Whatever happened to quality control???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike36507

It has been a few years since I purchased a new scanner. In the past 3 weeks I have bought 2 different scanners, 1 Uniden BCD436HP and a Whistler TRX-1. I have always been a Uniden fan because of their quality. But the 436 I had to return to Amazon because the display decided after 2 weeks that it didn't want to work and then today I received a TRX-1 and half the buttons do not work. So I'm just wondering what has happened to the QC with companies today. It's really frustrating having to keep returning items because the manufacturer isn't producing quality products. Surely I can't be the only one who has noticed this.

Rant over...lol

jpm

Quality control assurance starts with the person performing the job right. I myself has a title as QA Technician.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I remember Quality going in before the Name goes out! Does anyone remember that phrase? ...Oops telling my age lol. :)73, n9zas

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Use caution buying scanners from Amazon. They have a history of selling used/defective units as new.
Yeah, they must have taken pointers from Fleabay sellers. :wink: 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
I've bought at least a half a dozen scanners from ebay sellers without any issues. Ebay isn't the actual seller they just provide the site, and they have a money back guarantee.
Ok, well I will Never allow Fleabay to learn of my existence, none the less. I've seen far more fleabay failures than I have seen on Amazon. 73, n9zas

Ed6698

I only buy scanners from reputable place, Ham Station is where I bought my last one. Imo Amazon, Ebay,etc are not reputable places for scanner purchases. I have never had to return or exchange a radio for a defect.

gewecke

Banned
I only buy scanners from reputable place, Ham Station is where I bought my last one. Imo Amazon, Ebay,etc are not reputable places for scanner purchases. I have never had to return or exchange a radio for a defect.
Yep, I agree. The last new purchase I made was from R &L electronics I think. 73, n9zas

gmkelm

Premium Subscriber
Use caution buying scanners from Amazon. They have a history of selling used/defective units as new.

I respectively disagree with your general statement about Amazon.

There are three kinds of sellers on Amazon: Amazon, Sellers fulfilled by Amazon and Sellers. I make it a point only to deal directly with Amazon or Sellers fulfilled by Amazon. I have never had a problem with being sold used, repackaged or intentionally defective merchandise. Defective merchandise has always been promptly replaced or refunded.

Both of my scanners were purchased from Amazon and both were factory fresh and in working order.

Mark - K0GMK

eaf1956

Feed Provider

Ditto, But only cause it is 5 minutes away! LOL Not really Jeff does a great job! Hi Hi Jeff

kmi8dy

it's actually " the quality go's in, before the name go's on." i think the product was timex watches, or ford motor company. not sure, but almost. can hear the guy's voice right now. george herlihy or was it john cameron swayze. the older you get, the more those three little words kind of sneak in, " or was it ".

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
it's actually " the quality go's in, before the name go's on." i think the product was timex watches, or ford motor company. not sure, but almost. can hear the guy's voice right now. george herlahe.

Pretty sure it was Zenith...but I could be wrong.

gewecke

Banned
Pretty sure it was Zenith...but I could be wrong.
Ding ding! You got it. Yep, all through my teenage years I remember hearing that, growing up! Ah I miss the days when goods were built like tanks, and built right here in the USA. Good job remembering his name too! That part escaped me. :). 73, n9zas

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Timex was (It takes a licking and keeps on ticking)
Yep, that one too! In fact I still have two good Time watches, and a Timex alarm clock. I've Punched the clock because it woke me up on my day off a few times, its still ticking! :). 73, n9zas

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I respectfully disagree with Mark in post #12 and agree with W8RMH in post #4. I don't believe Amazon is purposely sending out bad stuff, but I bought a couple of Whistler scanners from them (1040 and 1065) about a year ago and they were beat up, scratched, and the manuals with both had been underlined with a red marker.
I'm sure someone returned those, Amazon just put them in the wrong bin, and out they went to me. Also some reports on RRDB a while back of people buying new scanners and getting 10 year old scanners in the box. Obviously, someone switched them, returned the old scanner, and out they went again.
Do you think the people at Amazon know the difference between a BCD536HP and BC780XLT, or between a TRX-2 and BCD996T. I highly doubt it. I suspect the 436HP and TRX-1 that Mike (OP) have (or had) belonged to someone else, a problem was noted, they were returned, and Amazon put them in the wrong bin.
Who knows these days, maybe Amazon sends the same stuff out two or three times, and if it comes back the 2nd or 3rd time, then it goes in the defective bin.
Anyway, Amazon is a great source for all kinds of things, especially connectors, USB cables, serial port adapters, etc, that you can't seem to find these days at any consumer electronic stores, the few that are left. But a $500 dollar scanner, forget it. The Ham Station, HRO, Scanner Master, or any other known dealer is a much better bet, even if the cost is a bit higher.
I like the Ham Station because Jeff is into scanners and shares the same enthusiasm for scanning as many on these forums. If you have a problem with Scanner Master, Rich Carlson N9JIG will help you out. No one at Amazon is going to know diddly-squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.