• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

What kind of scanner to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a Radio Shack Pro 82 scanner and I can't get anything good on it. I was told on here that I need to get a digital scanner for the area that I live in. They suggested a Pro 96. I am not particular on brand so I was wondering if there is a good Uniden or other digital scanner around $350 or less that you can recommend. I want to listen to police and ambulance mostly and some air/military. Thanks for any info you can give.

captclint

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
nicdoot said:
I was told on here that I need to get a digital scanner for the area that I live in. They suggested a Pro 96.
To properly advise you, we need the county, city and State for which you wish to listen...if you think you can receive some other counties, that may make a difference, so let us know. Typically, all digital scanners are $500 or more. You might find Pro96 on ebay for a little less, especially if you were willing to get a used one. Same is true for the older Uniden's, but really need to see if they will work in your area. Here's a list of scanners: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:Digital_Scanners
I'm traveling today, so let us know, and others will jump in tomorrow.
Edit: Ok, I see from your other posts, you are in Fairfax, VA. I've got to sign off, but this should help others to advise. Also, you did not say if you needed a portable or base unit.

Last edited:

johnnystuyv

Premium Subscriber
Same Question Here

Do I really need a Digital scanner? Or will the BCT-15 do ?

I live in Beach Lake, PA (wayne county)

Thanks in advance !

area I live in

I live in Fairfax County in Fairfax, VA. It covers quite a large area. If a digital got more counties than that I would be pretty amazed and it would be great! Thanks for your help and guidance.

digital scanner

I would prefer a handheld one. Just a personal preference. I found the website you listed with the areas that is covered so that is great. Just trying to figure out which scanner to get. I definitely need one that specifies "digital" and "trunking" right?

eng2trk

Premium Subscriber
nicdoot said:
I would prefer a handheld one. Just a personal preference. I found the website you listed with the areas that is covered so that is great. Just trying to figure out which scanner to get. I definitely need one that specifies "digital" and "trunking" right?
yes digital and trunking - lots of digital here in DC area

actually sitting here listening to my new BCD396t right now

i love it but it's a lot of money - main fire disp is still avl on 460.575

Radio Shack Pro 82

I wish I had known before the 30 days was up about the digital trunking on my Pro 82, which has none. Now I can't return it but can maybe exchange it or a store credit.

captclint

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
nicdoot said:
I wish I had known before the 30 days was up about the digital trunking on my Pro 82, which has none. Now I can't return it but can maybe exchange it or a store credit.
Obviously, you need to find out your options here, since a credit towards a Pro-96 has to be your cheaper option. If no credit, then you are limited to Pro-96 on Ebay, BCD396T (check the like-new price), BC296D, and PSR-500. Pro-96 should fill you needs at the lowest price, but you might find the 296 cheaper on Ebay. I think consensus is that the PSR-500 handles digital a little bit better than the others. I have no digital in my area, so you need to read the various forums(uniden, RS, and GRE) to make up your own mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.