When is the FCC database updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticRavenVA

Question, does anyone know how often Hourly/Daily/Nightly the FCC database is updated with new call signs/licenses?

Yes, I'm chomping at the bit waiting for my license to appear, and pretty sure querying the DB every 20 min doesn't make it appear any faster, but it can't hurt right?

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
The FCC Database is updated every day. If you took the test then check every evening. It takes about 1 week if you already have a FRN number. Maybe 10 days to 2 weeks if this is your first license.

ecps92

I would guess regularly.
Just did a Search for todays date and see 9 Grants just for today.

As for Amateur, that also depends on when your Examiner actually sent in the information
Question, does anyone know how often Hourly/Daily/Nightly the FCC database is updated with new call signs/licenses?

Yes, I'm chomping at the bit waiting for my license to appear, and pretty sure querying the DB every 20 min doesn't make it appear any faster, but it can't hurt right?

TheSpaceMann

Can't wait to get on the air? Don't worry, they are usually pretty quick. :)

K7MEM

Most hams say that it takes about 18 days. Its been too long since I tested, so I don't have any recent knowledge. Part of the wait time is dependent on how quickly the VE submits the results. The sooner they submit, the sooner it gets processed.

How long have you been waiting? Is this just an license upgrade or a new license?

If this is an upgrade, you don't have to wait to use your new privileges. As long as you sign your call sign with "/AG" (as General) or "/AE" (as Extra), as the case may be. If this is a new license, well then, you don't have a call sign yet.

I believe the FCC database is updated daily. IMHO, checking every 20 minutes is a total waste of time.

Martin - K7MEM

nd5y

The FCC updates their own database overnight (around 2AM ET) after each business day. That means there are no updates on Sunday, Monday or the day after a federal holiday.

CelticRavenVA

We were told it takes about 4 business days, which is today. I'm hopeful for tomorrow, after 10 years of thinking about it, 4 months of studying and really trying to learn the information, what is a few more days right? Oh yeah horrible, cause I'm worse then my kids waiting for XMAS right now.

KD8DVR

It updates constantly throughout the day. As batches run, it updates....this is for amateur grants only. With ULS changes, this may be different now; but I know in the past couple years, as soon as a VE team did an upload, the license was there. If you test with w5yi or Laurel, they can immediately upload and people have their license in minutes.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Actually The FCC Web Site shuts down every night at 12:01 AM for updates and maintenance for two hours every day.
As others has said, when you get your license depends upon when the VEC processes the application.
5 years ago, it took 6 weeks for the VEC to process my license application - because the VE that sent in the info was computer illiterate and she made a mistake and the computer kicked it out, her email address was not right and no one thought to look physically for her telephone number, not that it mattered because she worked until 5 PM - the same time the FCC and Laurel VEC people goes home!

I finally got two telephone calls - after 5 PM on a Friday, one was from the FCC, explaining the situation and one from Florida from the Laurel VEC - apologizing for their ineptness..
Had I used my head, I would have requested that they in return for screwing up my application for an unusually long period of time, could have given me a better sequential call sign.
Mine sucked so bad, I hurried up and upgraded to Amateur Extra - because she screwed up my application when I got my General and did not see that I checked the box asking for a new call sign when I upgraded to General. After all - who wants a stupid Technician Class Call sign?

What you should be doing, instead of hounding the FCC web site, looking for your call sign, is call Ham Radio Outlet or some other vendor and start buying REAL amateur radio equipment - NOT A WALKIE TALKIE AND NOT PLAYING HAM REPEATER!

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Use this time to BUY the General Class License Manual and start reading and studying to upgrade your license as soon as possible!
The Technician Class License Exam is a real joke, not much better then Mexico - where all you have to do is drive to Mexico City, fill out the application and pay $30.00 to get a license.

You really can't do much of anything until you upgrade to General, then at least you can get on the HF and jabber like a monkey in a tree!
My advice is to forget the CB radio jargon and forget about using Q terms and other lingo to make you appear as being knowledgeable and talk in plain English and act like a normal person!
The Technician Class License is an entry level license, it really doesn't prove anything or do anything for you except allow you to operate VHF = 10 meter equipment.

Take this time - while you are waiting for your call sign, to buy a very good UHF / VHF antenna, coax, an HF multi band antenna and a good HF radio.
Once you start spending some real money, you won't be in such a hurry to get on the air anymore.

You are going to need a good power supply, a good power supply should last you the rest of your life!
I would suggest an Astron RS 35M, I have several in my shack, along with antenna rotor controls and antenna tuners - that I never use!

CelticRavenVA

I've really thought about the last two comments from jnantennman, so I started studying for my general before my tech test actually happened. I have had some of that in place for months and looking forward to utilizing it. I can't say buying more equipment on frequencies I can't use and moving away from local repeaters for a new ham OP is the best suggestion but I take the heart of you post to heart and agree a lot of people think repeaters and QRP is maybe the end in getting their tech. However I've had good mentors, monitored them doing DX and have been plotting antenna and cables for months.

