What kind of equipment does the news media use for monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a388sig2

I programmed the NBC station here and they had a psr600, 2 gre 500's and a pro 96. The desktops were hooked to a discone somewhere on their tower.
The news radio station I programmed uses a 996XT also to an outside antenna.

Curious how often, or even at all, do you need to go back and update them?

stingray327

I programmed the NBC station here and they had a psr600, 2 gre 500's and a pro 96. The desktops were hooked to a discone somewhere on their tower.
The news radio station I programmed uses a 996XT also to an outside antenna.

I find that the Scat Ant or the discontinued Channel Master antennas work the best and cost less than the discone antenna.

FlashSWT

Good thread, interesting to hear how folks around the country do it.

At my newspaper we just use a bunch of Unidens. Mostly 396Ts with a handful of 396XTs and 996Ts. I've been sitting on the replacement budget for over a year waiting on the new models so it looks like we'll get some new toys sometime soon.

And as someone mentioned above, our main cops/courts reporter keeps his running 24/7. I'm always amazed how he can sleep through the crap but he always wakes up for the good stuff!

stingray327

Good thread, interesting to hear how folks around the country do it.

At my newspaper we just use a bunch of Unidens. Mostly 396Ts with a handful of 396XTs and 996Ts. I've been sitting on the replacement budget for over a year waiting on the new models so it looks like we'll get some new toys sometime soon.

And as someone mentioned above, our main cops/courts reporter keeps his running 24/7. I'm always amazed how he can sleep through the crap but he always wakes up for the good stuff!

Which new scanners will you be purchasing?

stingray327

I'm sure we'll end up with a BCD-436HP first since I primarily use a handheld in my truck. Our cops reporter is already drooling over the optional WiFi feature of the BCD-536HP so I'm sure we'll have a few of those as well.

sAME here. Uniden 436 and a 536. Whistler is also releasing GRE scanners. In any event time will tell and I'll wait and see which ones get the best reviews.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
never heard of a news gatherer that does not use scanner

Do they use scanners? You bet (got this info from KPHO here in AZ) I am not quoting him as I didn't ask, but it's probably common knowledge. I think all news gatherers use scanners. The KPHO guy said he had 9 scanners on his desk and it's hard to pay attention to all of them at the same time. I found this out by a time I contacted their news desk to ask why a shooting wasn't on the news ("WHAT shooting?") some time back.

OregonJourno

I'm the cops reporter at a small daily in rural Oregon. We have a GRE PSR-400 in between the reporters desks, and a couple of BC125AT's for the car. The only digital stuff we have to contend with comes from the Coast Guard.

The CBS affiliate in town is using a bunch of Radio Shack stuff, IIRC.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've helped one of our local TV stations set up their four Uniden 996XTs, two of which were just purchased. They've also got a couple of other "vintage" scanners. They are also using a roof top antenna system.

Status
Not open for further replies.