What is that noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

Hey all. While spinning that magic knob on my Grundig 450 dlx, I hear that weird analog sound that sounds like the windsheild wipers going on a 1970's Ford truck--while tuning the A.M radio... It is all over the place from 10 mhz to 29.990... What is it-and what to do? Thanks

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If you hear a "chuffing" noise only when turning the knob, then likely it is an internally generated product generated within the radio. The sound varies with the tuning rate and the frequency step. It is a common "noise" problem in less expensive radios, due to design, for which there are few or no solutions. In the 1990s, I saw some technical fixes by end users of a few different radios, but that was the exception not the rule. HTH.

Last edited:

mainetrunk

Roger that sir, it IS pn top of the computer--on desk---next to monitor. Tv 7 feet away. Also using the internal antenna. I cant wait for spring to get to places I cannot now. I basicly have electricity all around and over the Grundig.. The Alinco just grabs any signal it can and amplifies it.. 50 khz --- 520 khz is FILLED with annoying noises.

mainetrunk

Quick example---23291 khz---23313.. same sound is not present yet, but this particular range has just as bad interference. Many SLOTS of that noise. Well, at this moment---3:53 pm, the airwaves havent opened up yet. Many disruptions, but not that windshield wiper noise,YET... Let you know when it comes up tonight.

mainetrunk

Ok, it is 4:50 pm EST, I just heard a weird signal on 14744, good reception. Then it faded away. Just when I touched the knob, there it is. The wiper sound. It stretches from 14741 -- 14752. SLOT, I call it. 15433--15450 is the same thing. This time I can describe it. Sounds like the worst ground in the world, while car is accellerating.. Same on 15484.. Wow, I just noticed it stopped when my washing machine stopped. Can I get signals from a washer? It's on dx only.. NO way. Is this thing reacting to a washer 8 feet below through a regular floor? That sux... Well, thanks anyhow.. Cant scan durring laundry, thats a 1st

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
You'll have to try to isolate the noise. Yes, the washer definitely will interfere especially if you don't have an external antenna with a screened feeder. Next time you hear the noise, go and see if the washer is running, take the radio with you and find all the other noise sources, TV's, satellite boxes, cable box, light dimmers, WiFi and routers, switch mode power supplies, the list is endless, then you can start worrying about the external noises. Some of them are data transmissions, usually military. I have one near me on 4250kHz that is so consistent I use it as a performance test! Sounds like a large truck going uphill (STANAG?) and it's S8 day and night 24/7.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Back in the 1970s when living in a dense Levittown-like community, the electric company noise-finding engineer helped me solve noise on the HF bands. Sources included rusty deadends on high voltage lines, arcing on power pole insulators (dirt) up to 2 miles away. One of the worst offending finds, a half-mile away, was a home dryer timer switch that appeared to shut off, but it actually hung up and "burbled" on the "off" position. Noise levels dropped about 60 dB after 3 months of work.

The noise sources have increased many times over with CATV, computers and routers, and the replacements for the incandescent light bulb. But the fix hasn't changed. Clean up your house first, isolating circuits and equipment. It isn't easy but someone has to do it. Good luck. HTH.

mainetrunk

Now you are talking isolating noises, aka spin that dial 50,000 times in my immediate area. THAT wont happen, nope, you need a decent handheld that searches what you want without spinning the dial 50,000 times. Maybe 2,000 spins. This is why I got the Alinco dj-x11t. Put a R.S scanner stub antenna on it and walk around like I'm looking for radiation. Hahaha. I've done it before. ( scanners ) Good idea majoco. This could take a while. I'd rather use the stub antenna for the immediate property check. Suggestions on antennas out in the field anyone?

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...The Alinco just grabs any signal it can and amplifies it.. 50 khz --- 520 khz is FILLED with annoying noises.

I common complaint with radios of that class, and why I strongly urge newcomers to the hobby to avoid them.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Can I get signals from a washer? It's on dx only.. NO way. Is this thing reacting to a washer 8 feet below through a regular floor?