All that said, would the FCC just issue my license LOL.

k6cpo

The FCC Database is updated every day. If you took the test then check every evening. It takes about 1 week if you already have a FRN number. Maybe 10 days to 2 weeks if this is your first license.

Most hams say that it takes about 18 days. Its been too long since I tested, so I don't have any recent knowledge. Part of the wait time is dependent on how quickly the VE submits the results. The sooner they submit, the sooner it gets processed.

Martin - K7MEM

I'm a VE Team leader for the SANDARC VEC in San Diego and we routinely see call signs appear Monday morning after an exam administered the previous Saturday.

The FCC updates their own database overnight (around 2AM ET) after each business day. That means there are no updates on Sunday, Monday or the day after a federal holiday.

Not true. I submit results to my VEC on Sundays and the call signs are in the database the next day, Monday.

and received my license on the following Monday morning; 48 hours. As was posted, depends on when the VEC sends the info to the FCC.

How long it takes for call signs to appear in the database is dependent on how quickly the administering VE Team gets the results to their VEC and how long it takes the VEC to prepare and submit the batch file. (I'm assuming all 14 VECs submit via an electronic batch file.) Some VECs have their teams send in the information via Priority Mail and the larger VECs certainly have more records to process than the smaller ones.

My VEC organization is small and I'm able to scan the hard copies generated at the exam session and email them to my VEC within 24 hours of the session. Once the VEC has the results, it take no time for him to prepare and submit the batch file.

Actually The FCC Web Site shuts down every night at 12:01 AM for updates and maintenance for two hours every day.
As others has said, when you get your license depends upon when the VEC processes the application.
5 years ago, it took 6 weeks for the VEC to process my license application - because the VE that sent in the info was computer illiterate and she made a mistake and the computer kicked it out, her email address was not right and no one thought to look physically for her telephone number, not that it mattered because she worked until 5 PM - the same time the FCC and Laurel VEC people goes home!

I finally got two telephone calls - after 5 PM on a Friday, one was from the FCC, explaining the situation and one from Florida from the Laurel VEC - apologizing for their ineptness..
Had I used my head, I would have requested that they in return for screwing up my application for an unusually long period of time, could have given me a better sequential call sign.
Mine sucked so bad, I hurried up and upgraded to Amateur Extra - because she screwed up my application when I got my General and did not see that I checked the box asking for a new call sign when I upgraded to General. After all - who wants a stupid Technician Class Call sign?

What you should be doing, instead of hounding the FCC web site, looking for your call sign, is call Ham Radio Outlet or some other vendor and start buying REAL amateur radio equipment - NOT A WALKIE TALKIE AND NOT PLAYING HAM REPEATER!

There is nothing the VEC could have done about getting you a better call sign. Call signs are the exclusive domain of the FCC and the only way for you to get a more preferable one is to get a vanity call or do as you did and get the Extra Class 2X2.

I don't know about other call regions, but in California if you check the sequential call sign box on the 605, it will be ignored. The FCC won't process it because there are no call signs left for them to issue. Old, expired call signs are not recycled for sequential reissue. They are available as vanity calls, but that's all.

CelticRavenVA

I love learning about the process from all the efficient people, however I'm just sitting around still waiting. Don't get me wrong I do like the knowledge, however I swear this is worse then waiting for xmas when I was a kid. I only had to be good then, now I had to study hard, be good, and take the test after driving an hour to and from the testing location because it was the only game in town till February. Just saying I think I caused the overload crash on FCC site today checking again and again in hopes it would appear.

The local channels have been very active with several people I want to meet since everyone is on break/vacation, and it is just a daily kick in the balls it feels like. However all that venting out of the system, I'd like to thank everyone for the info, wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Oh and K6CPO, keep up the good work, I'm sure you meet lots of nice people being a VEC, and I'm sure at times it can be a very thankless job.

CelticRavenVA

So finally broke down and called ARRL, turns out the info didn't even get there till the 20th, My hopes of seeing this before xmas are kinda going down. Which sucks cause most of my xmas this year is based around HAM gear. I'm holding out for some xmas magic though maybe.

KD8DVR

OK well the amateur database is different then.
Laurel VE has been known to upload results and candidates have their calls before they leave the test session. Of course, it doesn't work like that on weekends. Yes...the amateur database is different. It will update all day as data come in.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

KD8DVR

Bear in mind also.... You can log onto the ULS and request a new sequential call sign any time you want. This is processed overnight. No need to use a VE. Your ULS account gives you full control of your license.

CelticRavenVA

Well I can answer a few questions now.

1. Yes it updates though the day. Mine appeared at about 2PM yesterday.

2. My Xmas magic appears to have come though for me!

3. I'm happy now.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.