Where Are The Best Places To Sell Scanners & Ham Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am giving some thought to selling some surplus gear. Where are the best places to sell used scanners & ham radios these days? I am not a big eBay guy because they seem to take a healthy fee for selling. Is Eham a good option? Facebook groups, etc?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I understand what you are saying about e-Bay, but I've never had an issue with their fees.

For the fee you get exposed to a much bigger market than you will with just about any other.

I've sold quite a few radios on e-Bay over the years, and I've been pleasantly surprised/shocked at what people have paid for some of the radios I've sold.

I sold a Yaesu FT-170 for more than I paid for it new. More than made up for e-Bay fees.
I sold an Icom 2200 for quite a bit more than I paid for it new, as in about $50 more than I paid.

I've sold a few older HT-1000's and the like and done well.

I've got a few other radios I'm thinking of selling and will probably use e-Bay.

K2NEC

Facebook groups are good. My friend and I have collectively had a lot of luck with them.

Another good place is hamfests. Collect everything up and sell it one day. No shipping, no fees, no bs. Get cash that day the second it goes into someone elses hand. I like hamfests because the buyer can physically see the condition of the radio/scanner and can ask questions directly to the seller without having to wait for a reply.

prcguy

For certain radio items, Ebay is the very best and will get you the most $$ possible due to the massive audience. I've put many radios on Ebay only to get more from them used than I paid new.

I have had great and usually instant success with QRZ.com, things usually sell within an hour or less of posting if its priced right.

Golay

My suggestion is you are unsure what to ask for it is Ebay.
You may think that HT600 is only worth $20, or you may think it's worth $200. I don't know about you, but as for me, I honestly don't know what a fair price is for half the crap I've accumulated thru the years.
If you're not quite sure what it's really worth, get on Ebay.

If on the other hand, you know what you want for the equipment, do it on Facebook.
The advantage of Facebook is no one is anonymous. You see a real name. You can google the name, and make sure it's a real name.

And make sure it's an actual ham. If you're selling ham gear, just sell to hams. Hams you can match the name on Facebook, with the call on the ULS.
And you can match the address you are shipping to, with the address on ULS.
Two things that will greatly reduce the probability of you getting ripped off buying and selling.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I recommend QRZ.com and eHam.net as well. With QRZ, you will need to post a photo of the item with your QSL card or a piece of paper with your callsign written on it. If you are not into trades and or your price is firm, you should make that clear in your listing to avoid a flood of questions and low ball offers.

Hans13

The advantage of Facebook is no one is anonymous. You see a real name. You can google the name, and make sure it's a real name.

Don't rely on that. I know of sock puppets that have whole lives on the web and they aren't exactly real people. You can google them and they have a history; education, personal lives, professional lives. Some have been on there since the beginning. One cannot be sure that someone is who they say they are on Facebook short of seeing them and all of their credentials in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.