R30 Where to buy second hand

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
  • It might be configured differently; perhaps a digital mode used here might not be included, frequency ranges might be different or certain features and accessories not included or incorrect for North American use.
This definitely can be true. Recently I was curious about an unblocked R6 from Japan. The specs indicated many sections of legit U.S. spectrum were disabled, to the point where it would have been really crippled.

nah95

Arrived today. 10 days to ship from Japan to the UAE. Everything is as described. Aside from the box being open, I don't see any faults. Most of the accessories are still sealed. All the documentation is exclusively in Japanese. Paid USD990 + local taxes/import fees.

Next step is the learning curve. I've only had the Uniden BC75XLT previously. o_O

2024-01-10 21_44_22-Window.png2024-01-10 21_43_52-Window.png

GadgetGeek

Arrived today. 10 days to ship from Japan to the UAE. Everything is as described. Aside from the box being open, I don't see any faults. Most of the accessories are still sealed. All the documentation is exclusively in Japanese. Paid USD990 + local taxes/import fees.

Next step is the learning curve. I've only had the Uniden BC75XLT previously. o_O

View attachment 154609View attachment 154610
Nice. Good luck with it. It's a great handheld receiver. Also very easy to use. Maybe pick up a AA battery case and/or extra battery. Don't know how long the OEM battery will be available.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Various Mil air frequencies and some 400MHz range are blocked on the Japanese version. Your BC75XLT does not RX Mil air now, so you may not be bothered by not having that on the R30. Also, any firmware updates need to be the one intended for that version. For shortwave, AM & FM broadcast, civilian air and up to around 253 MHz you’re good until the gaps hit.

As tempted as I was to purchase radio stuff in Japan I avoided it, due to the coverage and price concern. I only purchased a tiny broadcast radio so I could listen to the Sumo matches and some music. Even camera lenses were several hundred dollars less in the U.S. It took all of my willpower to not purchase a new lens once, but I was leaving and coming back shortly.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Its a great handheld receiver. But being neutered, I would not want one. For $900 you paid, could have sold you my second R30, maybe. Maybe reach out to icom to see if they will adjust it to USA version?

palmerjrusa

Its a great handheld receiver. But being neutered, I would not want one. For $900 you paid, could have sold you my second R30, maybe. Maybe reach out to icom to see if they will adjust it to USA version?

If it's unblocked re certain frequencies here in the US Icom won't touch it since, from a legal perspective, no one is supposed to own such radios here.

nah95

I actually wasn't aware of there being a Japanese, US and rest of the world version of the R30. I only assumed the latter 2 existed.

I'm fine with it though. It's only minor gaps and I doubt there's anything significant I'm missing out on. In this part of the world at least.

I've found plenty of good stuff to listen to already. 🤓

Kiniutech

Past login as: questnz
Premium Subscriber
Looks like I scored a bargain of the year.
About a month ago I purchased on NZ-classified FT60 for NZ$185 = US$114 +/-
Then about two weeks ago another bargain even better, Icom R30 for NZ725 = US$446 +/-
Yes, please don't cry!
Both are in brand-new condition, r30 also comes with a soft leather case!. Refreshed Firmware to 1.0xE (latest) from Icom JP,
FT60 will be used for RX only. Already purchases RT systems software for both. Good addition to my other toys.
Still waiting for the Jury to decide on Uniden 160 (I already have 126AT) and Icom r15, waiting for slow-coming reviews as Uniden is out already.

FT60.jpgR30.jpg