• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What is the law regarding FRS/GMRS transmit power

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeddleMan

keep looking

There is a thread about this here. The change is automatic on the bubbles.I'm sure it's in the software.

romad275

That is what you said in post 39 above; I'm curious HOW the software knows when to switch between power levels as I can't find away to manually do it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It knows based on the channel. 1-7 are shared GMRS channels, so it will use the higher power. 8-14 are FRS-only channels, so it will limit to .5W or less. 15-22 are like 1-7, shared GMRS and high power.

romad275

Ah, so it DOESN'T "automatically change" on Channels 1-7; I couldn't see how it could do so (at least without a lot of extra signal detection circuitry). Since Channels 1-7 are FIXED at the high power output, then someone who wanted to use them for FRS is SOL if they have a dual-band unit. There should be a manual power switch for those channels.

MeddleMan

um

Ah, so it DOESN'T "automatically change" on Channels 1-7; I couldn't see how it could do so (at least without a lot of extra signal detection circuitry). Since Channels 1-7 are FIXED at the high power output, then someone who wanted to use them for FRS is SOL if they have a dual-band unit. There should be a manual power switch for those channels.
I still think you're confused. Dual band, really? Keep reading. :-(

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Dual service would be accurate (they are in the same band). You are correct, Channels 1-7 are set so that they operate under GMR Service rules, not FR Service rules.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
most of the gmrs guys in vegas use baofang radios ,, there 1w/4w and not type approved

That's probably one of the biggest debacles in Part 95A. Read the rules and you'll find they contradict themselves. First it says all radios must be type accepted for operation in GMRS (I believe that is the actual wording if memory serves correct), then it states all radios must meet the technical specifications of GMRS (which all Part 90 radios do. Nearly all of the Baofeng line is Part 90 compliant.

I don't remember hearing of people getting busted by the FCC for using Part 90 radios (who were licensed). All of the stories/reports I've seen are hams using Part 97 equipment on GMRS.

Similarly the part about interconnection. If you read it you may notice it is talking about interconnection to the switched telephone network (exception being a 911 patch). There is also an entire omitted section in the current rules that defines a wireline link in GMRS.

Not trying to start a debate here, just saying, the rules have been hacked up over the last 25 years and never really re-written. So they can be quite vague. Most times when you ask the FCC they'll read the first part and say there it is in black and white…when you point out the contradicting statements, they'll just scratch their heads and give a blank stare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

It would actually depend on how the radio was type accepted. AFAIK, all 22-channel combo units are going to be type accepted for GMRS operation on 1-7, 15-22 and FRS operation on 8-14 (that is the case on all Uniden units). If you operate on 1-7, 15-22 a license is technically required, even if you are operating under .5W (since regulatory-wise the radio itself is not considered to be a "FRS" radio except on 8-14).

Also, remember, FRS requires narrow FM (NBFM) with a maximum deviation of 2.5 kilohertz. The channels are spaced at 12.5 kilohertz intervals and GMRS operates Wide FM (WFM) with 5 kHz deviation and 25 kHz spacing.

Channels 1-7 are set to WFM, which is prohibited under FRS rules.

kd7mxi

motorola repeater capable bubble wraps have 2 tx buttons ,,, placed in a way that most users rarely use the low power transmit button since the high power one is easier to use ....

KF5YDR

. Nearly all of the Baofeng line is Part 90 compliant.
Maybe in theory, but they're all over the place on deviation and spurious emissions. The UV-5R and its variants are definitely not Part 90 approved.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DFRS

Sounds like we need a dysfunctional family radio service. DFRS Maybe doctor Phil could chime in on this one?

Project25_MASTR

Maybe in theory, but they're all over the place on deviation and spurious emissions. The UV-5R and its variants are definitely not Part 90 approved.

The ones I have have been relatively good. No spurious emissions and proper deviation (checked with network analyzers).

I'll just leave this here:
UV-5R Part 90 Grant

KF5YDR

You must have lucked out. I got through about a dozen Google hits before I got bored of reading 'harmonics not well controlled, low audio, inconsistent deviation' on every one.

What I'm saying is that the units they sent to the FCC for type approval may have made the cut, but their QC can't deliver that consistently. It's not that big a deal one way or the other. Forty dollar radio performs about forty dollars' worth.

Project25_MASTR

You must have lucked out. I got through about a dozen Google hits before I got bored of reading 'harmonics not well controlled, low audio, inconsistent deviation' on every one.

What I'm saying is that the units they sent to the FCC for type approval may have made the cut, but their QC can't deliver that consistently. It's not that big a deal one way or the other. Forty dollar radio performs about forty dollars' worth.

I know a Baofeng (Pofeng) reseller…we test one out every 100-150. NIB they've always been on the mark. Now where they always lack is in the squelch circuit. Sometimes even receive PLs don't even help.

Cowthief

Hello.

I have tested over 200 Baofeng radios, some under other names.
The receive may be bad, but transmit is fine.
And, there was a CB/FRS unit out a while back.
It had a fixed antenna for the FRS side and a standard SO-239 for CB, they work well.
FRS is used for things like parking lots and the like, ultra short range.
When you have 50 trucks in a truck stop you have a problem with not being able to hear the other trucks, too close.
But, FRS solves the problem.
Backing, the spotter can carry the talkie.
.5 watt is more than enough in this case.

D

DaveNF2G

Really? A dual-band Part 95 transceiver? What make and model?

Status
Not open for further replies.