Where to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosenden

Is Radio Shack and the internet the only place you can buy a scanner. Im looking to buy but feeling kinda limited. Also, will i expect to get more range with a digital or is there no difference? Hope im not asking to many stupid questions, ive been reading up in the wiki but it reminds me of algebra class! Thinking of going with the bcd396xt. seems like the most bang for the buck, but wondering if i can learn how to operate it! Thanks for the input. Love this forum!!

n0vza

Where to buy - in Metro

In the "metro" area, besides Radio Shack, there are two businesses that I have done repeated business with over the decades. They both carry the Uniden scanners and as I recall, Action Radio also has the GRE scanners. Both businesses sell these products at a higher price than you can find on the "net", but if you want "local" and face-to-face dealings, here are two for you.

Radio City
Mounds View, MN
Radio City, Inc.
(800) 426-2891

Action Radio and Communcations
Maple Grove, MN
Action Radio and Communications, Inc.
(763) 391-6611

For all practical purposes there is no difference in range between analog and digital scanning.

The 396xt is a great scanner. I have one. From what I understand, the Uniden Home Patrol scanner is easy to operate - just enter your zip code and is just starts working.

K

kb0nly

You will however want a digital scanner... No sense in buying an analog unit when everyone is going to ARMER anyway.

hamms1

Bcd396xt

I jusr bought this scanner and really like it. One question though for nOvza. Where and when do you put in your zipcode? Thank you

n0vza

Did you get the 396xt or Home Patrol?

The Home Patrol has the feature to use your Zip Code to setup/configure. The 396xt does not.

Let me know what you purchased and I will try to get you up and running.

mosenden

Is there only one home patrol on the market now or is there a first or second generation? Ive seen them on amazon for different prices.

n0vza

I'm not sure what you have seen on the "net", but as I recall, there is only one model of the Home Patrol. There has been a recent "you pay for" software upgrade.

For more information, I would suggest checking out the Radio Reference forum "Uniden Scanners" and read the various postings concerning the Home Patrol or HP. Here is a link to the forum:

Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference.com Forums

mk262

Premium Subscriber
If you know someone who works at radio shack, they could buy you something decent like a pro-197 for a pretty big discount.

n0vza

Congratulations. It looks like you are a RR member and can use the RR "software" download feature of certain scanner programming software. There are a few programs available, check out the forums for other people's experiences, comments, and opinions.

I use the Butel ARC-XT Pro program. Listed below is the link to their web site where you can read the specs and pricing. As I recall, the software can also be obtained from Scanner Master (check the add in the upper left corner of almost any RR web page.

Software for Uniden HOME PATROL HP1 HP-1 PRO-700 Radioshack GRE GRECOM MFJ DSE AOR police scanner software BCD996XT BCD396XT BC346T BCT15X PRO-404 PRO-405 PRO-97 PRO-96 PRO-2096 PRO-106 PRO-197 PRO-164 PRO-160 PRO-162 psr500 psr600 psr300 psr400 psr1

This software does work well with the RR downloads.

If you want, send me a PM (private message) about where you are (location - to determine which ARMER towers you might be able to pick-up) and what you want to listen to (to determine what ARMER talk-groups you may need).

Status
Not open for further replies.