Whistler Update on TRX100 & 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Can't completely blame the media for that; if PPD's perimeter control of a tactical scene (especially one requiring SWAT response) was bad enough that the media was able to slip through, I'd say there needs to be some training in perimeter and scene control at PPD.

I can't disagree that the media does a lot of really stupid things, though; they of course claim "First Amendment and the public's right to know" but they have an annoying tendency to divert attention from their bad manners by falling back on that argument when they do something wrong and know it.

I fully agree there, but of course PPD takes no responsibility for a weak perimeter. Two sides at fault in that situation for sure. Phoenix was 2,000 officers short a couple of years ago, and is now "only" 1,000 officers short. My son will reduce that number by (1) soon when he graduates the academy (already hired by PPD pending graduation), but that's still 999 short :). Our city manager and council decided to funnel millions into a silly light rail system instead of into law enforcement years back. At times a given precinct may be holding two hours of priority calls, and PPD is just plain short-handed. Just yesterday a lieutenant was saying that "someone" needed to get to a rape call holding for an hour and a half. So it's not surprising that they may have a hard time establishing a perimeter quickly in some cases. Anyway I'll say the real failure there is with the city itself.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
I would be Happy with Whistler, if they just Continued making and Developing the WS 1080/1095 scanners.
Whistler does NOT need to do a LSM Simulcast radio, just make the DARN BEST Analog and Conventional Digital scanner it can.
A Continious Coverage scanner with ALL Band ALL mode capability. and Flexable scanning steps to Receive Digital Narrowband better.
Whistler needs to find a way to License DIGITAL Trunking for ALL Modes but if they cant , its NOT a Deal breaker for me.
I'm fine with Scanning digital trunking in Conventional Mode. but adding Built in GPS and Bluetooth is a Given. It should have BOTH.

DJ11DLN

I would be Happy with Whistler, if they just Continued making and Developing the WS 1080/1095 scanners.
Whistler does NOT need to do a LSM Simulcast radio, just make the DARN BEST Analog and Conventional Digital scanner it can.
A Continious Coverage scanner with ALL Band ALL mode capability. and Flexable scanning steps to Receive Digital Narrowband better.
Whistler needs to find a way to License DIGITAL Trunking for ALL Modes but if they cant , its NOT a Deal breaker for me.
I'm fine with Scanning digital trunking in Conventional Mode. but adding Built in GPS and Bluetooth is a Given. It should have BOTH.
Bluetooth maybe, but I do believe Uniden holds a patent on GPS location control for scanning. As far as the licensing thing goes, it works well enough for some people now, but for people who need actual trunk-tracking of the various DMR and NXDN systems they could offer a paid upgrade the way Uniden does it. I'd be perfectly happy with that scenario. Licensing fees do exist, and Whistler would have to pay them to get true trunk tracking of these systems.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
A lot of us have no need for "DMR trunking". The TRX scanners are perfect for "searching" a range of frequencies, and finding DMR/NXDN info, with not much effort.

For trunking, my SDS's come into play.

And, isn't non-trunked DMR and NXDN "open standard" now?

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I did read "post 64", thus my response.

Someone should correct Wikipedia and other sources then.... Digital mobile radio - Wikipedia

Digital mobile radio (DMR) is an open digital mobile radio standard defined in the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) Standard TS 102 361 parts 1–4[1] and used in commercial products around the world. DMR, along with P25 phase II and NXDNare the main competitor technologies in achieving 6.25 kHz equivalent bandwidth using the proprietary AMBE+2 vocoder.
emphasis added

I don't see anything wrong with Wikipedia, the standard is open, you have to pay to use the vocoder, pretty straightforward.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Soooo.... how did that work out for Hytera?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
A lot of us have no need for "DMR trunking". The TRX scanners are perfect for "searching" a range of frequencies, and finding DMR/NXDN info, with not much effort.
For trunking, my SDS's come into play.

And, isn't non-trunked DMR and NXDN "open standard" now?
In theory you can listen to nxnd that way just by searching the range of frequencies the system uses. My cities NX 48 system serves Police who has about 12 talkgroups and the fire department who has about 12 talkgroups and it also serves city services like the dog catcher, garbage trucks, Housing Authority, Recreation services, mayor's office, DPW, the water department, the roads Department ECT.

I actually just listen to one talk group which is channel one dispatch for the police. If something's going on then I would switch to a secondary Channel.

So you can see the problem not being able to trunk on a busy weekday. While the bank robbery is going on I will be listening to a crew filling a pothole LOL.

Programming does allow you to scan talk groups but in my system there's a lot of missed and clipped Transmissions. I'm sure you can see the problem... but when the TRX first came out it sure beat having a laptop mounted in the car with DSD. LOL. Now my SDS also comes into play and very well I might add.

DJ11DLN

Thank you sir, some folks are having trouble grasping that concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More than "some," I would guess. "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" is another concept that seems lost on many. Somebody spent a lot of time, money, and effort developing and proving these standards, they deserve to be paid for their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.