• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

What are you reading?

Dawn_Adams

Premium Subscriber
What are you reading at this moment? What genres do you enjoy reading? Who are some of your favorite authors? What magazines and newsletters do you subscribe to? I'll start off.

I'm currently reading "Pledged - The Secret Life of Sororities" by Alexandra Robbins. This is non-fiction, but reads like a novel. Quite an eye opener, makes me very glad I was never in a sorority.

I like reading just about anything, fiction, non-fiction, history, etc. My favorite genre is murder mysteries. Some of my favorite authors are Max Collins, Patricia Cornwell, Clive Cussler, Vince Flynn, James Patterson, and just about anyone who writes Star Trek novels.

I only subscribe to one magazine - Navy Times. Sort of like the National Enquirer for Navy stuff, but fun to read.

Post your favorite books and authors.

RayAir

I like to read technical books and some fiction such as Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.

Right now I am reading:

Secure Communications by Roger Sutton

&

Security For Telecommunications Network Management by Moshe Rozenblit

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Database Admin
A couple books right now- always in the middle of at least a few.

For Enjoyment:
Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman!- Feynman
Benjamin Franklin: An American Life- W. Isaacson

Required Reading:
Organic Chemistry- Bruice
Mahabharata- Vyasa

It'll be interesting to see everyone's choices.

Caddop22

The Shack

I recently finished reading The Shack by William P. Young. I found myself putting the book down and reflecting on my self at times. I recommend it....

slkrueck

Just finished up Protect & Defend by Vince Flynn. Good author. I also enjoy reading David Baldacci, Dick Francis and Terry Pratchett's disc world novels.

Getting ready to start Walking in Circles before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe. After that, it's back to the library.

RayAir

Jackpot, Harrah's Winning Secrets for Customer Loyalty by Robert L. Shook,
Restless Skies: The Ultimate Weather Book by Paul Douglas

&
Introductory Astronomy by Keith Holliday

RayAir

Finished "The American Black Chamber" and am now reading "The Code Book".
The Code Book was good.
Crypto Corner

You will probably like Wireless Security: Models, Threats and Solutions by Randall K. Nichols and Panos C. Lekkas, it touches on written ciphers then goes into analog scrambling and then digital encryption for just about any communications device, even wi-fi.

keepitsimple

I actually read news online a lot. I don't seem to read too many books these days. Last week I picked up my copy of Atlas Shrugged and read a bit of it. It seemed appropriate with all that's going on.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I recently finished Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler, looking forward to his scheduled releases of Corsair, Medusa, Spartan Gold and Wrecker, all in '09. I'm currently reading Star Trek: A Singular Destiny.

Matt93

To be technical, I'm reading this thread. But not to be technical, I'm reading "The Anatomy of a Traffic Stop" (forgot the author)

Dawn_Adams

Premium Subscriber
Cussler and Star Trek

I recently finished Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler, looking forward to his scheduled releases of Corsair, Medusa, Spartan Gold and Wrecker, all in '09. I'm currently reading Star Trek: A Singular Destiny.
"A Singular Destiny" was a pretty good book. I bought "Artic Drift", but haven't read it yet. I just bought "Corsair" and that one sounds really good. I'll probably read that one next. I like the Dirk Pitt series and Juan Cabrillo series, but can't seem to get into the Kurt Austin series. So many different series to keep track of, LOL.

davidbond21

Finished reading Hunter S Thompson's The Great Shark Hunt Volume 1 and have started on Lieh-Tzu- A Taoist Guide to Practical Living. Pretty incongruous.