What you want in a Scanner Recorder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am in the process of reviving an old project (Scanner Force) and I am writing code that I will be using in a freeware project that will record local audio and play it back (will play back the input) and record the audio to an MP3 (hopefully in the future I can include more formats).

It is my current goal to implement a playback function and even allow audio to be recorded x seconds back (similar to a DVR). What I am looking to find out is what features you would find valuable. I currently can not read scanner outputs but I plan to look into that in the future (both Uniden and GRE). I plan to have a freeware version and the paid upgrade will be included in the new project that will play streams and (hopefully) provide the same functionality and features.

Last edited:

Livewire3286

Im surprised no one has commented - I dont come here often but your thread did catch my eye. I would be very interested in a replay option. All to often I catch something off to the side as I am watching tv, cleaning house and need to back up just a little to hear what is going on. I run a fan page with over 13,000 fans and it is important to go back and hear what was said real quick.

While I havent played with scanner recorders much and I probably need to - I would like to see the dvr playback, time stamp and maybe an auto delete archive after so much space has been reached so we can just keep it running and not worry about filling up a hard drive.

Please keep me aprised if you get anywhere.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the reply. Once my day time programming job slows down, this will be one of the top projects I work on and all of your suggestions are good ones! I was also surprised that nobody commented but I guess that isn't something that I can control. Thanks for your reply!

thebull

Premium Subscriber
Ditto

I'm interested in recording my PSR 600 Or PSR 400 scanners to a computer file.
MP3 or Wav file, A lot of the time when I'm not around some good stuff goes on.
To record them only when the scweltch is broken.
I use Arc pro 500 sometimes to do that, which does a good job. Sometimes I get a lot of files with different departments, example police and fire mixed in there which gets confustion sometimes.
I wish I was telented like you, it would be nice to make a program to do what you want it to do.
I think your not getting more responses is because a lot of people think some of these scanners are obsolete and they are waiting for new scanners to come out. As for me if it's not broke don't fix it. As long as my scanners work I think I will always have something to listen to on it wether it's the local business down the street or hams.
More power to you.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for your reply. Squelch is going to be a main feature for the program. It will start out with a VOX Squelch until I can get scanner protocols programmed so it can be read from the scanner.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

pgnsucks

Thanks for the reply. Once my day time programming job slows down, this will be one of the top projects I work on and all of your suggestions are good ones! I was also surprised that nobody commented but I guess that isn't something that I can control. Thanks for your reply!

I want Logging and recording and have numerous Uniden & GRE scanners. Right now I have from the 895XLT to 396XLT Uniden and GRE PSR 500 & 800.

Please consider not forgetting about the older scanners. Just this last week I am thinking of getting with Win500 for just my GRE500 because of the logging feature.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The audio recorder would need some sort of VOX function with memory to eliminate the blank spots between transmissions. The memory is needed so that when the VOX detects audio, it can back up a number of milliseconds to catch the start of the audio.

The audio recorder would also need time stamping so that you can tell when (time of day) the audio was recorded.

The old Scanner Recorder Pro program pretty much had the audio recording functions nailed, but the author has disappeared so the program is now "ghost ware".

SCPD

QRT
The audio recorder would need some sort of VOX function with memory to eliminate the blank spots between transmissions. The memory is needed so that when the VOX detects audio, it can back up a number of milliseconds to catch the start of the audio.

The audio recorder would also need time stamping so that you can tell when (time of day) the audio was recorded.

The old Scanner Recorder Pro program pretty much had the audio recording functions nailed, but the author has disappeared so the program is now "ghost ware".
I agree. Sounds do-able with the old ScannerForce program I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.