Which is best Pre Amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duramaxman

Premium Subscriber
I have the Pro 106 and I am interested in getting something to boost the signal freq's 450's 460's. What is the best I can get for around $50, thanks in advance. Oh, I hope Im in the right place for this, if not please tell me.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You won't need a preamp in most cases, and will almost surely will suffer from intermod if you do opt to use one.
However, experimenting with different antennas will have interesting (and fun) results! :wink:

n9zas

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Not recommended!

Most handheld scanners do not handle preamps well. Second, the part of the band that you seek to amplify is way too close to UHF paging
(462 MHZ.) which is already loaded with intermod. Add to that problem, you driving by an area that is heavy with intermod, and you could desensitize your scanner completely. I would suggest trying different antennas before adding or switching to a preamp. Just my 2 cents worth from prior experience. Good Luck!

Manny

Last edited:

bluefox2163

hamtronics.com

they have the lnkWB which works excellent on my scanners for about $60 or so

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Heading the advise posted earlier. A preamp while maybe band specefic is not frequency specefic and will amplify EVERYthing not just the weak signals you are trying to hear but the strong and weaker garbage signals you are not wanting to hear. Depening yoon locations to area transmitters and system as well a bunch of other unmentioned factors, such as antenna and... - it may work or it may just bring in more trash for you to hear.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One thing no one has mentioned yet - coax! Using long runs of 58u (or similar cruddy cable) is going to cost you signal strength even at UHF. This quick and dirty chart makes this very clear;

Coax Cable Loss

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.