• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Are Typical Costs Involved w/ a Business Radio System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron_B

And just because I have to throw my $.02 as well, if you go with anything other than Motorola/Kenwood (i usually see Hytera as the common alternative) just expect to have the Hytera radios replaced within 1.5 years if you are going to be using them for anything other than light office work. Pricing for a digital CP200d is usually $450 and pricing for an SLR5700 (SLR5700 is actually $500 cheaper than the SLR1000) digital repeater is usually $2400 if you are paying more than this for these items tell your vendor you will need some competitive bids and the vendor will lower it.

Edit: I would also highly recommend going digital as purchasing an analog system nowadays is like buying an iPhone 3 in 2018. Yes, the iPhone 3 can do the basic functions you want it to and yes its slightly cheaper than a newer iPhone, but, as soon as you want to download that new app and/or integrate your iPhone 3 with anything else, you will be faced with the reality that you will need to have it replaced with a newer model in order to achieve what you set out to do.

Last edited:

MFG_rrt

And just because I have to throw my $.02 as well, if you go with anything other than Motorola/Kenwood (i usually see Hytera as the common alternative) just expect to have the Hytera radios replaced within 1.5 years if you are going to be using them for anything other than light office work. Pricing for a digital CP200d is usually $450 and pricing for an SLR5700 (SLR5700 is actually $500 cheaper than the SLR1000) digital repeater is usually $2400 if you are paying more than this for these items tell your vendor you will need some competitive bids and the vendor will lower it.

Edit: I would also highly recommend going digital as purchasing an analog system nowadays is like buying an iPhone 3 in 2018. Yes, the iPhone 3 can do the basic functions you want it to and yes its slightly cheaper than a newer iPhone, but, as soon as you want to download that new app and/or integrate your iPhone 3 with anything else, you will be faced with the reality that you will need to have it replaced with a newer model in order to achieve what you set out to do.
Good insight. Thanks for the information, and the others as well.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
IPSC is a very simple architecture that I do believe would suit your needs exactly based on description.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Understood. I was talking about an external IP to 2 or 4 wire interface.

As mmckenna stated, something like a JPS NXU-2A connected to a mobile at each end would be much more cost effective if all you're trying to do is link the sites and have decent simplex coverage.

Not everything needs a repeater...

In addition, Hytera offers analog IPSC in their RD982S model....so that's a thing too...

MFG_rrt

IP Site Connect. One SLR5700 repeater at each location with duplexer and antenna. CP200d subscribers. Simple, done!

Just to update: I've got two local providers coming out to quote implementing an IP Site Connect system.

Thanks for the advice.

12dbsinad

Just to update: I've got two local providers coming out to quote implementing an IP Site Connect system.

Thanks for the advice.

I'd get other vendors to come out and quote if you can.

Do you have existing WiFi in the buildings? Look at Icom's IP radios.... they are slick.

MFG_rrt

I'd get other vendors to come out and quote if you can.

Do you have existing WiFi in the buildings? Look at Icom's IP radios.... they are slick.
No we don't have existing wifi in any of the building except one, which is the office. I should have mentioned out of the two sites, there are actually 4 separate buildings. One of the offices has wifi, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.