what handheld support aviation listen as well as ham 2way

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusonwheels

Premium Subscriber
im looking for a handheld to pickup and listen to aviation freq. for my uas business .
but i would also like to be able in the same unit have a unit thats good for amateur radio communications.
most power better as i live in a remote location .

i have a uv-82 v2+ that works great except it will not allow me to listen to aviation.

any ideas .

looking to purchase on amazon .
anything come to mind ?

Kb2Jpd

Hello from Adam Kb2Jpd

Most VHF ham radio transceivers have AM aviation band from 108-136 Mhz. Shop around for that feature. So do some dual band 2M 440 as well as triband ers.

Make sure the Antenna you use is wideband enough for aviation band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kb2Jpd

Depends on what you want. Some radios have digital modes as well as AM/WideFM/Narrow FM.

Shop around until you have several models you think you would like, see if anybody owns them to get a one-to-one eyeball of the radio you are interested in.

Some shops let you handle their radios or have open boxes that were returned because of customer dissatisfaction. You win because you get a discount. Haggling is part of the skill of buying.

Make sure you get the kind of AM reception you desire. Some models have baffling and or design in audio to make the radio sound better on FM.

Sometimes a brand new radio doesn't work out. That's okay. Customers satisfaction is the important thing.

Adam Kb2Jpd

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the Yaesu FT-60. You will have some money left over to accessorize you radio.

Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Handheld

For $300, there are a number of radios. The Yaesu FT-60R covers many frequencies, including the ones you want, and sells for around $160. The FT-60 Commander software is free and works well, and you can also use Chirp. It is my favorite for traveling due to the solid build and wide coverage.

jondainty

Premium Subscriber
im looking for a handheld to pickup and listen to aviation freq. for my uas business .
but i would also like to be able in the same unit have a unit thats good for amateur radio communications.
most power better as i live in a remote location .

i have a uv-82 v2+ that works great except it will not allow me to listen to aviation.

any ideas .

looking to purchase on amazon .
anything come to mind ?

There's nothing fancy about it, but the Yaesu FT-60 works very well on VHF/UHF and also is a good monitor radio for aviation. I programmed Bank 3 of the 1,000 memories with nothing but aviation frequencies, and it will happily sit there all day on whatever bank or frequency you choose. It's easily programmable by RT Systems software.

Kb2Jpd

I wish more of these radios use wifi or Bluetooth so you can program them using a smartphone App instead.

A lot of us are getting older.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
not taking cost into factor .

kenwood TH-D72a or yaesu radio .

which and why ?

I would suggest the Kenwood TH-F6, if cost is a factor. It has more RX coverage than the D72, and costs a lot less.

Is there a reason you would not get a cheap scanner, to listen to the civil aviation freqs? The audio is likely to be better, and a lot less money.

Sent via Tapatalk

gurusonwheels

Premium Subscriber
AS I stated taking cost out of the equation .

As I'm plaining on getting my technician licence also .

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.