What's mobile scanner are people using in Winnipeg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howwon

Premium Subscriber
What is everyone in Winnipeg, using as their mobile (handheld) scanner?
Anything worth looking at @The Source?

SCPD

QRT
Last time I was at the Source, I think that they had a Nascar scanner. So really not much good going there.

For your area of the country I would recommend any of about 4 popular scanners. On the Uniden side the 396T / 396XT or GRE PSR 500 / 800.
All are very popular.

howwon

Premium Subscriber
Last time I was at the Source, I think that they had a Nascar scanner. So really not much good going there.

For your area of the country I would recommend any of about 4 popular scanners. On the Uniden side the 396T / 396XT or GRE PSR 500 / 800.
All are very popular.

edmscan, thank you very much for your reply. There are a lot of scanners out there and I did not know where to start.

cheers

scnnr

edmscan, thank you very much for your reply. There are a lot of scanners out there and I did not know where to start.

cheers

I'm in Winnipeg and when I am out and about I take my PSR-500 with me. Works great for Winnipeg and all around the province. Since WPS is close to going encrypted full time I wouldn't recommend spending around $500 on a digital scanner anymore. You can get by nicely with a PSR-300 for monitoring the police right now along with the Winnipeg Fire/Paramedics and Rural EMS

I have both scanners and both are great scanners. I ordered mine from this site here in Canada.

http://tinyurl.com/5tjmkx8

Nap

Since WPS is close to going encrypted full time I wouldn't recommend spending around $500 on a digital scanner anymore.

Good point. BTW the latest GRE analog scanner (PSR 310) is available from amazon.ca

Nap.

Nap

. I wouldn't mind having it just for the case to swap out and put it on my psr 500.. Same case.

I remember reading about the 310 having a different display (larger?), I cannot find now that particular info but there's this thread here mentioning it too:

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/200536-gre-psr-310-good-bad-ugly.html

so maybe a comparison of 500 and 310 pics at same scale could show if the display windows are the same size.

Anyway I have the 310 and I'm happy with it, the only thing is that the stock antenna doesn't work well at lower frequencies so if you want to listen to let's say CB radio you need to replace the antenna with a bigger one.

Nap.

scnnr

Another good idea is to go to YouTube and do a search for the GRE-310 or any other scanner you might be interested in. You will find tons of short videos on them in operation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.