• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

what would you do

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

ok i have been thinking about this for a little now, with gas prices going higher and higher everyday, what would you do to fix it. some people say more oil is the way to fix the prices, while some say that no matter the supply it is going to go up. i personally believe that the more oil there is, the lower the price.
so now its your decision, what would you to fix gas prices

mastr

Its a moot point. Either way oil companies win, if the nation as a whole reduces consumption, oil companies will simply increase the price to make up for "lost" revenue. If we blindly continue to consume more and more, then profits will continue to break records anyway.

In other words, if there is a big demand for your product, raise the price and make a fortune.

If demand falls off, raise the price, by making more on the portion you do sell, make a fortune.

burner50

The Third Variable
lakekid313 said:
ok i have been thinking about this for a little now, with gas prices going higher and higher everyday, what would you do to fix it. some people say more oil is the way to fix the prices, while some say that no matter the supply it is going to go up. i personally believe that the more oil there is, the lower the price.
so now its your decision, what would you to fix gas prices
I'm going to try and do this without getting into politics...

You are correct. It is simple supply and demand. A gas tax holiday will do absoulutely nothing. Prices goes down, demand goes up, supply goes down, prices go up... and eventually they're gonna have to tag the tax back on to it...

IMO The answer is dipping into our growing national oil reserves and drilling ANWR. Having a president that is hevily invested in the oil business is not helping anything. (not political, just a simple fact).

It is partially the oil companies faults as they're not letting their refineries produce at full capacity and partially the saudis fault for not pumping more as demand goes up...

I'm not against turning a profit, but these oil companies making record profits while gouging america is ridiculous, even if they have maintained the same profit margin...

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
Oil speculators control a large chunk of the price of oil, not the Arabs or oil companies...yes the Arabs and oil companies benefit HUGELY from the high prices, but it is the speculators that influence the price the most. Google it and do a little research...it will piss you off when you find out how much control they have.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
There are a number of things the new administration can do:

1. Provide more funding to increase the capacity of the nation's public transit systems. More people would ride the bus or the train if it ran more frequently and to more places.

2. Provide incentives to large corporations where 30% or more of their office workers telecommute 32 or more hours per week. How much money would you save per week if you worked from home? Imagine the freeway at rush hour actually moving at freeway speeds. Imagine rush hour being the time of day everyone turns on their computers resulting in a slight slowdown in internet connectivity? That's a rush hour I can live with! :)

3. Seek alternative sources for foreign oil beyond OPEC nations and the middle east (Canada, Russia, etc). OPEC can constrain supply to prop up prices all they want. We would just buy elsewhere.

4. Continue to provide and if possible, expand upon grants and federal funding for alternative fuel research to further reduce oil dependance. What if you could power your car with tap water instead of gasoline? The technology, while still in it's infancy, does exist! See: http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/watercar/h20car2.htm

Now as for what would *I* do? I'm doing it. I ride the bus instead of drive. :D Not only do I save plenty of $$$ on gas but I can even work on the bus while commuting and shorten my time in the office by a couple of hours each day if I wish - or bill for the additional time and get extra money! Ah the joy of being a contractor. :lol:

-AZ

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Gas prices 2008

What would I do? - You mean if I were President of the USA? All I will post here is that it would be something that is pretty much NOT popular with everyone. But here is a different view from what has been posted so far...

I believe that one of the best things happening on this planet right now is the fact that fuel prices are going up. Yes, I think it is a good thing. We should have never been burning this stuff - at least at the quantities we do every day - in the first place.

We formed this country, and expanded it from coast to coast w/o burning any of this stuff. Our skies were blue and our air was clean. When we started to burn this stuff, it wasn't so much of an issue as it is today because the population here, and for that matter on the entire planet, was a fraction of what it is today. In other words, doing something in small quantities that might be bad can usually go unnoticed, but once everyone does it, it becomes a major issue. Whether or not you believe in global warming, the fact is that we now have smog and bad air we didn't have just a few decades ago.

Burning coal is no better. Burning bio-fuels, while they don't produce as much pollutants, is cleaner; but the processes currently used to extract energy from them is not a solution. Hybrid vehicles still burn gas.

The "problem" is that companies all want to "sell" us energy. The fact is, if we were all smart engineers we would all be capturing our energy for free from the elements (typically the sun and the wind), although that is not practical for all people even if they want to.

SCPD

burner50 said:
I'm going to try and do this without getting into politics...

You are correct. It is simple supply and demand. A gas tax holiday will do absoulutely nothing. Prices goes down, demand goes up, supply goes down, prices go up... and eventually they're gonna have to tag the tax back on to it...

IMO The answer is dipping into our growing national oil reserves and drilling ANWR. Having a president that is hevily invested in the oil business is not helping anything. (not political, just a simple fact).

It is partially the oil companies faults as they're not letting their refineries produce at full capacity and partially the saudis fault for not pumping more as demand goes up...

I'm not against turning a profit, but these oil companies making record profits while gouging america is ridiculous, even if they have maintained the same profit margin...
I near agree with what your saying. i totally believe that we should drill ANWR, the total are is over a million acres, if we use 2000 of it, and leave very little environmental foot print, why not. i do believe that it is a supply and demand issue, and by getting our own national oil, we can make to prices go down drastically

Go-24

I say it has nothing at all to do with actual supply and demand! Its nothing but a damn market game - so what I would do is take it off the market and SET the price. That would prevent commodity traders / eg the companies from setting their own prices by buying, selling, sharing and screwing with the market.

