What Is The "Life" Of A Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddley

Hey gang,

I was just wondering how long you've all had your scanners for, and what is the typical lifepsan of a scanner radio? I had an old Pro 2023 and another old handheld from Radio Shack(can't remember the model number), and they both held up pretty good and stood the test of time. Both were over ten years old when I replaced them, and my reason for replacing them was simply because my local municipality switched over to trunked, not because they malfunctioned or were "worn out". They merely became obsolete with the passing years...

With that said, I've noticed a lot of these newer radios seem to develop problems after they reach the one-year old mark. (and right after the warranty expires of course)... Is that typical of today's equipment? Granted, I know that electronics either work right or fail when still relatively new, but is it simply me, or does it seem that today's radios just don't seem to hold up very well as in days gone by? How long have you all had your radios for? My new toy is a Bearcat BCT8, but I've read mixed reviews about it here, including one guy who ended up with four bad units. I'm assuming that was just co-incidence, but who knows? Just wondering what your thought are...

73's!

SCPD

QRT
Havent been into scanning more than a few years, but my 2nd scanner was a Pro-96, and just about a year after I bought it, the sound had a defect where it would stay at a very low volume and couldent be changed. I sent it in just before my warranty went up, got it back and 2 days later, the exact same thing was happening again. By then my warranty was over and Radio Shack would not fix it again under warranty. So that kind of answers your question about the life of newer scanners (or at least the Pro-96). As for my other scanners, never had problems with them and they are fairly new.

-Dylan

rananthony04

I have had my Pro-96 a little over a year. I have (accidently of course) dropped it quite a few times from my desk, or while holding it and have had no problems with it. These falls have all been onto concrete or tile flooring.

-Robert-
Los Angeles

I have an old black box Bearcat crystal scanner (mabye a Bearcat III ?) that still works after 32+ years. It has rarely been turned off during that time. A couple of channels have stopped working, probably due to the crystals going bad. Anyone know if you can still buy crystals??

I also have a Bearcat 200 handheld that has been on pretty much continously since 1989 and still works.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a Uniden 396 because several of the agencies that I listen to have gone to digital trunked systems. Hopefully my good luck with scanner longevity will continue. (knocking on wood)

MetalCarnage

Diddley said:
With that said, I've noticed a lot of these newer radios seem to develop problems after they reach the one-year old mark. (and right after the warranty expires of course)... Is that typical of today's equipment? Granted, I know that electronics either work right or fail when still relatively new, but is it simply me, or does it seem that today's radios just don't seem to hold up very well as in days gone by?

73's!

Ha, why dont we just expand this to even outside radios. Nothing these days is made built to last, everything is all about spitting out as many units of X for the cheapest price Y. They dont build anything good anymore, look at cars these days, they are pieces of crap. even the 80's cars were way better then todays models. I had a 1988 Caprice Classic with a 5.0L V8, got 460,000km out of the motor until i sold it because it was using too much gas, not becuase it stopped working, and it NEVER had any motor work done except for the usual bs like cooked alternator and one or two broken belts, but thats all. i drove a rental Hyundai accent last year (it only had 12K km on it) and just driving it hard a little it managed to bl0w the transmission on the little junker. Things just arent built to last because they try to make everything disposable these days, doesnt matter what it is, scanners, electronics, cars,

Rant Complete

KR4BD

I have these scanners, all of which were bought "new" and all still work.

The year of purchase is in ( ).

Regency TMR-8H (1971)
Regency ACT-W10 Whamo 10 (1974)
Regency ACT-R10H/L/U (1974)
Regency ACT-A4W (1975)
Bearcat BC-200XLT (1990)
Radio Shack Pro-2004 (1986)
Radio Shack Pro-94 (2000)
Radio Shack Pro-92 (2001)
Radio Shack Pro-2050 (2000)
Radio Shack Pro-2052 (2001)

jpm

I still have my 800xlt scanner around. Using it in the garage for summer and back to the office afterwards and it still works great.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a RS Pro-2035. Serial number is 000305, dated 6A4, which I believe is June 1994. still going strong butI think it needs realigning.

rcvmo

I have a Regency ACT HLU-10 circa 1975. It has been retired to my museum but still works. I have it monitoring my local PD/FD/intercity/and DPW. Now those were the days where the audio quality would blow you out of the house.
rcvmo

daleduke17

Right now I have a Pro-96 I bought off of this site and it works perfectly. The Pro-2052 I got off of ebay works perfectly as well.

My dad still has an old Regency crystal scanner and that thing still chugs away on the six channels that are still current in his area (even though he as a pro-2014 in his house as well).

pathalogical

I bought my Pro-46 new in 1993, never any problems even after being dropped. Bought my Pro-43 used from original owner in May 2006, date code 11A4, so far so good. And my 246 bought new in November 2005 and so far so good, although I don't use the software, the little rubber thingy that cover the PC port is bulging out as if it doesn't fit in its place snuggly, flush against the scanner. I wonder if the warmer weather has caused the rubber to expand. Also, why didn't they provide a rubber cap for the earphone and power outlet for when not in use to help keep dust out ? Isn't that why it's on the PC jack ? I'm tempted to amputate it, but I don't think I will.

K3GI

Pro 26 purchased in 1998 still going strong.
Pro 2035 purchased in 1995 still going strong.
BC 2500 XLT purchased in 1997(?) still going strong--had to replace rechargeable battery pack.
BC 100 XLT purchased in 1990 sold to a friend who is still using it. Had to replace battery pack.
My brother-in-law owns a pro 2006 purchased in the 80's still going strong.

Have a Pro-2006 for around 16-17 yrs and still works fine. Also have and old regency in the closet don't remember the model but it around 27-28 yrs old and still does a fine job the last time I had it hooked up.

LedZeppelin

Both my Pro-2006 and my BC200XLT have been running constantly every day for the past 13 years, never a problem with either. Only had to change the battery pack on the 200XLT.

bill44

scanners

i still have a rs pro 1 1967 2020 1970s + all the new scanners around 30
bill

red8

it depends on the use and care of the radio, i had Radio Shack Patrolman scanner that lasted years. i had an old bearcat 210
and it lasted for about 10 years. then i had a bearcat 250 i bought
and brought home and after four days when i would turn it on it would not scan and developed a hum when ever plugged in
i have now gotten to where if a new one comes out (i.eP25) i try
to save up my pennies for it .

KE7TJK

The scanner I have dedicated to the local P.D. channels is a Regency MX3000 that I bought new in 1985, and it is the best scanner audio and reception wise of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.