• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What can I use this radio for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

I just bought some used radio equipment on eBay and one of the items is a Kenwood TK-8180 GMRS radio. I know little to nothing about these radios other than I would need a license to operate it. I am curious as to what they are used for generally speaking. This radio was part of a package deal and depending on what I can get out of it, I may either keep it or sell it. I would appreciate any information offered.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Kenwood TK-8180 is a fairly modern UHF mobile radio.
There are 4 different versions:
1. 30 watt output, 400-470MHz
2. 30 watt output, 450-520MHz
3. 45 watt output, 400-470MHz
4. 45 watt output, 450-520MHz

They will do analog FM as well as LTR trunking. There's a rarer version that will do analog and MPT trunking, however MPT trunking is not as common as the LTR models.

The radio will do a total of 512 channels in up to 128 separate zones.
You can set them up as a remote head radio, where the RF deck (guts) can be separated from the control head. This is useful for putting the radio guts in the trunk, behind the seat, under the seat, etc. and mount just the control head on the dashboard. You'd need the KRK-10 remote kit to do that.
They'll do FleetSync and MDC-1200 signaling, along with the normal CTCSS/DCS squelch.

Pretty solid little radio. When you get your GMRS license, you can program it with the GMRS frequencies, mount it in your car or with a power supply at home, add a good external antenna and be all set.
List price for a brand new one is between $600 and $735, depending on the power output.
On e-Bay, they'll go from $50 to $200 or so.

If you do plan on getting your GMRS license, I'd hang on to it. Having a mobile and/or base radio can be mighty handy. If you don't need it or are not going to get your GMRS license, sell it, depending on the model, amateur radio operators or other licensed GMRS users will probably happily buy it from you.

Programming is not super easy, especially if you have not programmed radios before. It might be a good idea to get help or pay someone to do it for you.
Programming software is Kenwood KPG-89DNK
USB programming cable is Kenwood KPG-46XM

graywoulf

WOW! mmckenna, you have told me more about GMRS than I have found anywhere so far. I got a steal of a deal on the TK-8180 with a Motorola Desk Mic TMN1005D and a Kenwood KPS-15 power supply with a desktop metal case/bracket that holds the power supply and the radio for $55 as a bundle deal if you can believe that. I just bought it yesterday so I have no clue as to which particular model it is yet.

I am seeing that the license is around $70 to obtain. I am presently taking a class to get my amateur radio Technician's class license. I wish it covered GMRS as well.

My class instructor is selling me his Kenwood TM-281A and a rooftop antenna so I was mainly after the power supply to begin with. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with all of that information. You've got me excited about my purchase.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Since you are getting your ham license, if the TK-8180 model you bought covers 420-450 MHz, it would make a good radio for the 70cm ham band.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
WOW! mmckenna, you have told me more about GMRS than I have found anywhere so far. I got a steal of a deal on the TK-8180 with a Motorola Desk Mic TMN1005D and a Kenwood KPS-15 power supply with a desktop metal case/bracket that holds the power supply and the radio for $55 as a bundle deal if you can believe that. I just bought it yesterday so I have no clue as to which particular model it is yet.

I am seeing that the license is around $70 to obtain. I am presently taking a class to get my amateur radio Technician's class license. I wish it covered GMRS as well.

My class instructor is selling me his Kenwood TM-281A and a rooftop antenna so I was mainly after the power supply to begin with. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with all of that information. You've got me excited about my purchase.
Even if it fits, don't plug in the Motorola mic, these things aren't universal and you might damage the mic, radio, or both. Only if you know for certain it's been rewired to work. Also will help make sure you don't transmit accidentally, which it could if you plug in a miswired mic. And transmitting without a properly tuned antenna will damage the radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

That's a pretty good deal. Glad I could assist.
Yeah, as others have said, do NOT plug that microphone into the Kenwood radio. While it's common for manufacturers to use the RJ-45 mic jack, the way the assign the wires to the individual pins is entirely different. Put the Motorola desk mic on a shelf, and get either a Kenwood KMC-9 desk mic, or a KMC-35 mobile microphone.

The GMRS license will cover your whole family, so it can be a really good option for you.
The amateur license will only cover you, however it really opens up a lot more frequencies, repeater access, etc. Good on you for going for your ham ticket.

So, you can connect both radios to that power supply and it'll work just fine. What it won't support is transmitting on both at the same time.

Sounds like you've got yourself a great start on equipment. Enjoy the hobby!

graywoulf

Thank you guys for the support and information. As far as the mic goes, it is apparently already wired and paired with the 8180 as it is already connected in the picture. I don't think that there is a hand mic with the radio. I am glad to hear that the power supply will support both radios. I certainly would not talk on both simultaneously for sure. I have been told that there is not much activity on the 70cm band in my area but I guess I will now be able to find out for myself.

