• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What can be done about a base holding 19 keyed down for months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouisx50

There is a base station near me which has had ch 19 locked down for about a 15 miles radius. This is hard key an accidental dead key. This has obviously been done on purpose as one day I heard 2 guys go at it for a good 30 mins. The word is they actually met up and fought.

I could care less about that, this issue is its channel 19 and in an area where it's right off I70 where you can hear the dead key knocking any communication out.

I'm told the fcc would clearly give th3 run around and the police may help, but am doubting that.

Any help would be appricatted as I feel this is a safety concerns as well as harassment and or disturbing ones peace.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Simply change channels, or stereo on and cb off. Cb is what it is, a wasteland. Its why many of us just listen to 146.520 mhz. on the road. 73, n9zas

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Key down

Get a couple of friends together and either go on a fox hunt or use triangulation to find the location. When you are sure of the location, your best choice is to let the FCC handle it if they will.

gewecke

Banned
Get a couple of friends together and either go on a fox hunt or use triangulation to find the location. When you are sure of the location, your best choice is to let the FCC handle it if they will.
Nice thought, but not likely. 73, n9zas

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
CB is a wasteland. Why would you even CARE what happens in that snowstorm full of idiots?

I do recall one very humorous story I heard about a similar situation. Some idiot was running a linear on 19, with so much power that "refrigerators nearby were talking in his voice" or so goes the story.

Someone took great exception to that and found the offender, and one evening while said miscreant was on the air and being stupid, as usual, the offended party attached a steel towing cable to the loudmouth's tower, with the other end attached to his rather decent sized pickup truck, then just drove away with not a little bit of attitude.

The story goes that the tower (a pole, actually) quickly left the premises and took the cable along with it...and at the end of the cable, the loudmouth's linear amplifier followed by his radio and microphone, snatched right out of his hand in mid transmission.

Needless to say, the road rash damage done to the expensive all-tube linear amplifier involved destruction of all tubes and enough secondary damage to render it junk. The radio fared no better.

End result: Obviously many jimmies were rustled that night. But the loudmouth either could not afford to replace his rig with something comparable or he figured out that he needed a different hobby. Pretty much a case of NO FURTHER PROBLEMS.

Is this story true? I don't know. But it's entertaining. I hope it's not giving you any ideas, though.

kf4eyr

get address of offender make a recording of on air activity, if you can get a LEO to witness and verify in writing then send all to fcc enforcement bureau,,,,, i know what you mean about locking channel 19 up,,, the damn DOT here in central florida sets up these warning radios adviseing about road work and detours that repeat every couple of minutes or so,, and sometimes they lock up and just stay keyed with a dead carrier,,,these setups are just supposed to be for a mile or so, but they will set them up on a bridge or up high on something and they cover about 5 miles around,,,,,

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well, there are 40 frequencies, AM, Upper and Lower that I hate on CB. I would never use CB for a legitimate business. However, as Solar Cycle 24 wraps up, there might be more use for businesses for the next 4 or 5 years. If Solar Cycle 25 is as low as some predict, then skip may not be as much problem. But again, with the more reliable VHF, UHF that is what businesses should be using. Channel 19 is only one of many problem channels rampant on CB.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Any help would be appricatted as I feel this is a safety concerns as well as harassment and or disturbing ones peace.

Nothing you can do. As others have said, welcome to the CB wasteland. As soon as you "fix" this issue, another will pop up.

FCC isn't going to do anything. Getting them to enforce licensed services like GMRS, amateur, broadcast, etc. is hard enough. They've all but given up on CB.

But, if you really want to try, you'll have to do all the hard work for them. That will mean positively identifying the street address of the transmitter. Recording proof of it being dead keyed on purpose. Write it all up and present it to the FCC.

And then wait.

And wait some more.

Keep waiting.

You are not even close.

Maybe in a year or two, when the FCC has nothing better to do, has a full budget and they are really bored, they'll look at it.
If they can identify the source, they'll send a letter of admonishment.

Then you wait some more.

Keep waiting.

Yep, you guessed it, keep waiting.

Maybe the FCC will administer a slightly harsher worded admonishment.

Repeat wait cycles. Again, maybe in a year or two they'd actually send out a NAL with a fine.

I'm sure by that time the guy with the offending CB will get bored, his radio will break, his antenna will fall down, his power supply will burn out, etc.

So, basically a lot of work and a lot of waiting.

The FCC doesn't troll around now in trucks looking for people to bust, they don't have the staff. They wait for complaints. Trust me, they have MUCH higher priority issues to deal with that CB. CB is down there with the Mickey Mouse FRS radios, maybe a bit higher, but not much. The FCC washed their hands of the CB wasteland a long time ago. You'd be hard pressed to find much in the way of records of actual enforcement on the CB band. Maybe one or two for guys running thousands of watts, but not guys dead keying.

And the "safety concern"? Come on, seriously, it's CB. You cannot claim a safety hazard on a license by rule system that the FCC gave up on years ago. Especially, when as stated above, there are 39 other channels to use.
"disturbing the peace"? CB and Peace are not two things I'd ever put together. If it's disturbing your peace, then it's time to turn your radio off. Seriously. Trying to claim this is a serious legal matter is taking this a bit to far. Not trying to jump on your case, but lets keep this in perspective here. Hobby radio, 4 watts, 39 other channels, no licenses, consumer grade radios, grown adults acting like children?
"Harassment"? Unless it is directed at you, you're not going to be able to prove this is harassment. It might be annoying, but it isn't harassment.

