where info comes from

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hello, i was just wondering where exactly the info in the database comes from, i understand that some of it is entered in by people, but what about the new stuff?? i was just wondering where exactly i can go to find that out...... is there a certain part of the fcc website that lists new licsenses/frequencies every day one comes out that someone constantly checks?? or how is it done?

hoser147

Some people check the FCC site for new lic. grants, some find them using a search mode on a scanner. I wouldnt call the FCC site exactly user freindly, but there is alot of info there, all new scanners have to have approval of plans and what not. Some of the members know the site very well.............Hoser

Don_Burke

jakegday said:
hello, i was just wondering where exactly the info in the database comes from, i understand that some of it is entered in by people, but what about the new stuff?? i was just wondering where exactly i can go to find that out...... is there a certain part of the fcc website that lists new licsenses/frequencies every day one comes out that someone constantly checks?? or how is it done?

Much of the info comes from listening.

You can search by many parameters, including date, here:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

jakegday

Banned
where at on the site do you check for new lisense grants?

nd5y

Last edited:

Airdorn

I'd like to know where detailed talkgroup info comes from, like the descriptions. Are these just educated guesses based on listening, or do people somehow obtain accurate TGID info some other way?

captclint

Mentor
Airdorn said:
I'd like to know where detailed talkgroup info comes from, like the descriptions. Are these just educated guesses based on listening, or do people somehow obtain accurate TGID info some other way?
I've done 5 business LTR systems from scratch (frequencies & TGID's) without trunker software. All TGID's came from endless hours of listening to blah, blah, blah. Eventually, each users slips with pieces of info that allow 99% ID's. I suspect around 50% of the Public Safety systems are done the same way. The other half come from official contacts within the agencies.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Airdorn said:

Its not exactly guessing. If you hear constant police dispatching from a talkgroup and can put together where the streets are then guess what you know what the talkgroup is and where it is. Then say on a police tac channel. You hear someone say meet me on tac 1 and then a new talkgroup he says XXX on tac 1. Most get spelled out exactly what they are. Some of the other ones are based on what people hear. For example I recently submitted a narcotics surveillance TG on a system I monitor. They kept talking about narcotics and you could easily tell it was a surveillance operation so that is what it is (even if its not the "official" name of it).

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Just as a heads up we do not accept information stripped from the FCC database. We need personal confirmation that what you're submitting has been verified as active or exists at a location (like a radio site).

Submitting something like a frequency, vague agency name and FCC license isn't adequate enough.

mikeydcg2003

I get mine by talking to other people who are local scanners and we share information back and forth. Also the easiest one for trunked systems is to set your scanner to search.

jakegday

Banned
mikeydcg2003 said:
I get mine by talking to other people who are local scanners and we share information back and forth. .

lol i would LOVE to get into a situation like that but i just dont know where or how to find these people

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
You've made a good start by gettting on the Nebraska forum. As you were told there, it sounds like you'll need a digital scanner to listen to your local PD.
Here in Utah, we have formed into a "group" of individuals that meet once a month and trade private messages back and forth as we hear new Talk Groups or freqs in the area. We also, collectively, verify new info or changes to the Database before submitting them.

You need to reach out to the individuals in your area, and you will find that they are willing to help and answer your questions. But you need to be willing to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.