• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

What are you reading?

SCPD

I'm reading the series "Millennial Hospitality" by Charles James Hall. I purchased them in e-book format on Amazon.

I'm just finishing up the third book. The series is about the experiences of the author as a military weather observer out on the deserts of Nevada in the mid 1960's. Today, those deserts are part of what is commonly refered to as "Dreamland" and Area 51.

What he observed, out upon those desert ranges, would "rock" your present mental picture of "reality". It certainly "rocked" his world. He slowly unfolds a well kept secret that has been hidden from us for decades, presumably because "We can't handle the truth".

Last edited:

russellmaher

My current read is "Command Authority", Tom Clancy's newest before he passed away.

I am halfway through it and am enjoying it very much.

It's keeping my attention, for sure.

Russell

Scorpius

Just finished Gone Girl after all the hype but wish I hadn't bothered. Too many plot holes fo rmy liking.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
" The Kings Deception" by Steve Berry.

FF - Medic !!!

Do not waste your time with this book. The Author has twists and turns of characters - one character is the good guy, then they are the bad guy. One character was at a particular location, then a few pages down....it is listed as another character.

I give the book more attention than what I wanted, in an effort to explain itself. The book goes back and forth from the 16th and 17th century to present day ; and "babbles on and on"

Characters switch so much - it is extreamely difficult to keep track of, and paint a mental picture of the events and locations in your head. One character wants to give his son a "Mouth Swab" (for DNA) then another character is doing it.

I made it halfway through the book, after disliking it from the beginning, but I give the author the benefit of the doubt. It is now in the trash can.

I have read some really poor books in my lifetimes....this one tops them all.

I bought it at a Wal-Mart for those of you whom are interested.

FF - Medic !!!

The books I read were: The Monkeys Paw,Secerts In The Shawdows, and The Bully. I also am reading the novel Running Out Of Time. All of them have been really good books.

custompunk

Premium Subscriber
Just finished a quick read fiction book about religion and Mars called "The Secrets of Time" by Gary Strum

Currently learning math with "Mathematical Sorcery" by Calvin Clawson

russellmaher

I'm currently reading "Here's Johnny" by Ed McMahon, and I'm about halfway through it. The book was published in 2005 and Johnny Carson died on January 23rd, so Ed McMahon must have scrambled to put this together and have the publisher get it to market. The book retailed for $24.99 then, but I found it at a second hand store for $2.99 and it was in perfect condition.

Anyway, it is a very good read with lots of funny bits from the Tonight Show, and some things about the relationship of these two men that most of us never knew. As I read this, I can visualize many of the things that happened on the show, and many of the characters that Johnny developed and I enjoyed all those years ago,

Carnac the Magnificent, Aunt Blabby, Art Fern and the Tea Time Movie were my favorite sketches. I surely remember Carol Wayne as the eye candy that stood next to Art Fern. She didn't have to do anything clever....just stand there!

All the wild animals brought on the show that either terrorized Johnny or made him laugh, and the hundreds of people that he interviewed, and many that he gave a start on TV and went on to successful careers in the entertainment business. He was the best and his longevity on television proves it.

My only complaint with the book is that it only has 271 pages, and should have been much larger to let me enjoy more of the stories that Ed shares with the reader. I enjoyed reading it and enjoyed the memories that it returned to me.

ke6gcv

Currently I'm reading "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. I have that in eBook. Plus I've got 2 Kevin Mitnick books: "The Art of Deception" and "The Art of Intrusion."

I've got his first book ("The Art of Deception") in paperback and read it some time ago. Just recently bought both in eBook. I want his third book.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
At this moment, I'm reading "The Madagaskar Plan," by Guy Saville. It's a sequel to "The Afrika Reich." Both books are fiction/thrillers set in an alternate history in which Great Britain made peace with Germany after Dunkirk and Hitler was successful in all his plans for Germany, Europe and other parts of the world.

Dawn_Adams

Premium Subscriber
I'm reading the series "Millennial Hospitality" by Charles James Hall. I purchased them in e-book format on Amazon.

I'm just finishing up the third book. The series is about the experiences of the author as a military weather observer out on the deserts of Nevada in the mid 1960's. Today, those deserts are part of what is commonly refered to as "Dreamland" and Area 51.

What he observed, out upon those desert ranges, would "rock" your present mental picture of "reality". It certainly "rocked" his world. He slowly unfolds a well kept secret that has been hidden from us for decades, presumably because "We can't handle the truth".
Now that sounds pretty interesting! I like to read that kind of stuff. Will have to check that out.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.

I read his first book,and it was a little slow getting to the point but ok i hear that his other book to follow are better all in all it was a good book.......

Currently, Learn Router OS. Been thinking about rereading Vixen07 or Nightprobe! by Clive Cussler or perhaps read up-to-date on the Issac Bell series.