FCC doesn't care. This is low priority. Local PD/SO has got bigger issues to deal with.

If you are really into radio that much and nonsense like this gets your feathers ruffled, you need to step away from CB and work on getting a more suitable license. The nut-jobs that play these games on CB will eat you alive and crap you out. They are not scared of the FCC, they know the local PD isn't going to waste their time on this, and they know they can annoy other people by doing this. That's where they get off on this, knowing they've annoyed someone else. It isn't worth the fight.

And....
Are you 100% sure this is a deliberate dead key? Or is it just interference from some other source? Unless you can track this down to an actual CB radio with the key taped down, the FCC is probably going to ignore it. There are way too many other sources of interference on CB. Cheap radios alone will be a source of interference. Modern electronics can all cause issues, WiFi, routers, etc. etc. etc.
Rumors of CB'ers duking it out on the streets about who's the "channel king" may have been something in the 70's, but I'd find it hard to believe that it's something that really happened recently. Usually stupid stunts like that have been relegated to internet chat boards, radio forums, etc.

Last edited:

Hatchett

I am thinking there is a high probability that you are dealing with an ISM user.
ISM being “Industrial Scientific and Medical”

Remember the 27Mhz ISM band covers 26.957 to 27.285Mhz.

The 13 and 27Mhz ISM bands are commonly used for industrial induction heating applications.

If it's a continuous process heating application, then you can have a “dead key” carrier present for months or years on end. Many process heaters can go years between power cycles.

If that is the case in your situation, then your only hope is to talk to the machine owner and see if he is willing to shift the unit's frequency down several Kc's to a different channel that will bug you less.

And that is if he is even able to. Some machines are strictly “fixed frequency” and the owner can't change it if he wanted to.

prcguy

In my opinion this is the first step and the second would be to advertise the address of the offender on ch 19 as often as possible and maybe request a whole bunch of truckers in their big rigs go to the location and articulate their displeasure with the situation. The FCC or LEOs don't care and will not lift a finger, but regular folks and a lot of them can usually get a point across.
prcguy

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
What makes CB a wasteland is the very kind of idiots who MAKE it a wasteland. If you can find a way to shut them down then what's left would actually be useful for people who need a cheap way to communicate over a distance.

Until that's done, it's more trouble than it's worth.

How to do it: Our government wastes billions of dollars giving benefits to people who won't lift a finger to fill out a job application. You could starve them by hiding their welfare check under their work boots.

Divert a TINY percentage of those funds to an FCC field enforcement team that travels from city to city and is ALWAYS listening and gathering evidence and then making a raid when they have a solid case for the courtroom, and before long the loudest of the loudmouths would be out of business.

gewecke

Banned
Well Stlouisx50 hasn't replied? Maybe he found a solution. :). 73, n9zas

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
I would never use CB for a legitimate business. However, as Solar Cycle 24 wraps up, there might be more use for businesses for the next 4 or 5 years. If Solar Cycle 25 is as low as some predict, then skip may not be as much problem. But again, with the more reliable VHF, UHF that is what businesses should be using. Channel 19 is only one of many problem channels rampant on CB.

Well, perhaps you wouldn't.

But there are a million or more loggers, truckers, equipment operators, construction crews, scale house operators, and on and on, who use CB everyday.

Getting all of those users on a single VHF FM frequency is not possible. Hence, legitimate CB use in business.

I don't think taxi's or plumbers should be using it for dispatch, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

Delta

RFI-EMI-GUY

Since you have narrowed down the area, try removing the antenna from the radio and drive the area until the signal pops up again. Look for CB antennas on roofs etc. You might need a short piece of wire as an antenna until you get close. Since there was apparently an assault in the location, use care and be sure to report to the police and FCC. They may have some interest in that location already. It could be someone is "bugging" the location using the CB. Crude, but well maybe McGuyver did it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am thinking there is a high probability that you are dealing with an ISM user.
ISM being “Industrial Scientific and Medical”

Remember the 27Mhz ISM band covers 26.957 to 27.285Mhz.

The 13 and 27Mhz ISM bands are commonly used for industrial induction heating applications.

If it's a continuous process heating application, then you can have a “dead key” carrier present for months or years on end. Many process heaters can go years between power cycles.

If that is the case in your situation, then your only hope is to talk to the machine owner and see if he is willing to shift the unit's frequency down several Kc's to a different channel that will bug you less.

And that is if he is even able to. Some machines are strictly “fixed frequency” and the owner can't change it if he wanted to.

Unless it is some 1950's diathermy machine, the ISM equipment are locked onto specific assignments like 27.120 MHz. They won't blanket the entire band,

Last edited:

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Some people actually use it for work and business. There are still thousands, if not millions, of legitimate users on CB.

Heck, where I work, many households and businesses have CB and VHF-marine radios installed with base antennas/power supplies in place of the wall-mounted phone. Of course, everyone also has the ubiquitous cell phone in their pocket, but CB channel 17 and VHF-68 are the local party lines. I've responded to many calls for assistance that came in via CB or VHF, as opposed to 911. Even the local transit system takes reservations/ride requests on VHF-68.

gewecke

Banned
Well the first rule of Fight Club is,,,,,, well you know. Maybe he is in over his head!
I'm hoping the op realized that cb radio is Not worth the time nor aggravation to persue, and went on to better endeavors. :wink: 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.