What is the best to buy? Pro 197 or Pro 652 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcgama

Hello friends,

I'm from Brazil and I saw an announcement of the radiosack pro scanner 197 and the pro 652 radiosack. So I was in doubt of which to buy, the seller told me the radiosack 652 it has dstar, p25, mototrbo modes ...
As I do not know very well I would like to know of the friends here from the forum if the radiosack 652 scanner actually picks these modes and what the differences are from the 652 pair to the pro 197.

Thanks to all the friends of the forum.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The only way those scanners will pick up anything other than P25 Phase 1 is if they have had a discriminator tap and run decoding software on a PC.
They are the same scanner the 197 was built by GRE and after GRE went under Whistler built the 652.

rcgama

But is there any difference between PRO 197 AND PRO 652? Or both have the same features and functionality?

rcgama

Here in Brazil are selling these used scanners and the difference of price of pro 195 for pro 652 becomes $ 300.00 an absurd then for being of the same equipment, with just the change of manufacturer.

rcgama

But does this scanner both the PRO 197 and the PRO 652 get the DSTAR mode and the MOTOTRBO?
In case I do a frequency scan and it already detects automatically (if it is DSTAR, P25 or MOTOTRBO) and it will work?

Or do I have to program it via software to get DOTAR MOTOTRBO?

Where can I find the programming software and cable for the radio?

Thank you.

rcgama

Ah understand, the seller here see http://producto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-812130588-scanner-radio-shack-pro-652-_JM

He told me that it can be scanned yes and that the device automatically detects when it is DSTAR, AP25 or MOTOTRBO .... (Sly seller said this thinking that I was going to buy it right away) I am researching the days and I was right with this doubt. I found the forum here and you are helping me. Thank you so!

I'm a lover of radio listening but here in Brazil in my city everything is scanned and by the way I do not even know if it's just P25.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
DMR is marketed by a consortium of users, but MOTOTRBO is Motorola's product - see our articles in the glossary

DMR - The RadioReference Wiki

MOTOTRBO - The RadioReference Wiki

The 'Motorola' reference refers to the many SmartZone and similar analog trunks out there (not a very precise term but for brevity, it's OK...)

However due to numerous hardware and firmware changes that would be needed, neither DMR nor MOTOTRBO can be trunked / decoded by either scanner. There is, however, a strictly unofficial hack for the PRO-668 that does seem to work well for DMR / MOTOTRBO.

See the other threads in this forum for more information

Mike

ka5ils

Radio shack pro 652

Can the same programing software for the pro 197 be used for the 652?

Status
Not open for further replies.