Where can I buy Uniden SDS 200 directly in the USA ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotmill57

I live in Indonesia, and have had a hobby of monitoring since 2000. Among the radios that I want to have is Uniden SDS 200. In the coming June I will go to US. But I have searched the internet, most of which sell the radio online. I want information from members here, especially those who live in America, is there a shop that can sell the radio directly?

My plan is to visit the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco and finally New York.

Thank you in advance for the information.

Regards

kma371

QRT
Ham Radio Outlet in Oakland, about 25 minutes east of San Francisco sells them in store.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Ham Radio Outlets are in The Los Angeles area too. You can order the radio online and then pick it up at the local store of your choice.

Also, just curious what kind of frequencies do you like to listen to in Indonesia? Also, is there anything good to listen too?

hotmill57

Ham Radio Outlets are in The Los Angeles area too. You can order the radio online and then pick it up at the local store of your choice.

Also, just curious what kind of frequencies do you like to listen to in Indonesia? Also, is there anything good to listen too?

Thank you for additional information about HRO. Later I think which one is better

FYI,
Here I can listen to almost all digital modes available. For police, most use P25 at 800 Mhz. Then now many government and private institutions are using DMR. Especially in Jakarta, MRT trains use TETRA. Luckily I also have AOR DV1 which can decode TETRA

Of course many are still using analog. BTW, now I also use BCD 436 HP which is used daily

Regards.

Last edited:

hotmill57

We must find the frequency and program it ourselves. And the use of scanner radios here still has no clear rules. But as far as I know there are also many scanner users here.

hotmill57

From the suggestions I received, all referring to the HRO store . I have seen the website and it was very interesting. It seems like I will come straight, look and buy right then. To buy online is a bit too difficult for me .

Thanks again for all, I can't wait for June to immediately crawl the radio of my dreams ......

Regards

radio3353

How do returns work in Indonesia if you buy the radio in the US of A? There are reports of hum, defective displays, etc. of SDS200's. Just something to be aware of. I don't think Uniden USA will handle foreign returns. Best to verify you will have return/repair facility access.

TomTN

You should also purchase any required paid upgrades (DMR, etc) while in the U.S.

Test the radio at the store and you should be fine. They are far better than some would lead you to believe.

hotmill57

How do returns work in Indonesia if you buy the radio in the US of A? There are reports of hum, defective displays, etc. of SDS200's. Just something to be aware of. I don't think Uniden USA will handle foreign returns. Best to verify you will have return/repair facility access.

If the unit I bought has a problem, there seems to be nothing else that can be done if it has been brought back to Indonesia. To return to the factory, of course it must be through someone who lives in America. And the shipping costs back and forth are very expensive, coupled with customs issues.

Maybe it should be tried first in the shop. After that the risk is borne alone.:)

hotmill57

This is just a story, how difficult it is for radio scanner users outside of America. I have Uniden 436 HP that I bought used about two years ago here. Since I bought, I know that the unit has experienced an RTC error. And already doing the recommended method, still there is no change. The only way is to take part in a repair program. The problem is that ... Uniden does not accept the unit if the address is outside the United States.

Finally I leave it until now. The important thing is that other functions are going well ...

Regards,

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Please explain, in which case problems can arise. I don't think it would be a problem to bring out a scanner bought in America, right?

I don't know but it's something you should look into before actually doing it. I know there are some restrictions on what technologies can be shipped out of our country internationally. Back when the the U.S. was involved with the Gulf Warm I had someone in Israel bid on some used computer hard drives I was selling. Ebay cancelled my auction and advised me I can't ship computer technology to Isreal. I've heard/read about similar restrictions over the years but I don't know the details of the restrictions.

allend

Premium Subscriber
If I was you I would not buy the SDS 200 radio if you think there could be a problem and you live out of the country. You will get that Hum noise and if you have any problems you bought a 700 dollars paper weight for Indonesia. I would just purchase the BCD996P2 radio since its a work horse radio and will never give you any trouble. You can purchase the DMR and NXDN if needed, but most likely these modulations are probably not used in your country. Most likely maybe and I mean maybe some P25 but mostly Analog for you.

hotmill57

I don't know but it's something you should look into before actually doing it. I know there are some restrictions on what technologies can be shipped out of our country internationally. Back when the the U.S. was involved with the Gulf Warm I had someone in Israel bid on some used computer hard drives I was selling. Ebay cancelled my auction and advised me I can't ship computer technology to Isreal. I've heard/read about similar restrictions over the years but I don't know the details of the restrictions.

Honestly I m not too worried about this. My friend just returned from USA and he brought SDS 100 without problems. In 2011, my son went to America and came home with my order, Radio Shack RS 106 . No problem.

For this time, I want to bring something for myself. Why SDS 200 because I think it's the most sophisticated desktop scanner to date. For portable I already have a 436 HP series and I am not interested in replacing it with SDS 100:)

Regards

hotmill57

If I was you I would not buy the SDS 200 radio if you think there could be a problem and you live out of the country. You will get that Hum noise and if you have any problems you bought a 700 dollars paper weight for Indonesia. I would just purchase the BCD996P2 radio since its a work horse radio and will never give you any trouble. You can purchase the DMR and NXDN if needed, but most likely these modulations are probably not used in your country. Most likely maybe and I mean maybe some P25 but mostly Analog for you.

If the reason is technical, maybe I will rethink about SDS 200. I read in this forum about hum noise and dimmers on problem units. For sure, whatever unit I buy, I will definitely upgrade to DMR and NXDN. In Indonesia, P25 has been used by the police since 10 years ago. And now many government and private users use DMR. While the NXDN is only used by a few military units.

996P2 seems quite interesting, while for 536HP I read there is also a problem with the dark LCD and RTC error. CMIIW

Regards

radio3353

If the unit I bought has a problem, there seems to be nothing else that can be done if it has been brought back to Indonesia. To return to the factory, of course it must be through someone who lives in America. And the shipping costs back and forth are very expensive, coupled with customs issues.

Maybe it should be tried first in the shop. After that the risk is borne alone.:)

Too risky for me but I wish you luck. There are some verifiable problems with some SDS200 radios (hum, display problems, lackluster VHF/UHF performance.) It would be an expensive mistake if you got a dud. To each his own though.

Status
Not open for further replies.