• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What Equipment Should I Get To Access The Linked GMRS Repeater Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I was told recently that there is now a series of linked GMRS repeaters that can be accessed via equipment that is connected by cellular mobile telephone networks. I am interested in finding out more about this. Is it all using Zello? Or, are there other ways of accessing this?

Also, what is some of the devices that I should look at getting? I would love to have a portable transceiver that will do the following:

-Legally access GMRS frequencies for local repeaters and/or simplex,

-Be able to access another friend or family member, through said device, even while out of the range of a local GMRS repeater through an AT&T or other cellular connection with Push To Talk Over Cellular.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I just applied for my GMRS license on-line. I guess I will have to see how long it takes to get it these days. Some posts from a while back seemed to indicate it was pretty quick after the on-line payment, BUT this is a Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday. I guess time will tell if that continues on holidays, nights and weekends!

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
There is another GMRS network that is Zello based: NWI GMRS
There is actual hardware that emulates a base or mobile radio that is Zello based.
See: Phone Radio Archives - Walkie Talkie Two Way Radio PTT Phone
Of course, one can also use any Android smartphone or iPhone to run Zello.

This a handy way to access GMRS if you don't have a repeater in your area, but does depend on having a 3G or 4G cellular connection, and is useless if the cell network goes down... ;)

JASII

Memory Capacity
Which, if any, of the currently available radios, will allow me to access a Zello based GMRS network AND transmit directly, and legally, on either VHF or UHF? For ATVing, and other activities, it would be great to have a network to access, but also have VHF, maybe MURS, and/or UHF (FRS/GMRS) for direct simple use.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Which, if any, of the currently available radios, will allow me to access a Zello based GMRS network AND transmit directly, and legally, on either VHF or UHF? For ATVing, and other activities, it would be great to have a network to access, but also have VHF, maybe MURS, and/or UHF (FRS/GMRS) for direct simple use.
See the link I posted above. There are several that will do all of what you ask, but they ain't cheap!
The Runbo M1 IP67 Waterproof DMR Phone Walkie Talkie Digital Two Way Radio for example retails at $556...
The Boxchip S700A 4G LTE Smart Android Phone DMR Tier II VHF UHF Radio lists for $549!

However, neither of them are VHF and UHF. You can have one or the other, but not both.

If I were in the market for such a radio, I'd probably pick this one:
Talinfone W5 IP67 UHF Walkie Talkie 3G Android 6.0 GSM WCDMA Zello Phone $189 (but it is UHF analog only.

brndnstffrd

One thing to add, before buying one, research that it will indeed work on your network. Not saying these linked to are not, however there are some of these phone/radios for sale elsewhere that are not compatible with domestic US cell networks.

Hans13

If I were in the market for such a radio, I'd probably pick this one:
Talinfone W5 IP67 UHF Walkie Talkie 3G Android 6.0 GSM WCDMA Zello Phone $189 (but it is UHF analog only.

I was completely unaware of that radio-phone. Nice! Thanks. :)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately no it does not. Note the drop box where you have to choose which band you want:
CR7Ds.png

Fortunately, in the US at least most DMR repeaters are UHF.

Hans13

Of all the timing... My main cellphone is dying.

I can't seem to find what the output wattage is on that UHF radio in the Talinfone W5, or I'm simply missing it. Does anyone know what the output is?

Hans13

According to eBay sellers, the S700A is 0.5/2 watts. I've emailed BoxChip. I'm seriously considering that phone.

JASII

Memory Capacity
There is another GMRS network that is Zello based: NWI GMRS
There is actual hardware that emulates a base or mobile radio that is Zello based.
See: Phone Radio Archives - Walkie Talkie Two Way Radio PTT Phone
Of course, one can also use any Android smartphone or iPhone to run Zello.

This a handy way to access GMRS if you don't have a repeater in your area, but does depend on having a 3G or 4G cellular connection, and is useless if the cell network goes down... ;)

Is the Uniden UV350 compatible with that?

Uniden® UV350 | Siyata Mobile | World’s first 4G/LTE vehicle-cellular-device

Hans13

JASII, I'm not sure that you understand how Zello works. The Uniden device spec sheet says that it runs Android 7.1. Anything running recent android versions should be able to run Zello. Zello is simply a program. There is an Android version and a windows version of the same software. Other GMRS links can be made through what amounts to a modified Allstar, just like amateur radio. Even your typical Android cellphone and tablet should be able to access these networks through the appropriate programs/apps.

(If I got some of this wrong, I apologize as I only had a moment to write this reply.)

Hans13

None of these radios, as far as I am aware will legally do MURS, FRS, or GMRS. MURS requires Part 95J certification. FRS requires Part 95B certification. GMRS requires Part 95E. I don't think many of these radios even have Part 97, which is required for importation to sell to any US market, including amateur radio.

wd9ewk

I don't think many of these radios even have Part 97, which is required for importation to sell to any US market, including amateur radio.

Actually, if a radio only covers the US amateur bands, it does not require any FCC certification. This is the case with the Icom IC-9700 that is about to come on the market... it covers only the 2m, 70cm, and 23cm amateur bands, with no non-amateur coverage. Icom did not put the radio through the FCC certification process. There are technical requirements in subpart D (Technical Standards) of FCC Part 97 that our equipment is required to meet, but complying with these requirements does not require FCC certification. Only external RF amplifiers that operate below 144 MHz require certification under FCC Part 97 (see 97.315), with some exceptions.

Many radios sold for the amateur market carry FCC certification, but for the extended receive coverage outside the amateur bands. If you search the FCC Equipment Authorization database for those radios, you will see certification under FCC Part 15, not Part 97. There may be notes in the certification grants that explain the radio is an amateur transceiver, but the transmitters are not covered by the certification grant.

Hans13

Sorry, I mis-typed. I meant Part 15. However, that ought to have been obvious by my mentioning about importation for sale on the US market.
"which is required for importation to sell to any US market, including amateur radio."

But, it gave you an opportunity to pontificate, which so many hams love to do; so it's all good. Perhaps the information will be of use to those viewing down the road of time. :cool:

Actually, if a radio only covers the US amateur bands, it does not require any FCC certification. This is the case with the Icom IC-9700 that is about to come on the market... it covers only the 2m, 70cm, and 23cm amateur bands, with no non-amateur coverage. Icom did not put the radio through the FCC certification process. There are technical requirements in subpart D (Technical Standards) of FCC Part 97 that our equipment is required to meet, but complying with these requirements does not require FCC certification. Only external RF amplifiers that operate below 144 MHz require certification under FCC Part 97 (see 97.315), with some exceptions.

Many radios sold for the amateur market carry FCC certification, but for the extended receive coverage outside the amateur bands. If you search the FCC Equipment Authorization database for those radios, you will see certification under FCC Part 15, not Part 97. There may be notes in the certification grants that explain the radio is an amateur transceiver, but the transmitters are not covered by the certification grant.

Status
Not open for further replies.