• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What's the use of a DTR-550?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needairtime

I acquired a DTR-550 at a hamfest cheaply as I thought it could be interesting to figure out what it could do. So far I found it runs on 900MHz ISM band digital. It does 1W, and looks like a license-by-type.

Well, that's all fun and great, but I don't have a cable or the keyboard, or another 900MHz digital radio to play with. What can I do with these radios? I do have a 900MHz AT&T digital POTS cordless but I highly doubt I could snoop on that phone...

Sorry for those who are thinking about selling these after the DTR-700 came out ... ?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They are license-free business radios. You will need another DTR-550, or other capable DTR radio to use it. Won't work with anything else. Uses frequency hopping technology.

Great radios for 350,000 square feet / 30 floors. I've used them for special ops, very secure. You can get a new one for less than $300.

Last edited:

needairtime

So these are not compatible with anything other than another Motorola DTR-xxx? Sounds like a dud to me I guess (for ham use), oh well, wonder if I should part it or hold onto it in case I chance upon another...

It seems to work however, I did not try using it fearing it needed an FCC license, but looks not.

N4KVE

Some of the local event venues [gun shows, antique shows] use them. They work well. The 2 huge benefits are no FCC license needed, & impossible to listen to unless you have another unit programmed exactly the same, due to frequency hopping technology.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
So these are not compatible with anything other than another Motorola DTR-xxx? Sounds like a dud to me I guess (for ham use), oh well, wonder if I should part it or hold onto it in case I chance upon another...

It seems to work however, I did not try using it fearing it needed an FCC license, but looks not.

They're absolutely amazing radios, however, you cannot use them for ham use. Unless you have another DTR or DLR radio, it isn't going to be of any real use to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.