What do I need for APRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Title says it all. I am thinking about getting into APRS: however, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. Basically, what is the cheapest way to get into APRS? I've got a laptop computer and several VHF handhelds to use if needed.
Thanks in advance for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prcguy

I got one of these a few years ago and it works very well and is all self contained including batteries. Its only 1watt but into a vehicle mounted antenna it tracks my truck all over the place. If I'm going to areas known for poor coverage I'll take a 40w amp along and it never fails to connect with APRS base stations. It can also be a digipeater. It will be hard to build or buy something else that does all this for $109. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AP510-APRS...m=181447762355&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
prcguy

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
iphone with the app will get you on the map
The smartphone apps use the Internet to inject your position reports into the APRS-IS system. The intent of APRS is local, tactical information using amateur radio. While a smartphone app may "get you on the map", other APRS users will only see your position if they are using the Internet.

z31jaime

The smartphone apps use the Internet to inject your position reports into the APRS-IS system. The intent of APRS is local, tactical information using amateur radio. While a smartphone app may "get you on the map", other APRS users will only see your position if they are using the Internet.
Yes, he was asking bare minimum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Your SDR would need to be able to encode and decode the Bell 212A (aka ITU V.22) modulation scheme. Then, it would need to assemble/disassemble AX.25 data packets.

keithalmli

Premium Subscriber
Title says it all. I am thinking about getting into APRS: however, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. Basically, what is the cheapest way to get into APRS? I've got a laptop computer and several VHF handhelds to use if needed.
Thanks in advance for the tips!

If your by chance looking into helping pass traffic to an internet gateway you can get that going for as little as a Raspberry PI, USB sound card and a Scanner or radio with a mic in jack. ($100 or less option)

If your looking to transmit you driving down the highway, or walking you would need to interface a Tinytrak (byonics), or some other type of TNC to decode/encode.

KD9KSO

Probably a lot less hassle to just buy a new APRS capable rig. Sell off a couple of your HT's to help fund a new radio.

prerunner1982

Mobilinkd | Highly mobile packet radio is another option. Connects to your radio and bluetooths to an Android phone/tablet. It gets the GPS from the phone/tablet and displays the received stations there as well using the APRSdroid app.

I have run one for years, started out on an HT but now have it on a mobile radio.

Not the best setup if you are wanting a home station to digi or igate packets. Good for mobile or portable though.

Last edited:

TRNcommLLC

Feed Provider
I run a old Dell D800 laptop using APRSIS32 with the soundcard running soundmodem97 and a TK-7302 mobile on a Workman UVS-300 antenna.
Works pretty well for a Digi/Gateway station.

I had everything laying around.
4n35 iso and 2 isolation transformers into rs232.
I looked at TNCs but wanted to try it first.
Maybe I will buy one for the mobile.
I like the Byonics TinyTrak4

John
KA3OAZ

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
If your by chance looking into helping pass traffic to an internet gateway you can get that going for as little as a Raspberry PI, USB sound card and a Scanner or radio with a mic in jack. ($100 or less option)

If your looking to transmit you driving down the highway, or walking you would need to interface a Tinytrak (byonics), or some other type of TNC to decode/encode.

PLEASE, PLEASE don't encourage people to build RX only Igates as permanent stations. When they are setup that way they break the message capablities as there is no return path to RF if its an RX only Igate. Please see: APRS Messaging EXPLAINED! - APRSISCE/32 The future of Amateur Radio APRS

Status
Not open for further replies.