What is "CFRO"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanester

I heard this by RCMP... "He has a warrant for assaulting his wife, but his CFRO is 10-10". Does anyone know what a "CFRO" is?

Thanks,
Shane.

dbord

Premium Subscriber
10-10 probably means the restraining order has expired

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I keep hoping they have destroyed the Firearms registry. And I wonder if the CFRO refers to the licensing of people to purchase firearms and ammunition? The Possession and Acquisition License [PAL] is still required and hopefully this is what CFRO is referred to to tell if one has a potential to have firearms. When purchasing firearms, at least non prohibited ones, you as purchaser do nothing to register them. However, I hear the new government is again looking at this.

Cognomen

CFRO is "Canadian Firearms Registry Online".

cfro said:
The Canadian Firearms Registry Online (CFRO) is an indispensible tool for frontline policing and law enforcement. CFRO provides immediate access to firearms license information, license statuses, and firearms registration information in the Canadian Firearms Information System (CFIS), thus preparing officers for more effective responses to calls involving, or potentially involving, firearms. In addition to improving the safety of officers and the public, the CFRO system is important in the investigation of firearm-related crimes and the identification of lost or stolen firearms.

https://www.cpkn.ca/course_cfro

It is touted as an "officer safety tool". It will show all firearms registered to that address. However, as you are no doubt aware, not all firearms require registration, and not all registered firearms are necessarily stored at that location (ie. one can lend a firearm). More importantly, criminals don't pay attention to such things as registering their handguns, magazine limits, prohibited devices, etc. So even though a CFRO check is automatically done, it doesn't really provide any safety against actual criminals.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
The links posted above are from 2007 and 2009.
On April 5, 2012, Bill C-19, the Ending the Long-gun Registry Act, came into effect. The key changes are as follows:
Removal of the requirement to register non-restricted firearms
Destruction of the existing non-restricted firearms registration records
Allowing the transferor of a non-restricted firearm to obtain confirmation of a transferee's firearms acquisition licence prior to the transfer being finalized
It is important to note that the new law does not change the requirement for all individuals to hold a licence in order to possess a firearm. The licensing, safety training and safe storage requirements for anyone who uses or owns a firearm continue to be in force.
The legislation also does not impact registration requirements for restricted or prohibited firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.