And as for the deal I got, I don't think that the seller had a clue what she was selling. She sent me a message stating that it was part of an office cleanup that she and her partner were involved in. I sure hope everything works when I get it.

I have seen the programming cable on ebay and will look into that later on. I have downloaded the manual and ave been watching some YT videos on programming it manually. Does any of you know if that that Motorola mic would work on the 281A? Lots to learn from here and I appreciate you all providing me with information.

graywoulf

If you got everything in that picture for $55.00, you stole it. WTG
I'm still not believing it myself. I'm sure that if it had been listed by the model number I would have never seen it. I was just doing a general search for Kenwood products on ebay. I'm going to a ham fest in Charlotte tomorrow. My first one in a very long while. I don't plan on looking for anything in particular but going for the fun and learning experience. I may even take my Technician's exam early just to see what happens.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As far as the mic goes, it is apparently already wired and paired with the 8180 as it is already connected in the picture.

It's not "wired" to the radio. It has an RJ-45 plug on the end of the mic cord, and by coincidence, the TK-8180 uses RJ-45's for their mic connection. The arrangement of the 8 pins -is- different, and the signals on each of those 8 pins are different.
The only thing that is going on is the lady who sold you the radio and told you she had no clue what she was selling managed to plug the two together.

Do NOT use that mic with the radio. Please.

And as for the deal I got, I don't think that the seller had a clue what she was selling. She sent me a message stating that it was part of an office cleanup that she and her partner were involved in. I sure hope everything works when I get it.

Yeah, that's how you score the good stuff.

Does any of you know if that that Motorola mic would work on the 281A? Lots to learn from here and I appreciate you all providing me with information.

Again, no, it will not work with the TM-281 or the TK-8180. It's a Motorola mic and the pins will be assigned differently.

graywoulf

Thanks for the advice. I meant to say that the mic was apparently wired for the radio and I do realize what connector it is using. I have asked the seller if there was a hand mic with it but I have not received a reply on that yet. She did tell me that all of this was in use until a few days before she listed it.

I will look for a KMC-35 mic at the hamfest tomorrow. I might look for an antenna as well. Thanks again for the advice.

6079smithw

I agree. Unless you can determine beyond any doubt it's been rewired, don't use it. The OEM mics go for around $20 on eBay and you're still money ahead. Hey, you could even land a Moto mobile to go with the mic tomorrow, ya just never know! Keep us posted!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the advice. I meant to say that the mic was apparently wired for the radio

I'd not assume it's been rewired/rejiggered to work with the Kenwood. Some of the voltages used between the microphone and the radio will be different, and unless someone spent a silly amount of time developing a circuit to convert them, it's really not a good idea to try and use it.

KMC-35's are cheap, just make sure you are getting a real Kenwood one. There are a lot of cheap Chinese knockoffs out there.
Other option is the KMC-36, which is basically the same microphone with the DTMF keys. You'll probably never need DTMF, but it won't hurt.

graywoulf

Thanks again for the advice. I have seen the cheap Chinese versions on ebay. I will be careful. This is going to be fun. I'll let you know what I find this evening when I return.

graywoulf

I agree. Unless you can determine beyond any doubt it's been rewired, don't use it. The OEM mics go for around $20 on eBay and you're still money ahead. Hey, you could even land a Moto mobile to go with the mic tomorrow, ya just never know! Keep us posted!
No telling what I will find today. I will let you know how it goes tonight.

graywoulf

Well, what an experience. I have never seen so much "stuff" in one place. Out of all the four hours spent there walking and walking looking at lots of things I could not even identify, I never saw any Kenwood microphones anywhere in that huge building. And I only saw two 8180s in the whole place as well. The vendor wanted $100 each for them with no mic and no power cord.

All I bought while I was there was fifty feet of LMR 400 coax with connectors from "The Wireman".

I did get to meet and hang out with the local amateur radio club president and a few club members and that was a good experience. And I did learn a few things along the way too. So now I am waiting for the arrival of my 8180 and power supply hopefully next Thursday. And my tech license in less than a month. So, there is the summary of my trip. Another hamfest next month.

graywoulf

Great you were able to "hang out" with Ham club members, and learn a lot that is NOT on the "HAM Test".
Yeah, I learned a lot about my hard core instructor. The man lives, breathes and sleeps ham radio. He is however an excellent instructor. But it was nice to know that the rest of the club members are just regular people with a normal passion for the hobby or lifestyle as my instructor calls it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.