ANY electrical household appliance is capable of generating interference. It can take considerable skill and effort to eliminate it, or at least control it enough to the point that you can listen to what you want to listen to.

A good external antenna is a MUST. Barring that, there are some indoor loop antennas that can give some amazing results.

Rather than fight to track down every source of noise, I wound up using a combination of outdoor steerable loop antennas, and active noise cancellers.

mainetrunk

Sheeesh, I got alot of interference in my area. I even get the neighbors washer. 80 feet away. Well, guess its time for E-bay again. What if I made a bnc to Alinco, with Belden 8219 rg-58a/u cable--10 feet, the end would be cut flat. No trimmings at all. Just until I get the PROPER antenna. How bad could it get?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ok, it is 4:50 pm EST, I just heard a weird signal on 14744, good reception. Then it faded away. Just when I touched the knob, there it is. The wiper sound. It stretches from 14741 -- 14752. SLOT, I call it. 15433--15450 is the same thing. This time I can describe it. Sounds like the worst ground in the world, while car is accellerating.. Same on 15484.. Wow, I just noticed it stopped when my washing machine stopped. Can I get signals from a washer? It's on dx only.. NO way. Is this thing reacting to a washer 8 feet below through a regular floor? That sux... Well, thanks anyhow.. Cant scan durring laundry, thats a 1st

You may be hearing two different items. CODAR is generally fixed and since you're near the water, this is very likely what you're hearing. You may even pick up CODAR from the UK. This is in USB mode --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zupfLO1PjrA

You're also probably hearing the SuperDARN network which is roughly from 10 Mhz to 18 Mhz and active during the day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGzG9bZ42aA

nanZor

You are too close to noise sources on the desk, computer, tv etc. It is decently sensitive enough to actually be a problem indoors and not out in the "field" somewhat away from noisemakers.

Indoors, on AM you'll typically find that you must orient the radio so that the internal loopstick puts the noise source in a null.

Same for using HF with the whip. It is sensitive enough that you'll probably have to play with the whip to find a spot / angle to null household noise while sacrificing signal strength. Running solely from batteries is also recommended so that the ac-adapter cable does not act like an antenna and make the noise problem worse - or distort the nulling ability of the internal loopstick on am.

While it is cheap plastic, it does earn the marketing moniker of "field radio". :)

You'll enjoy much better reception by slinging some RG-6 coax from the F-connector on the back to an outdoor antenna as far away from the noisemakers as you can get - even if it is nothing more complicated than 20 or so feet of wire attached to the center conductor of the RG-6 on the other end. The AM-RF gain also works on HF, so you can easily manage any overload from this setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

mainetrunk

Thanks guys. I also noticed that if I leave it in auto mode, it goes to AM on it's own. Thus, the sensitivity.? When I put it in USB mode running the search from 4.000 mhz -- 29.000 mhz, it cuts ALOT of crap out. I got a spot for it, proper wire. It's just like a Uniden or R.S scanner in AUTO, picks up every stinkin thing. I got AM coverred, now to play with the options: Continuous Wave, Lower SideBand, Upper SideBand. Remember, this Alinco and Grundig are just learning toyz. The real equipment comes later. Thank God the Alinco has a 2 setting attenuator. GENIOUS, my thought..

mainetrunk

I went for a long awaited signal check in Kittery,Me this afternoon. Im pleased to say there was no interference, nore any usb freqs being used at that moment, 3.000---28.000 mhz. Tomorrow I will try Dover NH, Garrison hill.. Thanks guys, Ron

Boombox

I think one of my neighbors' washers makes sounds like aliens taking off -- covers sections of the SW band from just below 6000 khz to above 13 Mhz. The changes in those noises seem to follow the cycles of an average washer.

And like Nick said, CODARs can sound like windshield wipers, sort of a sweep noise. Where I live, I can hear clusters of them transmitting in various sections of the SW spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.