What to do with an extra PC I have sitting around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I hope I posted this in the right forum... Feel free to move it if need be.

I have an extra Windows PC sitting around in my room that I only use to program my Uniden scanners (since I have a Mac that I use most of the time). I got to thinking today and want to get thoughts from all of you out there in scanner land... What can I do with this computer that would help improve my scanning experiance without me having to spend much money (preferably spending no money)? Keep in mind that I really only monitor my local PD, FD, and a few other agencies in the general area, plus IL State PD now and then, so I am not really interested in any of the fancy software that analyzes signals, etc. :D

Any and all ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Dan

tinslep

Premium Subscriber
I have been Apple only for many years and recently got back into scanners. It was so frustrating that Uniden and GRE only use Windows for programming. I spent several days trying to get a old Gateway XP laptop to work for programming a Uniden (not enough memory). Then I borrowed my daughters home build Vista desktop and finally had success. I ended up getting Parallels to run Vista on my Macbook Pro which has now solved my problem, but like you scanner programming is the only thing I use it for.
I would keep the PC just for programming since you never know when they may change around the local frequencies, unless you put Windows on your Mac.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I have been Apple only for many years and recently got back into scanners. It was so frustrating that Uniden and GRE only use Windows for programming. I spent several days trying to get a old Gateway XP laptop to work for programming a Uniden (not enough memory). Then I borrowed my daughters home build Vista desktop and finally had success. I ended up getting Parallels to run Vista on my Macbook Pro which has now solved my problem, but like you scanner programming is the only thing I use it for.
I would keep the PC just for programming since you never know when they may change around the local frequencies, unless you put Windows on your Mac.

Thanks for the input. I am definitely going to keep it for programming my scanners, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts of something else I could use it for instead of having it just sit around all the rest of the time.

Merry Christmas!

Dan

n0nhp

Start playing with other parts of the spectrum with an SDR, from the low end of a RTL to a high end WinRadio or the like.

Bruce

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Start playing with other parts of the spectrum with an SDR, from the low end of a RTL to a high end WinRadio or the like.

Bruce

What do you mean by "playing with other parts of the spectrum"? Like I said, most of what I do is scanning my local PubSafety and that's about it so I am not real experienced in the rest of the stuff... Can you dumb it down a little for me. :D

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.