Where should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I know this is a little off-topic from monitoring rail road radio, but since those who monitor this are most likely to be informed, I'm coming here for suggestions.

I have always wanted to take a rail trip, since being a young kid. I have the time and funds to do it now and I would like to hear suggestions on destinations from Tampa, Florida, round trip. What is available as far as accommodations are concerned? I would like to travel "first class". Are meals provided? Any suggestions as to what is best to bring along, other than the obvious normal luggage and camera, etc.

I know I can look this up on travel sites, and I have, but I thought maybe others out there might have had real-time experience with it that might not be on a travel site. I also am attracted to the rail roads and have an interest in the trains and their operation as much as in the sites and locations. I can spend several weeks on my trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.

k6cpo

One of the best Amtrak routes is the Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Seattle. There is some gorgeous scenery along the way. My wife and I are doing it again later this year.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
One of the best Amtrak routes is the Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Seattle. There is some gorgeous scenery along the way. My wife and I are doing it again later this year.

Hum. If I could add a route from Tampa to LA that runs along the southwest it could make a nice trip indeed. Thanks

zero2sixty

Banned
Banned
I know this is a little off-topic from monitoring rail road radio, but since those who monitor this are most likely to be informed, I'm coming here for suggestions.

I have always wanted to take a rail trip, since being a young kid. I have the time and funds to do it now and I would like to hear suggestions on destinations from Tampa, Florida, round trip. What is available as far as accommodations are concerned? I would like to travel "first class". Are meals provided? Any suggestions as to what is best to bring along, other than the obvious normal luggage and camera, etc.

I know I can look this up on travel sites, and I have, but I thought maybe others out there might have had real-time experience with it that might not be on a travel site. I also am attracted to the rail roads and have an interest in the trains and their operation as much as in the sites and locations. I can spend several weeks on my trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If this is your first railroad endeavor try TECO to get your feet wet. AMTRAK Tampa Union Station is one of those reverse move stations which in itself is truly entertaining so before you book anything go there and bear witness to that. Youtube has a bunch of videos where the little air whistle the brakeman uses that's attached to the rear AMFLEET's brake hose is used to warn vehicular traffic at the grade crossings. Since this is actually your first experience with traveling by train take the short run to Miami via SB Silver Meteor/Silver Star Service trains.

BTW: Firearms are allowed on AMTRAK trains in checked baggage with 48 hours notice through reservations.

I'm quite sure you'll get much more info soon, take care.

zero2sixty

Banned
Banned
One or two other things. AMTRAK initially suspended the FL/CA Sunset Limited Service after the Big Bayou Canot Derailment in 1993 and pretty much wrote that line off after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The AMTRAK Silver Service trains run from NYP to MIA and by the time they hit TUS the AMFLEET cars are rolling garbage cans, the restrooms reek of pure unadulterated sewage. That's one of the reasons seasoned travelers affectionately call them cattle cars. Cabin cars are the norm for long distance travel but for TUS to MIA it's too short a run to spend the cash so just enjoy the ride. Once in Miami you got Tri-Rail, Brightline, Metrorail, PeopleMover and Miami's Gold Coast Railroad Museum. locally you have The Florida Railroad Museum in Sarasota. If the bug bites you, look North, Northwest and west of the Florida/Georgia border as that's where the real world of railroading is. Your thesis for your railroad doctorate will be a well deserved visit to UP Bailey Yard a/k/a Foamers Heaven. As a starting point to maximize your traveling experience consider a minimum 100 channel portable scanner and program the initial 97 VHF FM AAR railroad channel plan, toss in the two UHF EOT frequencies for freight movement notifications also. Check the Florida Database and RR Wiki to learn all you can, you'll get plenty of invaluable tips, advice and help in short order. NXDN's on the horizon and already in Florida in some areas. DMR too. Enjoy. Or as one Tri-Rail engineer coming out of Hialeah N/B says: Giddy-up.

Last edited:

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Took the Amtrak (Texas Eagle) from San Antonio to Dallas a few years ago it was a fun trip,wish you good luck in finding info for your trip....
Thanks. I have been looking in earnest through a maze of information, there are several possible routes that look interesting. I assume I can bring my HT with me. From what I have read there are facilities for charging USB based devices and there is 110V available also. Too bad about the RPG ban, I was going to see if I could make an addition to the Mt. Rushmore collection.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Looks like I'm going to go round trip from Tampa to New York city on the Amtrak Silver Meteor. I will have a sleeper car for the trip and will bring my HT along to listen to. The trip includes 3 free days in New York so I can visit Patterson while I'm there. Thanks to all for your input. I'm looking forward to it.

lady_titanos

Looks like I'm going to go round trip from Tampa to New York city on the Amtrak Silver Meteor. I will have a sleeper car for the trip and will bring my HT along to listen to. The trip includes 3 free days in New York so I can visit Patterson while I'm there. Thanks to all for your input. I'm looking forward to it.

When are you going? I'll be taking the Meteor home from Miami in 2 weeks, so depending on which of us goes first, maybe we can help each other out!

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
As it stands, my trip will be at the end of this month. I'm looking forward to it very much and I'm excited to be visiting Patterson and all the friends there. Thanks for all the input everyone.

dunestalker

GMRS: WRDN689
Premium Subscriber
FWIW, the wife and I took the Missouri River Runner between Kansas City, MO and St. Louis, MO (routes 314/313) a few years back and really enjoyed it. We got business class tickets so we were able to ride in the front car on the trips with reclining seats and t-o-n-s of legroom! The views of the Missouri River were great as were the views of the Missouri farmland. We've taken this trip twice now and both times have been equally enjoyable. Anyway, I thought I'd just drop in my $.02 just in case you ever get to this part of the country.

scanmanmi

If you're into trains maybe a shorter local trip may interest you. There are lots of options here in Michigan with some historic rail operators. Therer are several themed trips and some you can ride in the locomotive. Maybe you can find something there. Check with a railroad museum.

Hands on the Throttle Experience - PM 1225 :: Steam Railroading Institute
Coopersville & Marne Railway - 2019 Schedule
Coopersville & Marne Railway - Ride in the Locomotive
http://www.orangeblossomcannonball.com/

Last edited:

dunestalker

GMRS: WRDN689
Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.