Whistler to Launch New LSM Capable Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You have to remember this will be a new hardware platform... it's not just a matter of slapping some new firmware into an existing radio.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
It would be nice for people like me if WHISTLER would offer this as an upgrade for the TRX-1 and or TRX-2 . I have not had my TRX-1 a year yet and then the scanner world comes out with another higher priced scanner that does even more. If your like me I can not afford $600.00 or more every year to keep up with all the changes. I hope I am not the only one that feels this way. If more people feel as I perhaps we need to let WHISTLER know. I have already sent them communication on this and of course I have not got a reply yet. Might not. However I really like my TRX-1 . 100% satisfied

You also should ask yourself: Do I need any of the newer features of the new scanners?

Unless you need a scanner:
1. Capable of handling simulcast.
2. That has built-in bluetooth

The TRX-1 you bought less than a year ago is capable of everything else the newer model will offer. If you are 100% satisfied then you should just keep what you have.

columbas

Premium Subscriber
The only reason I had mention anything about an upgrade is if you all remember when WHISTLER came out with NXDN they had offered a free upgrade for the TRX 1 and 2. scanner for those that had purchased this scanner, Now I am not being cheap for I would gladly pay for any upgrade that WHISTLER would offer if any for the TRX-1 and 2. .

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The only reason I had mention anything about an upgrade is if you all remember when WHISTLER came out with NXDN they had offered a free upgrade for the TRX 1 and 2. scanner for those that had purchased this scanner, Now I am not being cheap for I would gladly pay for any upgrade that WHISTLER would offer if any for the TRX-1 and 2. .

Fixing LSM isn't a "firmware upgrade" thing...it's a hardware thing...

columbas

Premium Subscriber
Trx-100 / trx 200

Thank you for your input . Have a blessed day. Thanks.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Well, that is a deal-breaker. I don't understand why Whistler didn't buy the buy the license to do so. I am highly disappointed even with the offer of Bluetooth.

You are correct Ensnared 2934567 . Gre/Whistler lost the Rights to Trunktracking some time ago when they still made Scanners for Radio Shack. not sure of the Exact date but there are Articles printed at the time. guess Whistler is unable or Unwilling to obtain License to use Trunktracking tech.

mule1075

Feed Provider
You are correct Ensnared 2934567 . Gre/Whistler lost the Rights to Trunktracking some time ago when they still made Scanners for Radio Shack. not sure of the Exact date but there are Articles printed at the time. guess Whistler is unable or Unwilling to obtain License to use Trunktracking tech.
Complete nonsense if that was the case the scanners they have now would not track p25 systems.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Propriety Rights?

Complete nonsense if that was the case the scanners they have now would not track p25 systems.

Ok, now I am really confused. I thought it was the propriety rights that Whistler did not buy. I know my PSR 500 did well on tracking trunking systems until linear simulcast distortion entered the picture. Then, I bought a 436HP.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Whistler trunk tracks P25, but not DMR or NXDN. The IP rights for each format are separate.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Spot-On

Whistler trunk tracks P25, but not DMR or NXDN. The IP rights for each format are separate.

That is what I thought. Thank you sir. If Whistler did fix this issue, I would likely buy one of the new radios that reportedly does better at decoding P25 signals.

Melv7956

I wonder will I be able to load all the frequencies I have for my trx1 via ez into the new scanner or will I have to start from scratch again? This for me would be a deal breaker as it has taken me two years to get what I have now and don’t want to have to manually input it into ez again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radios4bill

I wonder will I be able to load all the frequencies I have for my trx1 via ez into the new scanner or will I have to start from scratch again? This for me would be a deal breaker as it has taken me two years to get what I have now and don’t want to have to manually input it into ez again.

GRE/Whistler ALL DAY LONG! Let’s just hope for a better screen!

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Multiple color screen options please. I really prefer a black background with white text...much easier on the eyes.

Another thing I’d like to see is an “out of range” indicator on trunked systems.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Selective

Clearly, you cannot believe everything you read here - lots of dumb comments.

No, not always. I trust many on here. For some, they are required to go through life hoping their two neurons will eventually collide so that a thought can be formed, LOL.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No I did not miss it, still would not want it for the battery, I highly doubt that battery will last any length of life from constant everyday charging. Should of at least gave some alternative option for battery power.

Lithium batteries are the best performing battery type with regard to the number of charge-discharge cycles before capacity diminishes to unacceptable levels. They work fine in cell phones, which are charged and discharged every day, and are typically used 24/7/365. Any other battery option will be the same or worse.

And USB power is an alternative to running from the battery.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Well I’m just happy that BOTH companies are FINALLY releasing products that address LSM by using an I/Q demodulator. After that, everything else is personal bells and whistles ! I do admit the Uniden display that Marshall posted is sexy...but Whistler is also releasing a mobile/base version as well as portable. So eat that !!! LOL.

KB7MIB

I want to see what the TRX-100 is going to look like. I am not a fan of the TRX-1 case. The 100 is going to need a better body and screen.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.