Whistler to Launch New LSM Capable Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Whistler to Launch New LSM Capable Scanners

Bentonville, AR– (May 17, 2018) The Whistler Group, Inc., a leading industry supplier of state-of the-art mobile electronics, announced today that they are in development of two new scanner models – the TRX-100 and TRX-200.

“Over the past 12 months, Whistler has listened to our customers and has worked to bring them what they have requested most,” said Wendy Taylor, Marketing Director at Whistler. “I am pleased to say that we are in development of the TRX-100 (handheld) and TRX-200 (desktop/Mobile) scanners which will feature an I/Q demodulator and A2DP Bluetooth Transceiver.”

Until now, traditional scanners have not had the ability to handle QPSK, a modulation scheme generated by Phase I and II simulcast systems, and as a result have fallen short when attempting to demodulate these signals resulting in poor reception and intelligible voice. With the addition of the I/Q demodulator, the TRX-100 and TRX-200 will outperform traditional scanners during weak signal conditions and Linear Simulcast Modulations (LSM), an issue that has plagued many customers.

Additionally, the A2DP Bluetooth transceiver will enable customers to pair common Bluetooth devices such as their favorite headphones or speaker for a completely wireless user experience in the home or on the go. The Bluetooth transceiver also opens up new opportunities for Whistler to partner with 3rd party developers to create virtual scanner apps which would allow the user to control the scanner remotely.

Like the TRX-1 and TRX-2, not only will these new models decode all major digital voice modes including P25 Phase I and II, they will also include DMR and NXDN at no additional cost to the customer.

The TRX-100 and TRX-200 will also include the advanced features you have come to trust from a Whistler Scanner:

Full backlit alphanumeric keypad
Scan, Pause, Select and navigation controls
All USA/Canada services and frequencies pre-programmed onto included SD Card
Upgradeable CPU, DSP, and library
Store favorite scanlists
EZ Scan PC software
Permits recording by scannable object and saves into a Windows compatible audio file
Clock and calendar function adds date/time info to the recordings
Dedicated SKYWARN®/Weather button
Spectrum Sweeper
Programmable audio and visual alert system

The TRX-100 and TRX-200 will begin shipping in Q4 2018.

###

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
My biggest complaints about the TRX-2 I've had for 2 months now are that there is no method of measuring BER which the user can access, the lack of a spectrum scan for active control channels (basically returning Sys ID, WACN, Site ID, whether or not it is a Phase II capable system and advertised CC/ACs) and an easier way to export the .AU file into a more universal recording such as a .WAV file (easy to do in Linux though). The poor performance with Simulcast hasn't been too high on my complaint lists as I knew it would have an issue when I purchased it but didn't care as I had SU's for when I really wanted to monitor some things.

Good luck, would love to have the ability to throw one on a service monitor one day and actually spec it out some as a general communications receiver but that means trying to offload the TRX-2 I have already (which I did spec out to an extent).

P.S. When you do announce the actual receive specs, please don't just list the specs in µV since it is such a dated value these days when receivers are either spec'd in both or just dBm.

jje64

As long as Whistler does not tune the control carrier for trunking info, IMHO, it is a no go.

MyTRX1 is so slow to scan TGs. I was so disappointed in its performance.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
As long as Whistler does not tune the control carrier for trunking info, IMHO, it is a no go.

MyTRX1 is so slow to scan TGs. I was so disappointed in its performance.

That's a broad statement as that is how the scanner scans P25 and Smartnet. DMR and NXDN however, the system does not.

radio3353

Competition is good. Thanks Whistler for announcing this now before the SDS100 is released.

scannersnstuff

Competition is indeed good. But, copycats.

Actually, this is very good new's. Maybe competition will keep scanning alive. Thank's Whistler, and Wendy.

CQ

Maybe Not?

Is the TRX-200 going to use a different chassis and head as the TRX-2?

Is the TRX-200 going to have a better and larger screen with useful information?

Is it going to be horribly slow at booting like the TRX-2? And fixing just going into the Menu and having to wait minutes to continue scanning?

Am I going to have the same paging intermod problem with the TRX-200?

Is the TRX-200 going to actually trunk track all digital modes?

These are a start, but if none get addressed then it's DoA for me. Just some of the reasons I returned my TRX-2.

In development sounds rather far away and maybe slipping into next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.