• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

What's Your Favorite Troll Post?

Greetings Fellow Lodge Members!

Post your fav-o-rite troll posts here. If you don't have one, then feel free to make one up!

I'll start with a recent gem from "Devalina", I believe it was:

"I'd like to ask you guys if am I allowed,if I manage to add a microphone to my scanner,to talk on 123.45 frequency?"

Have fun, y'all!

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Jimru, thanks for bringing that troll up.

I found it doing a search and I'll add a hyperlink shortly. But that troll had only one post and is not listed in the 'Members List', which by itself is strange. (I've seen a few threads started like that and never hear from that member again; this gives me a stronge belief that those trolls are actually moderators or some such that have the ability to use vBullentine controls.) But the strangest thing is that one member who just went off the deep end about "...not transmitting..." on the Ham bands!

http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-general-discussion/242847-123-45-a.html

Then there was the troll who must of had a haunted house because his electronics would start/stop, etc. without his doing.

http://forums.radioreference.com/electronics/221952-calling-all-detectives.html

He posted 8 times on the first page alone and it never showed up as a post count.
Maybe some others will step in and give a few more examples as you're asking for.

Hi RafDav!

Good stuff! In the case of the member who took "Devalina" seriously, that stuff is every bit as amusing as the OP.

I feel that the other two examples, the one with garage door, car alarms and other devices going off and the supposedly young lady that was hearing her name coming out of electrical motors could easily be bored moderators, perhaps.

Would that account for the missing post counts? Are post counts something that any poster can manipulate, or only admin folks?

I was amused by both the "serious" replies (members trying to help) and the goofball replies, in each case. I guess Trolls get off on responses the same way jammers do on the ham bands; they thrive on the responses. Here in NYC, there is a malicious jammer on a few repeaters and he tries to disrupt our weekly ARES net, but we ignore him totally and he gets bored and goes away eventually. However, there are some hams at other times that engage this guy and it just snowballs. It's NOT amusing in this case, just childish.

Thanks for the post!

Jim

Hey Jimru, same as you,

I enjoy reading some of the stuff that trolls post. Also agree with you on jammers; usually they just give up and go away if they can not get trouble started. Like you posted, generally just ignore them and they leave. Because we live in an age of more people, electronics, we have jammers because they have childish mentality.
Something else about this forum with many members; we have those that post with witty remarks. I have no problem with these people, most of the time I enjoy reading what they have to write. One member that takes the award is Warren (KB2VXA). He's not a smarta#$ as some like to think, but a person who likes to make a point by injecting humor or intellectual statements.
Gotta get back and search some more for trolls and their postings; when I find 'em, rest assured they'll be listed in your thread!!! lol

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

There was this post don't know if it was a troll or not but I think it started out with this member saying that someone was jamming frequencies and impersonating an officer and then the officer impersonators "relative" chimed in followed by the impersonator himself and it went up to 100 plus posts, also the impersonator was banned from a ton of other forums and what not, I've looked and looked but I was unable to retrieve that thread. If anyone remembers it or has a like please post it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"One member that takes the award is Warren (KB2VXA). He's not a smarta#$ as some like to think, but a person who likes to make a point by injecting humor or intellectual statements."

HUH?

Smarta$$:
1) A person who, by means of purpsose or not, uses sarcasm to have a laugh.
2) Someone who possesses superior intellect and wit and understands the reason behind and the purpose for satire in life.
3) A person who persistanly uses sarcasm as a means of communication.
4) A donkey of unusual intelligence.

Now which do you think fits me best? (Do I really need to ask?)

Hi Warren,

I don't know you, and so won't hazard a guess (I would opt for the most flattering daffynition if I had to), but welcome!

Got any good troll posts that come to mind? I'm re-reading the ones that RafDav posted. I can almost believe that the YL hearing voices in her fridge motor could have been either a troll or a gen-u-wine wacko.

Jim

Firstly, to address Warren's post:

Sir, by no means are you number 3. In reading many of your posts, you just ain't that way. Number 2 fits you rather well, you have a life that you enjoy. Intelligence and wit is a stronge suit that you have. Number 1, sometimes you just let it hang out and have a laugh at what some one posted; not bad at all, if we can not see humor in the many things people say or write, then we, the indivual is doomed to a life of boredom. Number 4, yeah there's times someone thought that!!! lol
Overall, Warren has posted to help some one understand something. He just places it in a song, title, or quote and let's it be at that.
Jim, that YL that heard voices coming from that motor, well, I don't think she was a "...troll or a gen-u-wine wacko." There was a study once done on the sounds that different apparatus made and how they could be construed to mimic words. (I know some one out there is gonna say, "man he's full of it...", but I just can not find the website for that info.)
After returning from uptown in a while, I hope to fing at least one more troll post. Also hope others will chime in with their findings too.