So solution - screw the futures trading game - a barrel of crude now goes for $40 a barrel - set in stone for no less than 1 year while a better game plan is devised.

That would immediately solve the price gouging in the food commodities as well - in addition to any other company who is jacking prices due to high fuel / oil cost.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Ofec

lakekid313 said:
I near agree with what your saying. i totally believe that we should drill ANWR, the total are is over a million acres, if we use 2000 of it, and leave very little environmental foot print, why not. i do believe that it is a supply and demand issue, and by getting our own national oil, we can make to prices go down drastically
What we could get from ANWR is a SMALL percentage of what we use. In addition, it would take several years before oil harvested there would get into the system. One problem with the supply and demand issue is that the USA is no longer the only country with a huge appetite for oil. And since the supply in the world is limited and can not keep up with demand, the prices must go up. When our consumption goes down (something I highly doubt will ever happen), only then will the prices drop.

My dad has always had a different attitude regarding this issue. He asks, what do you think has more value - crude oil or the food (rice) we grow? Some people will pick one over the other. I don't know about you, but to me food is far more valuable. It is just we do not have an "organization of food exporting countries".

SAR923

We have plenty of oil. What we lack is refining capacity so drilling or importing more oil will have almost no effect on oil prices.

This will be the most upopular post here. Leave oil prices alone and let gas prices rise to the point that demand falls off precipitously. Oil prices are built on a house of cards due to speculation and any significant drop in oil will lead speculators to liquidated their positions and oil prices will fall off a cliff. It's happened many times before (anyone remember the Hunt Brothers and silver in 1979?) and it will happen again if the government just stays out of it and lets the market adjust itself.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You can't fix prices, the only thing you can fix is how you spend your money. You can't change the world but you can change yourself; adapt or die, it's evolution.

"...if the government just stays out of it and lets the market adjust itself."

Choking smoker don't you know the joker laughs at you?
Hee hee hee ha ha ha ho ho ho!

Last edited:

burner50

The Third Variable
AZScanner said:
1. Provide more funding to increase the capacity of the nation's public transit systems. More people would ride the bus or the train if it ran more frequently and to more places.
Thats not a viable option for everybody, specifically me... I have strict time constraints and not possible to telecommute

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
People saying that we have to reduce consumption have bought Bush's bogus crap hook, line, and sinker. The rate of consumption is fixed. If you reduce your consumption, then it is just more oil that can be sold to china or india. Their price will reduce, ours goes up. Reject the peak oil balony.

AZScanner

burner50 said:
Thats not a viable option for everybody, specifically me... I have strict time constraints and not possible to telecommute
Well, what if the bus ran every 10 minutes and ran 24 hours a day 7 days a week? Would you still not be able to use it? Unless you live out in the boonies, I seriously doubt it wouldn't work for you. But even so, if even just 25% of people who currently drive rode the bus, we'd all enjoy the benefits of cleaner air, less traffic and lower prices at the pump.

Besides, commuting on the bus is actually pretty nice. Not only is it cheaper, but instead of dealing with idiot drivers I can use my commute time to get some extra sleep, catch up on work, or just cruise the web (like I'm doing right now, from the bus :D) Try that while driving and you'll crash into the guy in front of ya!

-AZ

AZScanner

DanTSX said:
People saying that we have to reduce consumption have bought Bush's bogus crap hook, line, and sinker. The rate of consumption is fixed. If you reduce your consumption, then it is just more oil that can be sold to china or india. Their price will reduce, ours goes up. Reject the peak oil balony.
Dan, I think you're missing the point of "reducing consumption". I don't personally care about everyone else's consumption. I care about mine, because I have to pay for that. It's my money, I can choose whether to line Big Oil's pockets with it or not. I choose not. As for more oil going to India or China, fine! They can have it, and the high price that goes with it.

You are partially right though as for the price. Since oil is traded in US dollars, a weak dollar means the US is paying more for a barrel of oil than China or India who has a bit of a cushion thanks to the relative strength of their currency compared to the dollar. However, as global demand increases and prices continue to rise, it will have the same trickle down effect on their economies it has had on ours, weakening their currency as well. When that happens, demand will drop off at the global level (it will have to, not everyone would be able to afford $10 or $15 per gallon gas, right?) and the bubble will burst. Once that happens prices will fall. But the days of $2 a gallon gas are gone forever. I expect prices to peak around $6 a gallon (maybe 7) and then fall back down to a more reasonable $3 or 4 over the next couple of years. At that point, demand will start to grow again and we'll repeat the cycle.

Another fun thought is this: Eventually we'll run out. When that starts to happen and wells start drying up $10 a gallon gas will be a real bargain. :lol:

-AZ

hoser147

Pretty cool E-man. The best you can do now is just combine trips to one if possible. Its great to see that people are responding to this and looking at other alternative fuels and vehicles, time will tell. Seems like Rail traffic is picking up some and hopefully will continue. Its just hard to bite the bullet on alot of these things when you know other countries are doing nothing, as far a pollution, they are in it for the money and power. The US cant do it alone. The last fuel crunch did nothing but raise the prices,and everyone adapted to it. Im sure this one will do the same, but atleast other means are being studied and some coming to fruitation...........Only time will tell..............Hoser

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
GreatLakes said:
That's pretty cool! My only concern is what would be the cost on your electric bill to re-charge those batteries all the time? Then of course they'd start raising the cost of electricity due to increased demand.
Zap is claiming @ .50 cents to recharge, 3-4 cents per mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.