What Radio to Choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman099

What radio should i choose to get in southern california? Im looking at the PRO 97 or GRE PSR 300.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Southern California is a HUGE place. There are a lot of different systems and agencies all over the place. Please narrow down your location, and also tell us what kind of thing you are interested in listening to. Some people only monitor aviation, some only railroads. There is a lot of law enforcement down there, so if that's what you want, give us a specific agency/etc. Some stuff is digital and will require a digital scanner. Certainly you can find stuff to monitor with a PRO-97, but it might not be what you want.

zman099

Irvine california and i would like to listen to my LOCAL PD and OC fire. Also would like to listen to UCI police dept and Highway patrol. Thanks

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Everyone has their opinions, but I would look at Uniden's radios as well. I had a PRO-92B ( I know, that was a long time ago ), and it sucked. It didn't track the OC system well at all.
Something else to consider is that the PRO-97 does not support rebanding, which means it will likely be useless within the next year or so for monitoring Orange County stuff.
THE PSR-300 won't do digital and about 75% of OC's radio system is digital. About the only thing you'd be able to listen to is Fire stuff and pursuits, which suits many people just fine. It's not likely, but if the county decides to "flip the switch" and make everything digital, then you are SOL, although you could still listen to CHP and UCIPD.
With all that being said. All OC law talkgroups are encrypted (except for RED channel) and there is no chance of listening to them whatsoever. You can look in the database and see what is monitorable. Note that anything that has an "A" means analog, which you can recieve with any trunking scanner, "D" means digital, which requires a digital-capable scanner and "E" means encrypted, which can be translated as and cannot be listened to. A colossal waste of my tax dollars!!!!:evil:

zman099

I might get the psr300 today. Cant afford a digital radio right now, but want a radio now so im gonna pick up the psr300.

Status
Not open for further replies.