What Devices Currently Have More Than One Digital Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As posted above, I am wondering what devices currently have more than one digital mode? I recall that Kenwood has a commercial system in which it is possible to have more than one. Is that still the only way to do it? I keep thinking it would be quite handy to have a dual band HT that would do BOTH DMR and either APCO P25, NXDN, YSF or Icom Death Star as a second digital mode.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Kenwood NX-5000 line of radios will do analog and two of the following: P25 (phase 1 and 2), DMR and NXDN.
They are single band portables.
For the mobiles, you can stack RF decks with one or two control heads.

The Kenwood NX-3000 line will do analog and DMR -OR- NXDN. It will only run one digital mode, and you choose it when programming.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As a follow up to this, are there any dual band portables that will do more than one digital mode? So far, it looks like there dual band portables that will do a single digital mode or single band portables that will do two digital modes, BUT no dual band portables that will do two, or more, digital modes.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As a follow up to this, are there any dual band portables that will do more than one digital mode? So far, it looks like there dual band portables that will do a single digital mode or single band portables that will do two digital modes, BUT no dual band portables that will do two, or more, digital modes.

Barring some sort of military stuff, yes, that's correct.
I expect we will see that change in the next few years, though. Either Chinese manufactures will release some low buck radio that does dual band/multi mode, or we'll see one of the big manufacturers (Motorola, Harris, Kenwood, etc) crank out something. Maybe both…. I know there was some startup that keeps claiming they are going to release a multi-band/multi-mode radio, but they seem to keep dragging it out.

If you want to split hairs, there are LMR radios that will do multi-band, analog, P25 as well as LTE and WiFi, but that's probably not what you are looking for.

wrath

Barring some sort of military stuff, yes, that's correct.
I expect we will see that change in the next few years, though. Either Chinese manufactures will release some low buck radio that does dual band/multi mode, or we'll see one of the big manufacturers (Motorola, Harris, Kenwood, etc) crank out something. Maybe both…. I know there was some startup that keeps claiming they are going to release a multi-band/multi-mode radio, but they seem to keep dragging it out.

If you want to split hairs, there are LMR radios that will do multi-band, analog, P25 as well as LTE and WiFi, but that's probably not what you are looking for.
There was just an announcement 3 days ago ,the much talked about DV4 multi mode radio is going to be non existent , this company had a long history of broken promises and bad products that they blamed on the customers.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.