What Do You Want In The Next Uniden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brndnstffrd

The biggest thing that i want is the ability to decode MDC1200.
Next on my list are the ability to recieve NXDN and MOTOTRBO.

And as far as form factors go, i would like a mobile to have a remote head, and also like was mentioned before, for it actually look like a radio, not some stereo headunit.
And on a handheld, i would like it to be rugged, more along the lines of a regular 2 way radio. I dont like these chintzy delicate ones that we have now.

Boatanchor

* TDMA (DMR/TRBO), which will require AMBE 2+
* Decent affordable (<$150) remote control option for the mobile/base.
* Better/Faster CTCSS decoder (eliminate the squelch burst on repeaters with 'quiet tails', or better yet, a ~100-150mS audio delay to eliminate squelch bursts on all FM signals regardless of whether they have PL/CTCSS tones or not. Kyodo did this on their radios 20 years ago!
* More talkgroups per system and ability to share talkgroups over multiple systems.

Paul-W

In order...
- NXDN
- MOTOTRBO
- P25 Phase II TDMA and P25 X2-TDMA
- New scanners like in design to the 996XT and 15X. I like buttons. I would have a hard time buying something similar in design to the HP-1.
- MPT-1327

This is critical for the next generation of scanners. Where I live, more and more Kenwood Nextedge systems have come online this year. The largest area private ambulance company just switched over to a Nextedge system. Uniden really needs to incorporate all of the above protocols big time if they don't want the scanner radio business to die off.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I would like to see a GPS receiver either built in or as an option. I like GPS and connecting a G-TRANS cable to my Garmin Nuvi 350 isn't a big deal, but it would be neater if it was simply built in. If I recall correctly, just the GPS receiver itself is actually pretty reasonable priced.

Since some of us are having to use amplified speakers with the Home Patrol HP-1, maybe having 12 volts out from the radio would allow for a simple connection of speaker out and power out without having to run another 12 volt line to power the amplified speaker.

I have sometimes thought that a system similar to the Motorola XTS5000 and XTVA might be handy for Uniden. That way you could have a portable similar to the Uniden Bearcat BCCD396XT, but then insert it into an XTVA device that would connect it to an external speaker, external antenna, and charge the batteries.

CM1

Premium Subscriber
Phase II TDMA
and
The ability on all systems (EDACS and /\/\) to have the option to track/scan ALL talkgroups.
I want to be able to hear the garbled encrypted or EDACS provoice noise - especially as third party options now exist to handle some of that stuff.
and
a price tag that my wife will say "sure go buy it today" "in fact get two of them" LOL!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
This is very true guys. Other than P25 Phase II (CRITICAL UNIDEN!!!), we do need a little better fix of the issue with P25 Simulcast. Yes, the last firmware update helped a ton! But it could still use a bit of a push.

I also said NXDN, and for the railfans, of which countless are Uniden users, that's gonna be needed. But P25 Phase II is a current reality. And MotoTRBO is not as abundant as P25 Phase II is already guaranteed to be thanks to countless funding requirements from the federal grants for the new 700MHz system. It's a requirement that anyone who is building a 700MHz system with a federal grant MUST use P25 Phase II.

Dewey

Since this appears to be a thread where we can dream, in addition to the different formats, TDMA, MOTOTRBO, NXDN, etc, I would also love to see the HomePatrol in a portable form factor, but includes an optional "Convert-A-Com" for true mobile use. Fanon Courier's "Scanfare" 4-channel crystal scanner from the '70s had one that would do all of the external connections (RF, audio, power/charge) in a single molded plug that plugged into the side of the scanner.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Since this appears to be a thread where we can dream, in addition to the different formats, TDMA, MOTOTRBO, NXDN, etc, I would also love to see the HomePatrol in a portable form factor, but includes an optional "Convert-A-Com" for true mobile use. Fanon Courier's "Scanfare" 4-channel crystal scanner from the '70s had one that would do all of the external connections (RF, audio, power/charge) in a single molded plug that plugged into the side of the scanner.

I agree with Dewey...I would like to see a scanner that can handle decoding Mototrbo, NXDN and whatever else voice there is for government use. Even though I have a NXDN & Mototrbo capable radios that handle both digital modes but I would like to see a scanner handle this.

scannerman5555

Silent Key
I would like to see a LTR auto { LCN} decoded set for the freq's plus LTR pastport too ..... plus motoboro trunking decoded plus in reg mode too !
also a most code decoded and more ch's like the BC 346 XT Scanner that's a good scanner needs some updates could do better !

cjrjr507

I can think of one thing I would like to see on a scanner. An red local emergency button that would lock out all the systems except the local emergency systems and when you hit the button again it would lockout the local emergency systems and reinstate the normal systems. That would be cool.

Highpockets

Wow, we're all nuts, pick out 2-3 maybe four requests that are needed to listen to the new digital modes, make it an upgraded 396XT/996XT and get it on the market. If Uniden was to add a majority of the requests in this thread, some of us older guys won't be around to see it. :D

JASII

Memory Capacity
Digital TV OTA audio. Is that possible???

I am not sure how much you know about ATSC, but one of the biggest issues is it will not decode properly if you are in motion more than a few miles per hour. I have actually tried and have confirmed that. Now ATSC-M/H would work, but it is slow in coming out of almost ANY device so far! You might have better luck trying for HD radio in addition to regular FM Broadcast band.

What is Dyle? » Dyle.tv

http://www.hdradio.com/

Last edited:

wtp

Usb

how about usb info/charge i would like to charge at the computer also these thingl are everywhere
birdie total lockout from radio

lschmidt

Remember the digital converter boxes that came out when broadcast tv went to digital? How about
something like that for analog scanners such as the 780?.

JASII

Memory Capacity
ATSC Converter Box

Remember the digital converter boxes that came out when broadcast TV went to digital? How about something like that for analog scanners such as the 780?.

I actually had one of those in my work vehicle for a few months. I used an inverter to get from 12 volts to 120 volts. I tried a couple of different antennas. Ironically, one of the best antennas for it was an old multi-band Radio Shack scanner antenna. Of course, I used an antenna adapter to get to the F connector. The RCA jacks for composite went to an adapter cable to the iPod input of the stereo AM-FM receiver in the car. I used Velcro to mount the actual converter and I had to keep the remote control in the car console so it wouldn't get lost of damaged. I know some people mentioned that it was difficult to determine what channel was tuned because there was no display, but that really wasn't an issue. If I wasn't sure what was selected, I would just tune a different channel and then tune a second time to where I wanted to be. That reduced/eliminated the possibility of going to a sub-channel inadvertently. It actually worked okay if I was parked and was having a meal break in my work vehicle. Sometimes I had to re-position the vehicle to lock onto the ATSC signal.

I used to tune in the IFBs quite a bit back in the day to hear TV audio for news. Usually a 161.xxx or 1 450.xxxx. That works fine when the IFB is transmitting. Usually it is only during a local news broadcast.

Way back in the NTSC days I could select the wdfe band FM portion of the analog signal on a Radio Shack PRO-2006, etc. Obviously, since NTSC is gone and ATSC is here, that is no longer an option.

I have since gone to a Sling Adapter with my DISH Network 722k satellite receiver. I also have a SlingBox PRO-HD. I can disconnect the video composite cables and just get audio through my Android phone.

It will be interesting to see how the Dyle TV network develops. There is enough interest in ATSC-M/H that some people will tune in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.