Wheatland County MotoTRBO (split from: MotoTRBO Systems Check-In Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Hum, why would they go to another system when the Province is looking at a Province wide system? I know that the entire EMS system needs reliant communications, but I'm getting a little tired of my tax money being spent to implement systems only to have them change in a couple of years. My money is not endless, and I would hope that all services would review their needs and what is available without listening to vendors sales pitches. I believe MotoTRBO is geared for business/security areas, but I'm still wondering why a complete county would switch now, with the prospects of a new system [? government funded] in a couple of years?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I myself wouldn't have gone with a new system yet. If I understand things right, though, the plan was already in motion prior to AFRRCS being announced, which is (may be) part of the reason it went through.

I also heard that the users were told that it was P25 compatible, which is, of course, untrue. Going with a P25 compatible system now would mean migration to, or piggybacking onto, the AFRRCS network would be easier later on.

There was/is a group called the Calgary Regional Partnership which is/was comprised of several municipalities around Calgary, as well as the city itself. Just before AFRRCS was announced, and I mean literally just before, the rumor is that the CRP was ready to put pen to paper to approve an expansion of the Calgary digital trunk radio system, sysid 753f, to cover the entire region. That was put off, obviously.

One thing to remember is that AFRRCS is not a mandatory system. First responder groups won't HAVE to go to it. I would suspect that most will, but there's nothing that says that agencies have to use AFRRCS. You may still see, for example, Yellowhead County's MPT1327 system, or Wheatland's new MotoTRBO network, optionally with links to connect it to AFRRCS. The province has said it doesn't want to put TOO many "links" in the network, meaning (in my opinion) that it's trying to dissuade the creation of a network of small, non-interoperable networks - since one of the main goals of AFRRCS is to enable interoperability.

To sum up, I don't know why Wheatland went digital, especially not now, and with the system they chose. I know that it wouldn't have been my choice, had I been the one to make it. In fact, my department's direction right now is to keep partnering with the City of Calgary, and buying radios compatible with their system - which are, in many cases, fully compatible with the proposed P25 700MHz provincial system as well.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Jay, not sure why this second string on the same subject got created. You may have done it on purpose, or I may have done something wrong. I believe you know how to migrate it to your first thread on this subject if needed.

I couldn't agree more with you as it seems all the EMS services west of Calgary are tied into Calgary. As well, services to the east up to Wheatland County, as you know, are linked to Calgary.

One question I have regarding Digital [any manufacturers] that you may have more experience with: Analog systems may not be as efficient or as long distanced, but when you are on the fringe, at least you may be able to pick out enough words to make sense out of what is being transmitted. With digital, I believe, in fringe areas [ie: basements, valleys] the signal is not decoded properly and less "words" are able to be "picked out". Would this not make digital a little less confident than analogue. I know digital signals are supposed to be transmitted further, but would suspect that more "repeaters" would still be required for fringe areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.