What Dual Band DMR Portable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I wanted to get a dual band DMR portable some time ago, but when I was ready to buy, they didn't exist. Now it looks like Alinco has one and Anytone has a couple to choose from and TYT. Can anybody here recommend one over the others and, if so, why?

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
If you are new to building a codeplug, you might want to consider a dual bander supported by the N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page software so as to be able import codeplugs of other supported radios. For example, if you purchased an MD-UV380 and had access to a MD-380 codeplug, the N0GSG software will convert the file structure without any fuss.

I can't *compare* the dual band DMR radios you ask about; I only have (and like) the MD-UV380 (notes dating back to July here: Amateur Radio). Some friends have (and like) the AT-D868UV.

HTH a bit.

djs13pa

Strongly suggest looking at the Connect Systems radios. The new AT878 might do what you want. It’s also has a number of updates while, seemingly, keeping the better aspects of the 868 models.

The reason to go with CS is simply customer service. They back their products and they are generally very transparent when they get a bad batch of radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w2xq

Mentor
As does https://www.buytwowayradios.com in NC that had *all* accessories *and* and their in-house-made CD with the radio-specific CPS software and drivers. I ordered the MD-UV380 at 4:45 pm on a Friday and it was delivered at 1 pm Monday; standard delivery, no rush delivery asked or paid for..

Some sellers of DMR radios--judging from questions I have received through my website--don't supply the software and drivers (requiring a beginner to figure out what what to grab from the manufacturer's or importer's website). Ibid for accessories. There are YouTube videos as well but, in my opinion, some explanations assume prior knowledge. Buying a CCR DMR radio isn't quite as easy as buying equipment from the largest amateur radio retailers advertising in QST.

Pays your dinero and takes your choices. Honestly, I probably spent 30 or 40 hours over a few weeks reading material found on the internet... and asked follow up questions of local friends who had been on DMR for at least ~5 years. At least for me, doing the homework first helped.

HTH a little.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The btech 6X2 is a very good radio, and although not cheap, is much better than my low price dual banders.

AK_SAR

I second the suggestion to get an Anytone 878 from Connect Systems. I've been using the 868 for awhile, and have been very happy with it. From what I understand the 878 is even better. Connect Systems has been great to deal with.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The btech 6X2 is a very good radio, and although not cheap, is much better than my low price dual banders.

The btech 6X2 is an Anytone radio rebranded. I hope you didn't pay to much more for it.

I like the Anytone 868 purchased from connect systems, it's good radio. Its solidly built, has great receive audio even on analog unlike the CS750 monobander. Those are junk. The 868 is tough, I dropped it by accident on concrete pretty hard and it did not break.

I would buy again.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
btech 6x2

The btech 6x2 came out months before the Anytone version of the radio. Both of these are built by Qixiang Electron Science Technology Co. Ltd. I bought mine at a lower price with the regular and high capacity battery than the Anytone currently sells for, and while it isn't the quality of my Hytera, it is a good dual band choice.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I'm setting my sights on the Alinco DJ-MD5TGP. The latest and greatest for about $149 from GigaParts. Of course, it's internally Anytone.

http://www.alinco.com/Products/dmr/DJ-MD5/DJ-MD5.pdf

Here is a review of the new Alinco DJ-MD5TGP. There are a number of amateur radio features in this model that are not present in many other DMR radios.
HVDN Notebook: Review: Alinco DJ-MD5T Series DMR Radio

In case you want to see what is inside, here is a teardown:
HVDN Notebook: Teardown: Expanded Alinco DJ-MD5TGP Review

Manuals and CPS (click on "Downloads"):
https://remtronix.com/digital-radio/dmr-radios/dj-md5tgp/

Hans13

Here is a review of the new Alinco DJ-MD5TGP. There are a number of amateur radio features in this model that are not present in many other DMR radios.
HVDN Notebook: Review: Alinco DJ-MD5T Series DMR Radio

In case you want to see what is inside, here is a teardown:
HVDN Notebook: Teardown: Expanded Alinco DJ-MD5TGP Review

Manuals and CPS (click on "Downloads"):
https://remtronix.com/digital-radio/dmr-radios/dj-md5tgp/

Thanks for posting those links. I think that I've seen you post them, or perhaps it was someone else, in another thread or elsewhere and they cleared up any reservations I had about that radio. I was about 80~90% sold before the links and 99% after them. :) As far as I can tell, the radio also shares batteries and other accessories (not the programming cable though) with our DJ-500TB radios... which is a plus for us. I wish that Alinco/Anytone would start considering much higher capacity batteries or redesign so that longer batteries are more easily made for these handhelds.

N4KVE

So people are spreading an internet rumor that the Alinco DMR radio is a rebadged Anytone. I hope these photo's will put this rumor to rest.

Hans13

So people are spreading an internet rumor that the Alinco DMR radio is a rebadged Anytone. I hope these photo's will put this rumor to rest.

There are several radios sold by Alinco that are, indeed, Anytone. This is not a rumor. It has been this way for a few years now. I can give links for proof if you need them. We use Anytone and Alinco radios here. THIS model may or may not be Anytone inside but I'm keeping my eyes open for an Anytone version to appear before too long.

For example, https://pa2old.nl/alinco-anytone/

Also, take for example the Alinco DJ-500 (second generation). It is through and through an Anytone AT3318UV-A from the manual to the internals. The speaker mike is an Icom type on the Alinco and there is a slight firmware difference.

Although one can find Anytone analogs to much of Alinco's line these days, I'm not claiming that all Alinco radios are Anytone. I daily use an Alinco DR-735 that I haven't been able to find an Anytone analog for.

There might not be an Anytone counterpart to the newest Alinco DMR radio but it's very early in the process. I would not be surprised to see an Anytone version crop up soon. So, instead of posting, " Of course, it's internally Anytone." I should have posted "Of course, there is a good chance that it's internally Anytone."

N4KVE

N

There might not be an Anytone counterpart to the newest Alinco DMR radio but it's very early in the process. I would not be surprised to see an Anytone version crop up soon.
Now that makes total sense. The Chinese have been known to buy an existing product, and copy it 100%. That way they spend $0 in R,&D. So since the ALINCO already exists, & an identical Anytone does not, should one come to market in the future, it would be a knock off of the ALINCO which existed first. But comparing the circuitry of the newest ALINCO, & Anytone DMR radios, there is absolutely nothing similar between them.

w2xq

Mentor
And TYT makes white-label radios that other firms can badge and sell. Who knows who is making what for resale to importers? For the few $ these CCR radios cost does it matter? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.