Hi Raf,

If indeed that woman was hearing things that sounded like voices, emanating from various motors, she would, it seems to me, hear them in other devices outside of her home.

I dunno. It could also be a combination of her mental state and the phenomenon that you mention.

Or, it's a troll!

Best,
Jim

This new one is now my favorite:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...nnermaster-questionable-best.html#post1798713

"I received a BCD396XT as a birthday gift this past March 2012...Please note that this unit was purchased from HRO not Scannermaster just to put this into context...Not having a PC at home to use the CD for programming instructions I contacted Scannermaster by phone to inquire about getting hardcopy instructions for the BCD396XT and was told it didn't come with any..."

Well, you know the rest.

Yes, that one is really something!

I had to make a snide post directed to that postor. You know, we know, but some people just DON'T know diddly squat what common sense is! Thanks RadioDaze for bringing that one to the table.
Jimru there? (I HAD to write that!lol) What you think maybe broadedening the scope of this thread. Like some people just don't use good ol' common sense! RadioDaze brought that one up and it just makes you shake your head, (not RadioDaze.)

The thing is, I think it IS a troll post. See my additional comments in that thread. I think someone should contact Scannermaster and find out if that guy ACTUALLY called them.

That being said, there are many things I say that in fact DO leave folks shaking their heads. ;)

http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...nnermaster-questionable-best.html#post1798713

"I received a BCD396XT as a birthday gift this past March 2012...Please note that this unit was purchased from HRO not Scannermaster just to put this into context...Not having a PC at home to use the CD for programming instructions I contacted Scannermaster by phone to inquire about getting hardcopy instructions for the BCD396XT and was told it didn't come with any..."

Well, you know the rest.
RadioDaze, although it may not be a troll, it might as well be! Read the whole thread, yikes!

I dunno, but there sure enough are some strange ducks in this hobby. I could include myself, very easily...

Btw, I'm having a lot of fun with the "Three Word Story" thread. Your contributions are priceless!

Best,
Jim

Here's a good one:

"I want exact frequency #'s for mpls. Police/fire!! I just payed the:"premium membership price" and i'm getting nothing but f-ing circles!!"

The thread has been closed, it is in the
Database Discussion Forum in Site Admin.

Classic!

Not sure how to transfer links to forums yet, btw.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
WHAAAT WHAAAAT WHAAAT WHAAAT WHAAAAAAA???!!!

Ah, just a crappy Joe Flynn (McHale's Navy) imitation. I wandered off for a few posts, when I started reading where I left off I was AMAZED some of you don't have the GUTS to go for number 4! You disappoint me being so politically correct and all... HARUMPH! (Not to be confused with Pahrump, Nevada former home of Art Bell.) Now I'm cheesed off Limburger but I'll forgive you.

Eh, I've made my usual off the wall comments in quite a few troll threads but not giving them much thought I tend to forget where to find them, sorry 'bout that Chief. Oh wait a minute, somebody resurrected the "calling all detectives" thread and I bombed it again, WTH.

Not a thread but an experience along those lines, back in my CB days I had the pleasure of living next door to a very nice lady, lovable but not very bright. We were talking in her kitchen one day when she mentioned she could hear me talking on her oven. (Yeah, one of those.) I narrowed it down to only happening when she was using it and she couldn't make out what I was saying but she was sure it was my CB. Rather puzzled and knowing she was hearing something (But what?) I turned on the oven and listened, nothing, that is until she said I forgot to set the timer. Now you see it coming, yeah, we heard a strange buzzing/grinding/whirring sound... YES! THAT'S IT! Mutual conclusion: This thing needs a new motor.

One more before I leave, in another place I put up a home made VHF ground plane and the very next day another lady next door shows up, an even dimmer bulb than the last. At this point I had sold my CB stuff, taken down the antenna and replaced it with the ground plane for my scanner. She's screaming and squawking about TVI, I show her the scanner and explain its purpose... now I'm looking for my screw driver in preparation of performing a little brain salad surgery. Here's the kicker, turns out it's an old beat to crap B&W set >in the basement< with (get this) RABBIT EARS!

OUT! OUT! OOOUUUUUUT!!!

"Seriously, though, it's alarming that scanners are falling into the hands of so many poorly-educated people."

It's always been that way, since RR came along they're making their presence known.

"Making a bad name for us upstanding (usually) scanner heads!"

People walking around with scanners for heads tend to attract attention. It could be worse, you could be a motor head. Oh wait a minute, it IS worse! I thought Quack Quack insurance was bad but now I'm seeing motor heads in an auto parts store... HAAAALP!

"I'm prolly getting paranoid, but I'm beginning to think that "Saddletramp1200" is a troll...."

Give it time to pan out, I've seen nothing to indicate he's anything but honest... yet.