what scanner to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

trauts14

Can anybody recommend a scanner that can receive trunked/digital frequencies. Also I have no idea what system my local cops use. How can I find out? I do not care whether the unit is handheld or mobile. Thanks for any assistance.

Otto

First we need to know where you are located. You can also try asking in the regional board for your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Check here for local frequencies: RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

How do you plan to use the scanner?
Do you plan on using it at home only? Occasionally?
or Do you plan to install it in your car, so you can listen to the scanner while driving to/from work and other places? Will you always be listening to the scanner when in your car or only on occasion when the mood strikes?

Reason I'm asking is because it's not just about whether the scanner receives your frequency and can output sound, it's also about how easy it is for you to use the scanner.
For example, will you want to record your transmissions, will you be OK to turn on the scanner manually every time you start the car, do you want to take your scanner outside in the park, or on a hike, would you rather get top of the line scanner or the bare minimum that receives your desired frequency and system?

trauts14

darn, i forgot to mention that. i live in high point NC. I would like to monitor HPPD/FIRE. i am open to SDR and i have computer experience, but i monitor via broadcastify and it has been years since i owned a physical scanner. thanks for any assistance.

trauts14

i would probablyinstall at home and maybe set up a raspberry pi to broadcast online. our local broadcastify stream is choppy and i would love to set up my own feed.

Nasby

Might as well get one of the top of the line scanners.

A Whistler TRX-1 or a Uniden BCD436HP.

N8IAA

i would probablyinstall at home and maybe set up a raspberry pi to broadcast online. our local broadcastify stream is choppy and i would love to set up my own feed.

Let me suggest the WS1040/1065. Since NC VIPER and your county are only Phase I digital P-25. No need to go overboard on the latest and greatest since you are going to stream.
Larry

marksmith

Correct. If you don't have phase 2 to deal with, the above 1040/1065 are good choices.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I agree with gonfishn1, Future Proof your scanner and get a BCD536HP or BCD436HP. Especially if you ever travel and want to scan different areas that have different systems.

N8IAA

Obviously, the people from the other side of the Mississippi river don't know what's going on in NC. VIPER is a Phase I system that is still rolling out. Where the OP lives is conventional P-25. He only wishes to listen to what goes on near him. No 'future proofing' is needed. I've used a Pro-106 since the VIPER system started. Too long of a way to go Phase II in the state. And, by the time NC ever goes Phase II, Uniden will have another flag ship scanner on the market.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.