• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

What's your favorite oil additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I own two vehicles; a 2001 Toyota Tacoma doublecab Limited with the v6, and a 2016 Lexus RX350 also with the v6. The RX takes full synthetic so I don't use additives in that one. But the Tacoma, I've been adding this stuff called "MOC Oil Conditioner" since I bought it new in '01. Toyota carried it back then but not any more. So I have been buying it wholesale right from MOC since then, by the dozen. Placebo...maybe. But I use it faithfully with every oil change of 3500 miles. Toyota changes my oil, I add the bottle myself afterward.

I too use 100% synthetic oil so I don't use additives.
I was always told that such products aren't necessary these days as long as you change your oil at regular intervals but may have been of some benefit years ago before the improved motor oils were widely available.

No oil additives here. With modern oils, most of that stuff is a gimmick and usually a waste of money. Besides, with the new variable value timing engines (VVT), and other designs, I wouldn't recommend ANY additives. New motors are specifically designed to run on a certain type and viscosity oil. That's partially due to small passageways that need to flow the proper amount of oil, and pressure.

Adding additives can change the characteristics of the oil.

DJ11DLN

Premium Subscriber
I used to get GM Oil Supplement from the local stealership when I had a stuck or noisy lifter. It always cleared it up and the problem didn't come back for a long time. Haven't had that trouble in many years, I don't know if they even make it anymore. I don't use anything these days, just buy the best quality conventional oil I can find and don't skimp on change intervals.

Alain

Premium Subscriber
Been using "SeaFoam" in my Honda generator and in my two, Justrite [Type II] 5 gallon [storage] cans for quite a while now. Never had a problem with gas going flat or water.

flythunderbird

Premium Subscriber
I use Motorcraft synthetic blend in my truck, so no additives. However, many years ago I did use RESTORE Engine Restorer in a used car with a lot of miles on it, and it did make a difference.

Years ago we would put brake fluid in the petrol so it smelt like you were using Castrol R oil, never actually used Castrol R, as you had to remove all traces of mineral oil first, and it had to be changed each time bike was used, and super expensive, today with synthetic oils the era of Castrol R is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.