What the heck is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leggs

I've been cleaning out my Pop's shop (he passed away) and I came across this. He was in communications his whole life which included 800 trunking, microwave & two way radio stuff. He built and owned repeater sites (he built the towers himself as well) I'm starting to sell all of the test equipment and looking into selling stuff like D.I.P. plugboards. There's no mystery as to what all that stuff is since it tells you right on it but this thing???? I don't have a clue. If anyone knows what this thing is and/or what its used for please let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• thing.JPG
    thing.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 491
  • thing2.JPG
    thing2.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 476

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Umm,I might be wrong but I'm guessing maybe a HV power supply?
Maybe post a list and more pics for the readers here and they could help you out!
You have my condolences too,since I lost my dad in 2006.:(
N9ZAS

fineshot1

Its a power supply of some kind and by the looks of those heavy duty heat sinked diodes
in I assume a full wave bridge configuration since there are 4 of them its a real heavy duty
unit.

EDIT: Funny how the secondary winding is labeled 6.6 V. Perhaps it is a filament voltage
supply for some old tube electronics device. I do not remember much of what I was trained
regarding power supplies - oh how the grey matter fades. :)
Oh and yes my condolances as I lost my mom in 05 and dad in 07 both due to alzhiemers.

Last edited:

WouffHong

LOW voltage Power supply.

Umm,I might be wrong but I'm guessing maybe a HV power supply?
Maybe post a list and more pics for the readers here and they could help you out!
You have my condolences too,since I lost my dad in 2006.:(
N9ZAS

By virtue of the apparent use of two 6.6 volt output transformers, I would gather they are in series output configuration to give 13.2 Volts out or therebouts after the rectification and filtering.

Probably used to power 12 VDC devices on the bench.

Wouff
(sold my 2-way Radio shop in the 80's and had a similar arrangement..)

BTW: how did he end up with "0" posts count? :confused:

Leggs

Here's one more pic showing whats written on the gold colored tubes. So this is something that not many people are going to have a use for? Or am I not picking up what you are laying down?

Attachments

• thing3.JPG
    thing3.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 379
Big old honk'n home made power supply from the old school of brute force. The gold cylanders appear to be filter caps. Was probably used to power dynamotor radios (lots of start current). Would make an excellent arc welder.

Leggs

So in other words I can use this thing to power up my toaster and jump start my car. Well, I don't think anyone would want to pay the shipping if I sold it cause it weighs a ton and I'm not even sure who could benifit from it if I donated it. Looks like I need to get a bigger desk cause this thing is going to make a huge paperweight. Thanks for the info. If anyone knows of an organization I can donate it to please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.