paper to keep things organized. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.