Whistler Scanners and Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonbrittas

Thanks edmscan for the help.My PC now recognises my Whistler 1088 and i have the latest DMR update.Just have to figure out how to set it up now.I purchased this specific scanner because there are lots of mototrbo transmission in my local area in the UK.

Ed6698

Well hopefully this issue has been finally fixed. I just noticed that one of the fixes in this last update should have corrected this issue.

•Changed the method used to detect the correct COM port for the scanner to take advantage of the Windows 10 feature that will automatically load the usbser windows driver for the scanner.

Ed6698

I just verified that there is no issue with Win 10 and EZScan.

I downloaded and installed EZScan for the 1095 from Whistlers website on a Win10 laptop, this computer has never had a scanner hooked up to it.

First thing I did after it installed was to run the PC Application update. After the update I hooked my scanner to laptop, first thing I tried was Set Real Time Clock to Computer Time, worked with no problems, then proceeded to Copy Configuration From Scanner/SD card. I did not even have to attempt to install/workaround or anything to get computer to work with scanner.

Best thing for anyone that installs EZScan is to run the PC Application update first thing, before doing anything else.

I am not guaranteeing everyone will have this success, but as far as I see it, this is no longer a issue.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
This thread apparently continues to apply to the newer TRX models as well as the old. If you are in doubt about the driver installation, run "Device Manager" under the Control Panel" to verify that both the logical drive is connected to the Serial Port in the EZScan programming and edit mode AND the CPU/DSP Update mode. You should see the actual named device <Scanner: i.e. Whistler 1080 COM x> installed. If it's not installed properly, see post number one: http://forums.radioreference.com/wh...istler-scanners-windows-10-a.html#post2429081

Here is the Wiki entry also: Connection Issues Under Win 10.x Using the WS-1080 / 1095 - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Right, and it still didn't work on my Ws1080/88 installation.

Using the latest FTDI drivers downloaded from the Whistler site as you pointed out, attempted to install and says it digitally signed, but "requires further installation".

Once the driver was installed, I still had to go back to the Whistler site and get the Ws1080.inf driver (or copy from the SD card). Then reboot into troubleshooting mode for unsigned drivers in Windows 10, followed by update the driver. Then the Ws1080.inf file was able to be installed as an "unsigned" driver.

Attachments

• Win10prousb.jpg
    Win10prousb.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 667
  • Best Driver Already.jpg
    Best Driver Already.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 676
  • Digitally Signed.jpg
    Digitally Signed.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 670
  • Requires Further.jpg
    Requires Further.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,622
  • Whistler site inf.jpg
    Whistler site inf.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 670

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Now after the driver is correctly identified, Device Manager reports the driver correctly and EZScan now works as it should.

Attachments

• WS1080inf.jpg
    WS1080inf.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 657
  • Installing Driver.jpg
    Installing Driver.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 661
  • Can not verify.PNG
    Can not verify.PNG
    47.2 KB · Views: 724
  • Driver installed.jpg
    Driver installed.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 691
  • Installed.PNG
    Installed.PNG
    36.1 KB · Views: 696

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I can't speak for your TRX device driver, but the WS1088 and 98 are now working correctly for SD card interface & Firmware updates (CPU/DSP).

Ed6698

None of these steps should even need to be done anymore. There is no need even to download that other FTDI file or do a manual install of a driver. I installed EZScan and first thing ran the PC Application update, the latest update to EZScan takes care of the WIn10 issue. I have actually done this now on 2 Win 10 computers.

Ed6698

Strange, before hooking any scanner up to computer with 2 different PCs and clean installs of Win10 all I had to do was download EZScan, install it, run the PC Application update. Plugged in scanner and it worked on 2 different PCs. Actually I have done it 4 times, 2 times with the 1080, 2 times with the 1095. No additional steps at all. I can see having issues if a scanner is plugged into computer before hand.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I don't know what to tell you. Strange or not, it would not see the radio without the installed unsigned inf driver. It would see the SD card just fine as a logical device, just as a SD card from a camera interface would. Seems to be the story on every GRE/RadioShack (Whistler OEM), and Whistler model so far.

And yes, it's the latest downloaded FTDI driver directly from the Whistler site.

Something that should be addressed, IMHO.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
True! However, if the inf file was digitally signed it would not be an issue and would be installed correctly when the EZScan software is installed. I only know this because with the Windows troubleshooting method, EZScan opens the inf driver file upon installation prior to running EZScan for the first time.

Ed6698

The only other possible thing I think it could be is if the scanner is connected to computer at any time before EZScan and the update to EZScan is installed and Windows is allowed to install a driver.

Maybe I will try later to see on my 3rd Win10 Pc. All 3 Pcs are different, 1 is a custom build by me, 1 is a Dell laptop, 3rd will be a HP laptop. Might even try it on my Dell Win 7 laptop which would be the 4th.

I would think if I successfully install it on 4 different computers, it would tell me people are plugging in the scanner to computer before installing EZScan and the update. Once Windows installs a driver, that's when the issues start.

D

darunimal

DaveIN was your scanner hooked upto the computer first?, before the download, installation and update of the EZ-Scan software, for the TRex Series. I'm not asking about the 1095 or 1098, just literally the TRex with a USB cable to the PC before anything else.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Not sure what your "driving" at, Ed. [emoji851] If that helps you to understand why it happens I'm not sure what to tell you. It's the same problem across Windows platforms. The driver ("inf" file for each GRE/RadioShack/Whistler model) is not digitally signed, forcing the user to update the driver in the troubleshooting mode (specifically, select restart method 7 in Windows 10).

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I've made my point and have updated the Wiki for those who may need it until the problem (for some) has been resolved by digitally signing the inf driver files. Hopefully this discussion has helped others.

Status
Not open for further replies.