What Is The Difference Between A Scanner And A Receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetblack3791

I was looking for scanners on e-bay and saw the AOR 8200U MKIII, but it said it is a receiver. I was curious what the difference was, and if the AOR 8200U MKIII was any good for scanning?

LouisvilleScanMan

Premium Subscriber
The difference between scanners and "receivers" is about the same as the difference between a Dodge and a Rolls Royce. the so called receivers are much more expensive and have more bells and whistles then your run of the mill Radio Shack or Uniden scanner.

N9JIG

Sheriff
jetblack3791 said:
I was looking for scanners on e-bay and saw the AOR 8200U MKIII, but it said it is a receiver. I was curious what the difference was, and if the AOR 8200U MKIII was any good for scanning?

All scanners are receivers, but not all receivers are scanners...

That said, the word "Receiver" in this context usually refers to a radio that, while it may scan, is not used primarily as a scanner, but as a communications receiver. They are more intended to be used to twirl around a range of channels or frequencies, scanning is usually limited in features, speed or other capabilities. The AOR 8200, AR8000, and AR3000 are examples of Communications Receivers, as is the Icom R7000, R10, R20 and R8500. Communications Receivers often have SSB capabilities, and large tuning knobs, but usually do not include trunking.

"Scanners" are primarily designed to check a specific set of pre-programmed channels for activity. Think BC780 or Pro96 for example. Many scanners have trunking, PL, or other features, but often they do not have a large tuning knob and usually don't have SSB.

jetblack3791

Thanks for the info. I am still trying to figure out what I need. There are so many products out there that it makes it difficult for someone who is just getting started to know what to buy.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Guys, why do you have to make things difficult? "Scanner" is simply slang for "frequency scanning radio receiver", period.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
Guys, why do you have to make things difficult? "Scanner" is simply slang for "frequency scanning radio receiver", period.

That doesn't explain the other half of the OP's question. He wanted to know the difference which was answered in a simple state. The people who answered not only answered, but they described the difference AND gave an example of each. That just might help the OP now in his search for either one, since he now knows the difference between the 2 (and some common characteristics) and a few models of both scanners and receivers.

N9JIG

Sheriff
jetblack3791 said:
Thanks for the info. I am still trying to figure out what I need. There are so many products out there that it makes it difficult for someone who is just getting started to know what to buy.

Yes, there are a lot of choices. I would suggest that you take stock in what you plan on listening to now and what you might be listening to soon and look for a radio that covers those items. For example, if you want to monitor an APCO25 trunked system then you can pretty much forget about an Icom or AOR and look at the Uniden and Radio Shack scanners. Conversely, if you are looking for a non-trunking radio that does HF as well as VHF and UHF then the AR8000 or R20 might be right up your alley.

Enjoy!

When I've had some of my somewhat newbie scanning friends who are more used to scanners from radio shack or wal-mart come over to my radio room and they get to mess around with my Icom R8500 or AOR AR5000+3/SDU5500 or some of the other higher end "communication receivers" one of the first things they ask is "do I need one of these?" or "I want to get one like this but is it that much better?" My usual response is that if you have to ask the question then you probably don't need one yet. They're specialized, high performance radios that are annoying to work with. Your high end Uniden or Radio shack will run rings around them when it comes to your regular mundane scanning duties like monitoring your local police department and they'll do it for the fraction of the price.

However when you realize you need the capabilities of such a beast for certain monitoring targets and you can turn one loose with the proper antenna and use it to its fullest potential they can really come into their own and you can really see just where that 2 kilobucks went.

Status
Not open for further replies.