• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

whacker ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motolover

I know this fourm to well but ill ask anyway. I really like the crown vic and i am a ham so i would be putting radios in my car. the only thing is i dont want to be called a whacker. so if i flamed the car out it people would odviously know im not a cop. i would not be putting any kind of lights on this car all it would be is my radios. what do you think ?

KC9LDB

meah, i am still called a whacker at work just for having a my mts 2000 and my systems saber and my ham rig in the car, but that term is used very loosely with people i know, no sirens or lights and a nice looking install and im sure you'll be fine, lol nice question

Last edited:

jleverin

I my humble opinion, having a crown vic with radios doesn't necessarily make you a whacker-it's what you do with it. Granted, I think those people that install lights and sirens and crap on ANY car like that when they have no official need are a little whacked in the head. If you are just using it for everyday driving and not running to every emergency out there getting in the way of the REAL COPS and FIRE DEPT you probably won't be a nuisance to everyone. I personally wouldn't WANT to drive anything that looks like a cop car because around here people sometimes try to vandalize people's cars by how they appear(friend's daughter got the crap beat out of her car just driving through a certain area of town and is now having to prosecute the creeps to get her car fixed) but that is up to you.

2gigch1

Premium Subscriber
I think you would be fine to use a good, proven vehicle such as a Crown Vic as long as you 'messed up' the image a bit so even non-trained individuals can see you are not a cop or cop wanna be.

A ham specialty plate announcing your call sign, or a bumper sticker or two regarding the hobby both destroy the police doppleganger tendency and inform the public about a cool pastime.

hoser147

I inherited a white CV when my uncle passed away a few years ago the only thing I had on it was a scanner antenna. No matter your still going to get looks as if you are a unmarked car. Nice ride though, We had several in our dept. They are one of the easiest cars to install coax in for antenna's and are a nice ride with plenty of room. Who really cares what others think, its your car. Its kinda like driven a tank compared to most of the cars on the road nowdays. The transmission finally gave out and I still got 250 bucks for it salvage. Got a good laugh when the guy came to get it he decided to drive it to the yard. Took him about 5 min. to get to the end of the block..............Hoser

CLTX11

Do what you want, who cares what other people think. Just keep it legal and you should have no problem.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Tfitzmaurice89 said:
They are fun.... but just wait untill you have to fill that V-8 up... lol.

gas at $4.00 a gallon this summer, your gonna be hurtin!

Many ex-fleet CVs can run on CNG. Dont know if it is any cheaper, or even avaliable.

The CV is not as bad on gas as you would think. Most small trucks/SUVs with a V6 get far worse mileage.

Personally, I really do think that all the civvy CV drivers are whackers at one level or another. I mean really, who buys them new off the ford lot? I bet if you walked into a dealer and asked for one, they would send you over to the fleet manager. Even the Grand Marquis and the Town Car are as rare as hens teeth on lots. I mean they are decent cars if you want something thats fairly rugged, Ford has had 20 years to perfect it afterall. But then again, it is basically a "new" 20+ year old car. The interior volume is poor compared to the exterior dimensions. Up until a year ago, the impressivly large trunk was halfway taken up by an impressivly large spare tire. I dont buy that people buy vehicles EVER for the most utility, rather they buy cars for emotional reasons. There is no doubt that people that buy CVs are either retired cops whose butt's now conform to CV seats exclusivly or people that want to appear as cops. If you think you cna remove the emotion from the equation and you can reason up a need for a large RWD sedan, then go with a charger/magnum/300. There are few arguments to be made against it as the superior vehicle except the garbage visibility for anyone taller than 5'6" (which shouldnt be an issue since most whackpackers suffer from the napoleon complex anyways.):D

Wait, a Highschool english teacher of mine had a brand new CV all frilled up with whitewalls and carriage top.

but her husband was a retired cop:lol:

mciupa

DB Administrator
motolover said:
I know this fourm to well but ill ask anyway. I really like the crown vic and i am a ham so i would be putting radios in my car. the only thing is i dont want to be called a whacker. so if i flamed the car out it people would odviously know im not a cop. i would not be putting any kind of lights on this car all it would be is my radios. what do you think ?
Having doubts about your "image" makes you sound like you have low self-esteem.:(

Therefore, don't do it.

RodStrong

Austin4Wyo said:
Wow...just...wow.
Is that a paint ball gun those guys have in the rifle rack? So they are taking down bad guys on felony stops with paint ball guns? Hell yeah Wow.

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
IMHO, i think having a CV is sort ridiculous as your everyday car, unless you having something to do with emergency services etc. I've seen Just standard civilian CV back up traffic SO FAR cause everyone thought it was a cop.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
If you have a Crown Vic and pimp it out with antennas, somebody is going to call you a whacker. If you add lights to that and you're a volunteer or not involved in public safety at all, then you'll probably be considered a whacker by someone. If you install everything stealth so nobody has a clue but you then walk around with half a dozen radios and a pager going off and no visible means to show that you'r acting in some official capacity as a public safety official, some would consider you a whacker or simply a freak.

Or, you might be mistaken for the stereotypical amateur radio operator [I'm not the stereotypical amateur radio operator]. And this is probably even worse than being mistaken for a whacker rofl.

A lot of hams, wannabe police/fire officials and your average batlabs radio geeks with more antennas sticking out of them and/or their car than they have fingers are going to be whackers or freaks, no matter how you slice it. If don't bathe often and you have a gut that you let flop in the wind and then talk about all of the non-human friends you have around the house, you'll likely be classified as a ham.

I've been a ham since the early 90s, but rarely would somebody have a clue when I'm out in public since I don't go around flashing my ham-penii [antennas]. It's possible to enjoy the hobby and still be what others would consider a 'normal' member of society. So it all depends on how you wanna play the game.

I'm telling you how it is from my POV. Not all people with radios blaring and pagers going off in public are whackers, and not all hams walk around stinking. But some do. You just have to exercise some good judgement if you don't want to be improperly categorized.

Mike

Last edited:

CVPI4Ever

I used to have a 97 CVPI and now own a 2006 CVPI. Very good cars and not as bad on gas as one might think.

Just keep it legal and you wont have a problem.

rabidjade

The equipment doesn't make a whacker, it's the person and the way the equipment is used that makes the whacker.

I like the CV for the V8 and RWD but you couldn't pay me to drive one as a daily driver and there are other vehicles out there than can surpass anything a CVPI can do in the role as a civilian daily driver.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
YOU'RE A WHACKER!

Now that's been said and done with install the radio and skip the flame job. If one should ask "Is that a CB?" just stick your nose in the air and in your best Jeeves the butler voice say "No, (sniff) it's a HAM radio." Then before he can answer turn on your heel and walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.