PSR500/PSR600: What is your opinion of the delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

What is your opinion of the delay on sound. I've got a Baofeng sitting next to my PSR600 on the same channel and it takes the 600 a lot longer to open. Things like "copy that" come through the HT but just open the squelch at the end on the 600. How does that compare with other scanners? It's very annoying. If I were scanning it would miss it entirely.

ScannerSK

What is your opinion of the delay on sound. I've got a Baofeng sitting next to my PSR600 on the same channel and it takes the 600 a lot longer to open. Things like "copy that" come through the HT but just open the squelch at the end on the 600. How does that compare with other scanners? It's very annoying. If I were scanning it would miss it entirely.

This is a known issue. The delay is the time the scanner takes to determine if the conventional object is digital or non-digital. To prevent this delay, program conventional channels as non-digital channels. In the programming menu, use "CTCSS" as the "Sq Mode" and "Search" as the "CTCSS Hz" mode and that should solve your problem.

Enjoy, it's a great scanner overall.

Shawn

Ubbe

There's a value in the scanner under expert setting that are called Digital Detect Time. If it's anything like in a Uniden scanner it is a timer that mutes the audio for a while until the scanner have decided if it is a datasignal it can decode and then outputs decoded audio or just unmute the raw audio for an analog conventional signal.

I always have that value set to zero so that I can hear if it's a datasignal I hit and it will mute that data after some 300mS and then switch to decoded audio, or instantly give me the audio from a conventional transmission. I don't like any kind of delays in the audio and I prefere to hear the initial data burst but some people might like to have it muted and accept the delay of the SQ unmute.

It is set to mute for 600mS after a squelch detect as default in the PSR600. The Whistler TRX doesn't have that as a user setting and are only one of several unexplainable anomalies in the TRX firmware. New doesn't always mean better and improved.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.