What is the status of Lakeland Florida system for Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

aharry

What is the status of Lakeland Florida system for Public Safety

The HP-1 will NOT receive City of Lakeland.

The PSR-800 is currently not available new, as GRE the manufacturer is out of business. Your best bet if it is City of Lakeland you are interested in is:

1. Get one of the two new Uniden scanners (BCD436HP/536HP) being shipped early next year.
2. Wait for the new PRS-800 being manufactured by Whistler also shipping early 2014.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
The GRE PSR-800 utilizes downloads from the RadioReference database, which are updated weekly (thanks to DonS). Additionally, you can program or modify any frequency, talkgroup, or trunked system.

The software is free. Give it a try. PSR-800 Software Utility Manager v1.03 - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite
Run the updates for the "software" and "library" only, since you don't own the scanner yet.

However, the GRE PSR-800 has limited availability. Many have been sold on Ebay in recent months.

The antenna port on the -800 scanner is BNC. The stock antenna doesn't do a bad job on VHF or UHF, including 800 MHz. I have other antennas for it but the original antenna works well enough.

I have enjoyed mine, since they were released.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
usia, I merged your thread with the existing thread on Lakeland.

Hope you get the answer you need.

aharry

So, whats the verdict? Can we monitor Lakeland PD. Or are they encrypted???

When the P25 phase II system first went live Lakeland PD channels were encrypted. After a couple of weeks they went into the clear, and as far as I know they have remained so I have no inside information on why this was done but a couple of thoughts are:

1) They had communications problems when using encryption (probably NOT the issue).

2) They wanted to verify they could be operational in this mode if the need arises?

3) LPD was/is under the microscope and continues to be the target of relentless criticism from The Ledger newspaper and State Attorney Jerry Hill. The last thing LPD needed was to appear to go even further in keeping the public and the media in the dark about their day to day operations.

Just some thoughts on the subject.

usia

Premium Subscriber
Great, thank you for the help.
So since it's a P25 phase II TDMA system only the GRE 800 scanner can modulate the signal? Can you confirm that you are able to monitor the PD currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.