• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

What is the strangest "10-code" you have heard/seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
title says it all. Who has something like a 10-93 Soccer Hooligan Riot or a 10-28 Bagpipe player refusing to wear pants.

I have no clue, but I have read a few that raise my eyebrow a bit when I see one for a policeboat in a town that has not river/lake/pond etc.

my local FD were dispatched to a run, and they usually never use 10-codes, but this time the dispatcher went...

- Station 5, respond on a 10-37 at __________.
- (Firefighter) we're on the way......what exactly is a 10-37?
- My console shows a 10-37 as a Drunk Mental Patient Destroying Trailer. I better send PD.

I wouldnt think a 10-code would get THAT specific. What if he was destroying a house....

Jay911

Premium Subscriber
Calgary Police use 10-69 for prostitution. Interestingly enough, though, they are arranged alphabetically (10-01 is Accident, Injury; 10-02 is Accident, w/o Injury; 10-03 is Accident, Other; 10-04 is Alarm; 10-05 is Assault; etc). So it just happened to turn out that way.

If you want a laugh, find the Medical Priority Dispatch card info. I thought it was in the wiki, but maybe someone just placed it in their "codes and lists" page on some agency's database entry. Check out the Card 26 'Sick Person' subtypes on an Alpha determinant. There should be about 28 of them. I have dispatched on at least a dozen of them.. drives me crazy. :)

timjude

Premium Subscriber
Our local codes Lawrence co ky
10-45 collision without injury
10-46 collision with injury
10-97 on scene
10-98 leaving scene
code 600 mentally disturbed person (I fit in there)
Signal 5 Eating doughnuts
Signal 6 telephone call
10-89 domestic in progress
10-50 corner
Code 149 Impaired driver
Code 115 Speeder
Code Yellow School bus wreck
Signal 2 Meet with"Me"
Signal 9 Haul some A$$ And get there
Signal 10 Drugs or confidential information

Scanfan03 wrote:

"The Harris county SO uses 171 for crazy person."

The code came from the old operator controlled telephone system. The mental facility at Jeff Davis Hospital had the extension 171, and it stuck. The choice Sheriff Deputy badge number was 171, and when someone got promoted, there was a bidding war for the badge. The phone extensions were used for years until direct dial lines were established throughout the county telephone system. Nowadays, phone numbers are rarely used, and usually the county location or address are used. For example, 1201 Commerce and IPC are the same location (county jail intake/inmate processing center), and depending on department policy, one or the other is used. But, often, various agencies do still use the phone extension when on their "back channel". And, occasionally one will hear the old number used, but nowadays the preferred use is the CAD code or EDP (emotionally disturbed person).

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
bpckty1 said:
Scanfan03 wrote:

"The Harris county SO uses 171 for crazy person."

The code came from the old operator controlled telephone system. The mental facility at Jeff Davis Hospital had the extension 171, and it stuck. The choice Sheriff Deputy badge number was 171, and when someone got promoted, there was a bidding war for the badge. The phone extensions were used for years until direct dial lines were established throughout the county telephone system. Nowadays, phone numbers are rarely used, and usually the county location or address are used. For example, 1201 Commerce and IPC are the same location (county jail intake/inmate processing center), and depending on department policy, one or the other is used. But, often, various agencies do still use the phone extension when on their "back channel". And, occasionally one will hear the old number used, but nowadays the preferred use is the CAD code or EDP (emotionally disturbed person).

EDP!

oh okay, I've heard that several times before on local comms. Never figured it out!:cool:

Emotionally Disturbed Person. How politically correct:roll:
If I was fire chief, the code would be BST BatSh!t Crazy:D

brandon

Database Admin
Not really strange per se but used a little differently:

10-7 - often used to report a death/fatality ("shots fired! suspect is 10-7")

Not necessarily a 10-code, but I've heard DRT.

Dead right there, as in, "We've got a DOA, DRT". The more PC term is DOS, Dead on Scene.

Some 10 Codes still used in Alabama, by a few agencies:

10-30--Illegal use of radio

10-45--Off day

10-54--Livestock on highway. (J1-Live stock; J2-Carcass)

10-82--Reserve lodging

10-83--Cancel reservations

10-91--Unnecessary use of radio

10-97--Civil disturbance. (A-Racial; B- Teenagers; C-Crowd Gathering; D-Fighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.