What kind of radio is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I don't know where to post this, so I guess I'll post it here.

I recently acquired this South Korean military radio, but I can't figure out what it is. It is missing several components and doesn't have any sort of serial plate on it.

59ed18b5d85b6c544591c35efee55521.jpg

e37bb35d1f10551f31e2efada52c0fa6.jpg

243fb3b74014d747d6e05e7988a0d1a4.jpg

c2362d852e1e707e054f9ab849c55e79.jpg

8a77926603423016a4eae4e52da3e3cd.jpg

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hard to tell, unless you find someone who reads korean, however it looks like a dumbed down version of a SINCGARS radio for hf. Interesting! :). 73, n9zas

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Using an app on my phone, I was able to determine that A307 on the circuit diagram is for the internal power supply. Next, I'll work on translating what's on the control panel. Maybe that will help...somewhat.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Okay...
First, the writing below the toggle switch translates as "OPERATIONAL CONTROL". (I suspected as much).
Lower position: "OFF"
Middle Position: "NETWORK"
Upper Position: "DIRECT"
Knob: "VOLUME"
"J3" Connector: "DATA"
"J4" Connector: "POWER INPUT"
Side Keys (Top to Bottom)
White #1: "MEMORY"
White #2: "CHECK"
White #3: "FIRST"
White #4: "REMOVE" (Possibly means "Delete")
Yellow "#" Key: "RECALL"
Yellow "*" Key: "CALL"
Display:
Below Left: "SENSITIVITY"
Below Right: "PRINT"

CIRCUIT DIAGRAM:
A307: "POWER SUPPLY" (Missing from radio)
A306: Unknown; translates as "van service"
A305: "DIGITAL SUBSCRIBER CONNECTION"
A304: Unknown; translates as "keywords half"
A303: Unknown; translates as "half clock generation"
A315: Unknown; translates as "electronics for the first half"
A314: "DEMODULATION FREQUENCY SYNTHESIZER" (Missing from radio)
A302: "TUNING" (Missing from radio)

Well, I don't think there's anything there that suggests it is an HF unit. I am suspecting it is more likely a VHF low-band unit.

Last edited:

N8OHU

Damn, that might be a Korean Military HF transceiver with some form of digital data capability like ALE. Hmm...

gewecke

Banned
Using an app on my phone, I was able to determine that A307 on the circuit diagram is for the internal power supply. Next, I'll work on translating what's on the control panel. Maybe that will help...somewhat.
Are you able to power it up at all? 73, n9zas

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
It is NOT a 77. 77s don't have keypad and display units.

It's fairly modern, probably late 80s or 90s tech.

I did some Google image searches for "South Korean PRC" to try to find it but didn't locate any exact matches.

You're right. I was thinking of one of the older SINCGARS units, like the RT-1439. But it's still not exactly the same.

Delta

prcguy

What you have is a Korean VRC-680K, which is a mobile radio terminal and covers 230 to 290MHz and supports digital traffic up to 16kbits/sec. Its part of a larger integrated communication system that spans HF through microwave and is made by Samsung Electronics in Seoul.
prcguy

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
What you have is a Korean VRC-680K, which is a mobile radio terminal and covers 230 to 290MHz and supports digital traffic up to 16kbits/sec. Its part of a larger integrated communication system that spans HF through microwave and is made by Samsung Electronics in Seoul.
prcguy

That sounds more like it.

gewecke, I am unable to power it on due to the fact that it is missing the internal (5 volt?) power supply.

In case anyone's wondering, I paid about $50 for it on eBay about a year or so ago--with the hope that I could eventually find the missing components. Unfortunately, I haven't seen another one, so I guess it's just a really cool paperweight.

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
That sounds more like it.

gewecke, I am unable to power it on due to the fact that it is missing the internal (5 volt?) power supply.

In case anyone's wondering, I paid about $50 for it on eBay about a year or so ago--with the hope that I could eventually find the missing components. Unfortunately, I haven't seen another one, so I guess it's just a really cool paperweight.
. Wow too bad, so you litterally have a Boat anchor! :D. 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.